Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Do you believe in Global Warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFR - Global Warming Poll

9K views 159 replies 50 participants last post by  chadk 
#1 ·
With all this global warming debate that has occured I'm just curious....

So, do you believe?

#2 ·
If anyone has objective evidence that it is caused by human activity please post it. Mann's hockey stick ,the poster child for human caused global warming, is an artifact caused by mathematical error. The IPCC should have demanded an independent audit of Mann's data. You know what they say, garbage in, garbage out.

#3 ·
Whether it's warming now or warming later, it will happen. Revelation 16:8 "And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire."Vs.9"And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory." You can debate with scientists til your brain turns to jello or you can just believe in God's Word and be secure about eternity. The world is in a state of entropy:The inevitable deterioration of a system/society. Look around, ain't nothin' gettin' better. You might say "technology and man is getting smarter",but, it is not solving societies' problems. Face it, the earth is dying. Do as much as you can to maintain the environment, but our resources will run out. And then, prepare to meet thy Maker (whether you believe in Him or not). Biblical reality. You can't argue with faith.

#4 ·
My answer: I have no possible way of making an opinion on something that I know absolutely nothing about. I have little education in meteorology or climates. So what it comes down to is basing an opinion on whatever side made the better presentation on TV or some magazine. At least that's the way I see it.

On the other hand, there is significant evidence to point that some type of climate changes are occurring. But whether or not they're being caused by man, or by a natural cycle of some sort is beyond anything that I'll ever claim to know anything about.

#7 ·
My answer: I have no possible way of making an opinion on something that I know absolutely nothing about. I have little to education in meteorology or climates. So what it comes down to is basing an opinion on whatever side made the better presentation on TV or some magazine. At least that's the way I see it.

On the other hand, there is significant evidence to point that some type of climate changes are occurring. But whether or not they're being caused by man, or by a natural cycle of some sort is beyond anything that I'll ever claim to know anything about.
I agree... I think most global warming alarmists downplay or ignore the earth having a natural cycle. We had ice ages before... but we are not in one now, so yeah the earth has warmed... I don't think creating hysteria helps. I do believe that we have an impact on our environment, take our salmon runs for example. I think we should be cautious with what we do around the environment. I think people that drive prius's do it because they want people to know they are eco-friendly (eco-snobs). But then again I'm a pretty conservative...

Scott

#6 ·
I'm kinda moderate on this subject, which is very unlike me, I'm usually pretty radical to one side or the other. Evidence suggests that humans are at least contributing to this warming cycle. that's where I am at the moment. We are contributors, but not entirely at fault. On the other hand, the Earth does have periods of warming and cooling, it has for eons without human intervention. We could just be at the beginning of another warming cycle. Personally, I find that less likely than a human contributor theory.
-Ethan

#9 ·
Whether Global warming is caused by man or not, there is a cyclical warming and cooling of the earth. The underlying issue is more about pollution than anything else. Even if we cut down on pollution by any percentage, and the world continues to warm, than we just have a cleaner world. What's wrong with that?

#14 ·
Who needs evidence? Those that deny, will deny. Those that agree will agree. You could slap some people across the cheek with a chicken thigh and they'd still say it was beef. Global warming is a left wing conspiracy. The denial of global warming is a right wing conspiracy. Let's just keep pumping out CO2 and see what happens shall we?

G
#15 ·
The scientific community is completely unified on the subject. The climate IS warming, and it IS due to human activities. Those are facts, it's not a debate. All this B.S. fair and balanced cable news americans watch now days has them convinced that because 3 or 4 climate scientists have sold out to oil companies that there is actual doubt. I think the real debate should be about a course of action.

I'm not so apocalyptic as many are. The world has been much warmer before and it will be much cooler (ice age) again. Its only a matter of when. I think we need to step back and remember that we are not seperate from the fate of the planet, but rather indelibly bound to it. We evolved here and so often people live like this planet provides us with infinite resources. The way we live on earth will change, its just a matter of how drastic things have to get before then.

Will

#36 ·
The scientific community is completely unified on the subject. The climate IS warming, and it IS due to human activities. Those are facts, it's not a debate. All this B.S. fair and balanced cable news americans watch now days has them convinced that because 3 or 4 climate scientists have sold out to oil companies that there is actual doubt. I think the real debate should be about a course of action.

