Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Backpacking gear

8K views 66 replies 43 participants last post by  Paul Norton 
#1 ·
This last year was tough because of some health issues, so this year I'm trying to fix that with a better diet, suppliments and exercise. I thought that if I can incorporate fishing with my exercise, I might actually do it :), so I thought some high country fishing trips were in order. Getting outfitted has been quite a task. I'm lucky to work with some knowledgeable people and the internet is a pretty good resource, but throwing some feelers for gear info on here would help.

I'm looking to get some good gear, but I'm not looking for the absolute best stuff. We're talking uintas/boulder mtns etc, in the late spring, summer, early fall out for 2-3 days at a time. I'm on a bit of a budget, so I'm really looking for mid range price, but fairly decent quality stuff.

For any of you with experience with this gear please chime in. Pros and cons etc. or any units you really like.

These are some products I'm looking at

Garmin etrex series gps systems.

Katadyn water purifiers.

Thermarest pads.

kelty sleeping bags.

Kelty tents.

Merrell boots.

Any sock recomendations (this has been the toughest to get a consistant recomendation on)

So far this is the gear I have bought

Backpack- kelty tornado 4900
stove- MSR pocket rocket

See less See more
#2 ·
get a water bladder for sure! i like the NTG ones that joes sells, works as a day pack too. or the platypus bladders, both are great.
thermarest pads are good. get the long one, that will fit your whole body. i made the mistake of buying a short one. feet and legs get cold.
for socks, anything wool, or the hiking socks. wear the wool against your skin, and a layer of cotton over the wool ones. that way the socks will rub on each other, and you will not get blisters.
the pocket rocket will be good for boiling water, but be very careful when cooking food. they burn really really hot, so it burns food very easy. cook it on low, and keep the food moving.
the katadyn filters are good. i prefer the filter type, and not the chemical ones, water tastes better, and the chemicals are not very good for you.

#3 ·
I agree with the socks. Miltary style cushoin soled wool socks, I would differ in having the outer sock be a nylon dress sock, it slides better than cotton across the wool.

Make sure you a have good insoles in your boots. Life is miserable on long hikes if you don't think of your feet first.

The thermarest will probably work well for you, but I prefer the military style isoform mats, you can't pucture them, and they are verry light. If only one leaves you uncomforatable carry two.

Finally, if you are getting out in cold weather, get some polypropolene underwear. They stay warm no matter how wet they are, and they breath.

#5 ·
Lucky-
Just my opinion on a few items. I prefer MSR water filter products, don't know if they're any better or worse than your choice but it's what I've been using without any problems for quite a while.

For sock choices, I wear a polypro liner against my feet then a Merlino wool sock on top of the liner. I change the liner when it gets wet with sweat to keep my feet dry and happy. The liners are easy to wash if you're on an extended trip.

Buy a couple of "Platypus" (sp?) collapsing water containers to haul cooking and drinking water in. They weigh almost nothing and roll up pretty small taking up very little space in your pack. You won't have to pump water so often. I usually keep 3-5 liters of water in camp when I'm on a multi-day trip.

Use flashlites and headlamps of LED design, you won't need to haul extra battries.

Take a little duct tape (small partial roll) and aluminum foil. They can fix a multitude of boo boos. Don't forget a well stocked first aid kit, you can build one yourself that's more useful than what you can buy.

I could go on but won't, it's better to leave room for others to comment and share.

Scott

#7 ·
I do a lot of backpacking/flyfishing trips, and have found that the lighter my camping gear, the more fishing gear I can bring.

I use a Bota water bottle filter. They are cheap, lightweight, and do the job. $20
http://www.survivalequipment.net/botaoutback.html

As for tent/shelter I love my Hennessy hammock. It is an all in one shelter and at under 2 lbs, you can't beat it. $189

http://www.rei.com/product/684942

As for a thermarest, go for the prolite 4. I use a regular and have no problems. Keep in mind, if you decide to buy the hammock, bring a thermarest to insulate you from below. Your body weight in your bag eliminates the loft below you and reduces the effectiveness of the insulation.

http://www.rei.com/product/708471?vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC

As for a bag, go down, 700 fill minimum. The space and weight savings is HUGE.

