size of flies?

The above statement is exactly my point. You BELIEVE in those BIG moal leeches and that is why you should be fishing them. You have confidence in them and that is what counts.

Bring those BIG flies the next time you come over. I will happily follow you through Poppy's riffle while using a hairwing. We most likely won't prove anything either way but it will be fun. Maybe Steelie Mike will be with you and I'll follow both of you through Poppy's riffle.
Poppy, I'll fish with you anytime. With any luck, I will be at the Clearwater Clave with the same ugly bunch you saw me with at the Sandy one. :beer2:

fredaevans

Some of those guys on the South Fork of the Clearwater in Feb, March are fishing sucker spawn flies down to size 14.

Fred are you swinging your "trout flies" or are you high sticking?
Actually a bit of both with a dry line. Cast is usually slightly up stream, and then I'll toss in one or two big up stream mends so the flies are coming down stream (and sinking) first. Once I get tension on the line then it's usually a straight swing.

Fred

fredaevans

The above statement is exactly my point. You BELIEVE in those BIG moal leeches and that is why you should be fishing them. You have confidence in them and that is what counts.
Exactly. Thinking about the comments on 'big flies/big water' and I honestly can't remember (save for a couple of high water trips over on the Chetco) where I've hooked a fish on a hook over a #4.
Fred

TallFlyGuy

Adipossessed!

Bring those BIG flies the next time you come over. I will happily follow you through Poppy's riffle while using a hairwing. We most likely won't prove anything either way but it will be fun. Maybe Steelie Mike will be with you and I'll follow both of you through Poppy's riffle.
Well this thread has been enlightening. Poppy, I'll try to make it over there to my home state of ID, where women are scarce and sheep are nervous :rofl: :rofl:.

Be careful, if i'm the first one through, I'll catch the fish:cool: :cool: . hehe, just ask those I fish with.

now now boys. I think the nail was hit on the head a long time ago, fish what you're confident in and enjoy fishing. Tall obviously catches alot of fish as does steelie mike and from what I gather they both prefer fishing large flies even during low water conditions. Obviously it works...look at their galleries. That being said, steelhead could just as effectively be taken on a #10 green butt skunk in the same conditions if you fish the fly well and fish it with confidence. The bottom line is that steelhead, especially native steelhead are aggressive. While they can sometimes be dour, more often then not if the conditions are favorable you can catch them on whatever you like. For me that means fishing small hairwings and dries in the summer. I am definitely the greenest steelheader to have weighed in on this, but I think its more or less true.
Thanks for the backup Will. It's nice to know someone doesn't think I'm a total greenhorn.

Seriously, if more than 50% of the time someone was follwing me through a run and hooking a fish, I'd have some serious self doubts about my fly and or my abilities, but hey, according the "internet experts" that "usually" happens.:beathead:

Panhandle

Didn't say that the lead guy doesn't usually hook the fish, but rather, that its not unusual if he doesn't. Clearly you're not a rookie, hell, you've probably been fishing longer than I and your a better fisherman. :confused:

Well this thread has been enlightening. Poppy, I'll try to make it over there to my home state of ID, where women are scarce and sheep are nervous :rofl: :rofl:.

Be careful, if i'm the first one through, I'll catch the fish:cool: :cool: . hehe, just ask those I fish with.
:
Now Justin, don't you mean hook fish the first time through the run?

Red Shed

"junkyard spey"
I like those long distance releases. One smokin run and a jump or two is enough for me. If the fish gets off after that then I don't have to get my creaky old frame down in the water to the fish's level to let them go.
To me, unless you plan to eat the fish once you've moved the fish to your fly you've won the round.

fullerfly

Calvin Fuller
Poppy,

I totally argree. I love the take! it is all about the Take!!! I can feel it my fingers, my elbows, and in my toes every frikin time I think about those damn fish. Fall is near...oh yes, fall is near.

inland

Tall,

Getting your pocket picked one time doesn't mean crapola. For well longer then a hundred years people have been catching steelhead on simple hairwings and the past 20 years, especially the past 10, they all of sudden don't work??? Righteeoo.

IF you don't fish hairwings they surely don't work. IF they don't stay on your line for more then 20 minutes/season they surely don't work. IF they were on your line for an entire season you would catch just as many fish. Tie a giant hairwing the same size and profile as your 'strike inducing' superflies and see what happens.

From July to mid October (or later depending on the river) I NEVER fish anything bigger then a size 4 ultra sparse wet (hairwings and tiny speys) east of Bonneville. Usually a size 6. Always on a floater. Or size 4/6/8 wakers (much more fun for me). It's how you fish not what. Time has proven it ALL works so I choose to fish tiny stuff.

Man you guys must be ultra competitive to get this worked up over one fish pulled from your boots all because you weren't dredging your kwickfish imitation...

William

TallFlyGuy

Adipossessed!
Tall,

Getting your pocket picked one time doesn't mean crapola. For well longer then a hundred years people have been catching steelhead on simple hairwings and the past 20 years, especially the past 10, they all of sudden don't work??? Righteeoo.

IF you don't fish hairwings they surely don't work. IF they don't stay on your line for more then 20 minutes/season they surely don't work. IF they were on your line for an entire season you would catch just as many fish. Tie a giant hairwing the same size and profile as your 'strike inducing' superflies and see what happens.

From July to mid October (or later depending on the river) I NEVER fish anything bigger then a size 4 ultra sparse wet (hairwings and tiny speys) east of Bonneville. Usually a size 6. Always on a floater. Or size 4/6/8 wakers (much more fun for me). It's how you fish not what. Time has proven it ALL works so I choose to fish tiny stuff.

Man you guys must be ultra competitive to get this worked up over one fish pulled from your boots all because you weren't dredging your kwickfish imitation...

William
Will, I didn't say that hairwings didn't work.

I'll wager you get outfished 2 to 1 when others use sink tips, but maybe you like the challenge of floating line and all that. Commendable yes.

kwickfish imitation, Ok thats just a little much.

Justin

Red Shed

"junkyard spey"
I'll wager you get outfished 2 to 1 when others use sink tips, but maybe you like the challenge of floating line and all that. Commendable yes.
The above statment may fly on some rivers you fish but I don't think it will fly on the Clearwater. If it was true all the old time regulars would be fishing tips and mega bugs. They are not!

As to the challenge, I'll take moving a fish to my fly on a floating line any day over using a sinktip to move my fly to the fish. It is definitely not the same thing.

Latest posts