I'm not so apocalyptic as many are. The world has been much warmer before and it will be much cooler (ice age) again. Its only a matter of when. I think we need to step back and remember that we are not seperate from the fate of the planet, but rather indelibly bound to it. We evolved here and so often people live like this planet provides us with infinite resources. The way we live on earth will change, its just a matter of how drastic things have to get before then.

Will
I think you mean 3 or 4 hundred scientists right.....unfortunately many believe the " unfair and imbalanced network news like yourself"

When you pick and choose your facts you can make anything look scary. Many glaciers are growing and advancing, not shrinking.

Perhaps it is an inconvenient truth but many glaciers are growing, not shrinking. The mass-hysteria crowd would have you believe that the earth is having a giant melt down. As Al Gore has said "the earth has a fever". This is pure alarmist shrill meant to scare people in to following their movement by faith, not by science. The facts according to the Nobel Peace Prize winning United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) are that the earth has warmed at the most .7C (that is point 7) and even they admit that much of that is natural. But of course much like Nostradamus they have dire predictions for the future. But these predictions are based on unproven computer models and many, many assumptions.
The chicken-little crowd will continue to try to scare people with propaganda, lies and misinformation but the facts are the sky is not falling and the earth does NOT "have a fever". The facts according to the Nobel Peace Prize winning IPCC is that the earth has warmed at the most .7C (that is point 7) in the past 100 years, much (probably all) of that is natural. We should not try to stop nature from doing what nature is going to do. The real 'inconvenient truth' is that Al Gore lied in his book, he knew that scientists didn't agree with MANY of his assertions yet he insisted on putting a "non-fiction" label on this work of science fiction.

Even more disconcerting still is the fact that American school children have been forced to watch this garbage by their "left wing network news watching teachers" which we pay to educate our children...not indoctrinate them with the lies they have been gullible enough to believe!

The simple fact is we just don't know! Does this mean we should not try to preserve our environment for future generations....of course not. Does it mean we should believe this unsubstantiated propaganda...not unless you wish to be counted amongst the masses...the dumb masses.

#27 ·
IF it were mans fault for global warming and not just the earths natural rhythms, who is acctually going to degrade their life and rid themselves of all the conveniences we have just to help the environment. i personally dont care about the environment if my life is that limited. i think we should stop burning fossil fuels just cause the wells are going to eventually dry up and also if we use other resources people can stop saying that the war is only cause of oil even though it clearly isnt. but here is another thing to think about, if global "warming" is supposed to somehow make the earth go into another ice age, where is the bad part?

#31 ·
Sharp,
These things are "convenient" because they pass along costs into areas where they aren't as readily quantifiable. Your conveniences come at a cost, at some point we need to ask if those conveniences are really worth the cost. God forbid that someone might not be able to drive a hummer to the grocery store, or commute to work in his Excursion, have to insulate his or her home, turn the thermostat down, use fluorescent light bulbs. Anyway, transportation is only part of the issue, coal use in energy production is a much scarier prospect (use is increasing much faster than oil). Are these things really so important that you missing out on any of them would cause you to loose all regard for the environment? Look at the big picture. No one is asking you to live in a cave, wear Birkenstocks and eat organically grown lentils.

Also, no one said global warming would create another ice age (it could alter the Atlantic currents and create a cooling effect in northern Europe).

#32 ·
hey, any cooling is fine with me. i dont mean that we shouldnt try to do better for the environment, but its not like what we are doing is killing everything. but we arent going to keep the world from warming, history shows that these patterns happen. honestly, if we want to help the enviroment, we will have to use the resources at hand in order to discover new resources. all the democrats are doing is trying to scare people and act like they have answers so that people vote for them. none of them have answers that real people cant come to on their own. if you want to do something good for the enviroment, plant a tree around your house, go volunteer with pheasants forever, find a fish program that enhances migration of salmonids. theres no need to worry about global warming though.

#41 ·
#5. Ain't gonna fricken matter in my lifetime so what does it really , uh, matter. And that's on both sides of the hysteria. Shut up is what I say and fish. By the fricken way, this is a FISHING board, not a environ-terrorist-whackjob board. Ok, maybe a whackjob board since Chris lets me stay around. But jeeez

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.