#10 ·
This last year was tough because of some health issues, so this year I'm trying to fix that with a better diet, suppliments and exercise. I thought that if I can incorporate fishing with my exercise, I might actually do it :), so I thought some high country fishing trips were in order. Getting outfitted has been quite a task. I'm lucky to work with some knowledgeable people and the internet is a pretty good resource, but throwing some feelers for gear info on here would help.

I'm looking to get some good gear, but I'm not looking for the absolute best stuff. We're talking uintas/boulder mtns etc, in the late spring, summer, early fall out for 2-3 days at a time. I'm on a bit of a budget, so I'm really looking for mid range price, but fairly decent quality stuff.

For any of you with experience with this gear please chime in. Pros and cons etc. or any units you really like.

These are some products I'm looking at

Garmin etrex series gps systems.

Katadyn water purifiers.

Thermarest pads.

kelty sleeping bags.

Kelty tents.

Merrell boots.

Any sock recomendations (this has been the toughest to get a consistant recomendation on)

So far this is the gear I have bought

Backpack- kelty tornado 4900
stove- MSR pocket rocket
We're talking uintas/boulder mtns etc, in the late spring, summer, early fall out for 2-3 days at a time.

Well, that's not quite Northwest, but it still is great country. There is a chance I might see you there this summer. So many places, so little time.

The stove is great.

Forget the GPS.

Buy a Silva Ranger Compass and the book "Be Expert with Map and Compass". Learn to use the compass. You don't need a GPS in the mountains. It is handy in urban areas, along roads, and in flat country.
It is just extra weight in the mountains. Learn to read topo maps and you will never be lost (as long as you have the map with you).

#11 ·
First off,remember to bring the 10+ Essentialsfor backpacking. Compass,Map,Extra Food,Extra Clothing,Firestarter,Waterproof/Windproof Matches,Sunglasses,Sunscreen,Bug Repellant,Knife/Leatherman,First Aid Kit,Whistle,Signaling Device,Water Bottle& Filter and LED Flashlight.
As for what you are looking at.
Tent-get a freestanding 3 -4 season tent with aluminum poles(not fiberglass) that comes with a Full Coverage rainfly.This will keep almost all rain out and some models will allow you to set up just the rainfly only for an ultralight shelter.Kelty tents are not bad for the price.Also look at the dimensions of the tent.Depending on your size of body ,a 2 man tent may only be big enough for 1 ,you do not want a tent not long or wide enough so nothing you have in the tent touches the sides of the tent(they will get wet from dew,rain,humidity...)
Etrex GPS are good for the price but get a compass & map and learn how to use them,batteries & satellites do not work 100% of the time
Thermarest pads are great for uneven rocky terrain but get a repair kit because if they go flat they do not cushion you,closed cell foam pads work well,just not as comfortable.
Water purifiers,only have used a First Need Water Purifier for the 20+ years,they have always been rated high by experts.Katadyn I understand are very good also.You just want to compare what each model does get rid of and to how microscopic it filters.Giardia sucks
Sleeping bags go for synthetic, down is best for below freezing conditions,for what you are using it for and time of year a 30 degree bag will do you fine since it is really rated for 40. Nothing wrong with Kelty bags, just look for a synthetic that retains its loft and is lightweight for its size.Make sure you try it before you buy it so it is long & wide enough to be comfortable in.
Boots-Merrel? do not really know,just know I like them with a Vibram sole,stitched sole not glued,full one piece leather and Gore-Tex liner is also nice but not needed if you always keep your leather treated.
Socks- I like the Smartwool with a polypro liner sock underneath.Always bring an extra set so you always have a dry set
If you like to take along special beverages,get an aluminum fuel bottle to store it in ,they work very well keeping it protected and its lightweight just make sure its marked so you do not drink the wrong fuel.
moleskin & secondskin for in case you get a blister
Polypro underwear as mentioned before is a very good lightweight insulating layer that when worn under rain wear will keep you warm in case you encounter adverse weather.
Hope this helps you , Mike.

#12 ·
I think you can get away without a water purifier here in the Cascades, but I am ignorant of the water quality in the areas you're planning on heading to. For years I used a PUR Hiker water filter (now owned by Katadyn) and got along just fine. The year before last I purchased a Katadyn Guide (http://www.trailspace.com/gear/katadyn/guide/) and I've been really happy with it. It pumps water much faster than the Hiker model. A little on the heavy side, though.

I can't comment on the Kelty tents and bags, since I've never owned any (except for an ancient external pack).

I've heard Merrell boots are good. I wear Asolo's because I have wide feet.

Insoles: Very important to me. I use Superfeet in my hiking boots. They made a huge difference in how tired my feet became.

T-Rest: I've had a 3/4 length ultralight for several years now and it's fine. I have no problems with the length because I pad the ground or tent floor with extra clothes, etc. A full length version is more comfortable, but the 3/4 length is lighter and and rolls into a smaller size. Last year I bought an inflatable mattress with insulation (Insul Mat) and it is better on my back, but the t-rest will work fine. They don't make the model I have any longer. I think another person mentioned the Prolite model, which I believe is the updated version of my older t-rest. If you fish high lakes from a small inflatable raft you can use the t-rest as emergency flotation and/or butt-insulation from the cold water. It also provides something of a back rest for you.

Socks: I started using the Smartwool a few years ago and love them.

GPS: I have a low-end Magellan Explorist which does the job in open country, but I lose signal in the Cascades. I've researched GPS's to death over the last couple of years and if I ever pop for a new one it will be Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. Many of my hiking buddies use this GPS and it's the only one I know of that won't lose signal in the Cascades.
It's expensive, though, which is why I've held off on the purchase. I agree with another respondee about learning map & compass.

Here's a couple of links that may be of interest to you: http://hilakers.org/
http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/index.php?sid=ec35420debf522dee057972fcb8884df

Good luck with your new passion!

Cliff

#13 ·
I own a ton of gear and have packed quite a bit so here's my 2 cents....

PUR/Katadyn filters good.
Don't buy a Kelty bag...have owned them and they held up worst of
all I have owned. (buy Marmot or Mtn. Hardwear or TNF)
La Sportiva boots all the way.
Costco has good socks (similar to smartwools) and they are 4 for ten bucks! They don't last quite as lonng but considering you get four pair instead of one it's worth it.
If you can return the stove for an MSR Whisperlite or Dragonfly do it...you'll save a ton of money on fuel in the long run. They will burn car gas, alcohol, white gas, butane , propane, etc. and you can carry just the amount you need instead of a full carttridge. (Also if you ever fly with your gear you can't take cartridges) I first started with the cartridge stoves and soon had a dozen or so half used ones laying around because you never want to gamble that the amount in it is enough so you buy a new one each time as opposed to carrying two or three old ones.
Thermarests are a must have...if you can find a deal on the guidelite series they are great. I have found the long version to be much more comfy and worth the extra few ounces in weight but I am 6'3".
GPS isn't necessary unless you plan to bushwack so use the cash on quality boots.
Definitely get a pair of treking poles! They have saved me more than once and help a TON !
If you plan hike in wet country buy gaiters...they will save your socks and feet from getting wet as well as grass burrs etc.
A good led headlamp and a candle lantern are good ideas too.
A hydration bladder is a must too.
Don't waste money on the freeze dried meals. They are expensive and don't taste as good as what you can find in the grocery store. PM me if you need ideas on food.

One thin piece of surgical tubing with a tiny copper tube inserted into the end (about 8 inches sticking out) for fire starting if you plan to hike in cold weather or where you can light small fires. Trust me, you'll thank me later. Just blow in it and you 'll see the magic. (learned from an old man on the Appalachian Trail)

Sierra Designs tents (one of the convertible type which are three or four season tents)

Quick dry clothing (no cotton)

Thats all I can think of for now...hope it helps.

#14 ·
Read, read, read, read, read and then read some more. And not just the internet; you need to read several entire books on the subject. Seems you're on the right track with that already. Internet's great and all, but talk to knowledgable people all you can. And you'll get lots of opinions, all of which won't agree - as evidenced already by responses to your post. As for opinions, here goes:
1. Budget is fine, and we all have to budget unless we're made of money. But, good gear that does its job without fail is not cheap. So go cheap only where it makes sense, and upgrade it later if you need to. Example: Buy the $5 plastic spork instead of the $30 titanium one, but don't buy a tent for $50 less if the more expensive one really is better/lighter.
2. Since you're starting from scratch, you're in a good position to do it right the first time. MANY hikers buy gear and then replace it with something else later because they didn't think of the whole as a system. Lack of experience makes this harder, but that's combatted with all the reading and talking. Everything in your pack, and the pack itself and everything you wear is a system. It all works together. I know it's hard to see how your shirt works with your tent or headlamp, but it does. Every single item you carry has to be carefully scrutinized. Details are important! I'm a little worried about this because you've already bought some gear without working out the rest of it.
3. Light is right. If you haven't already, search for "ultralight backpacking" and you may discover some amazing things. All else being equal, a lighter piece of gear wins every time. It might mean having to learn to do something a different way to utilize lighter gear, but if you can it's worth it. There's a lot of good reasons to go ultralight, and the reasons against it are usually resistance to change and perception you're not prepared enough. You can do multi-day trips with a fifteen to twenty pound pack- comfortably. This becomes especially important when you're looking at adding a few pounds of fishing gear to the load. Thankfully, flyfishing gear is already very lightweight. Even so, look at it as critically as all the rest of your gear.
4. Have fun! Personally I'm a gear junkie and can have way too much fun buying new stuff. Using it AND liking it on the trail is even better.

#16 ·
Lucky,

Boots - buy what fits your foot the best and has the properties you are looking for (i.e. goretex, leather, vibram). Go to a place where they know how to fit your foot. Wear them around the store. Test Test Test. Do not rely solely on, it feels good. Ask the pros advice, that is what they are their for. They should be able to tell you how it should feel like. Even better if you can walk up and down a slope during the test. I know many folks are anti REI, but the downtown store will be a good place for information. (some of the outlying ones are a little more yuppie focused). Make fit your guide, not price. Spend more here for quality boots if they fit you better. After you buy them, wear them. To the grocery store, to the mailbox, to the fly shop. Breaking in boots is less about the boot and more about conditioning your feet. Do a good job here, and your trails will be blister free. Used is not a good idea.

Backpack -
Fit Fit Fit. Again, find a professional who will fit the pack to your frame, fill it with weight and let you wear it around for 45 minutes to an hour. Within reason, make fit your guide and price a secondary concern. Used is not a good idea unless you can get a pro fit.

Sleeping bag - Sounds like for your use you want a synthetic bag. The main differences in price will be durability and weight. You can buy a cheaper bag and the trade off will be it's a little heavier and you'll have to replace it sooner. You can go budget here. Used is a little odd here, but with a properly cared and washed bag, it's okay.

Thermarest -
an absolute must. They come in a number of styles, you'll pay more for light weight and coverage. Used would be okay.

Stove - You can save dough here if you buy used. A whisperlite was considered a standard for its field serviceability. I have two that are over 15 years old and still performing wonderfully. I also own the jetboil system which is really great for boiling water but not much else. MSR is the leader here, but some others are catching up. Make sure you can fire it up at home easily, because it's always more difficult in the woods with wind and rain. The pocket rocket is a hot stove and you won't be able to cook anything that requires a simmer. If you can take it back, I'd put the money towards something else and buy a used stove.

Tent - I agree that a freestanding tent is generally easier. It's tough enough to find a flat spot without worrying about tying into trees, rocks and getting solid stakes. Kelty, TNF, Mountain Hardware, REI, Marmot and Sierra Designs are all good companies with good tents. Look for sealed seems and features that fit your intentions. Buy the lightest you can afford. Used tents can be a bargain. Set it up a few times before you go out.

Headlamp - I have Petzls, but there are a number out there that are meant for the woods. Buy one sturdy enough that it won't break in your pack.

Water filter - buy new. There are plenty on the market that will fit your needs. Some require more elbow grease. Determine how much water you will need and that will dictate the filter.

Some things I generally take are:

 Headlamp
 Batteries
 Knife
 Compass
 Map
 First Aid Kit
 Water filter
 TP
 Chapstick & Sunscreen
 Sunglasses (with strap)
 Insect Repellent
 Camera & Film
 Handiwipes
 Watch
 Towel
 GPS

Best of luck.

/s/ a gear hound

#18 ·
Thanks for all of the comments so far guys.
It looks like boots are a THE big deal, and here's to boots I'm looking at. They are light and have the vibram sole with good support. Do they look like they are worth the purchase?

http://www.merrell.com/Shop/Product....G-HIK&SID=9021

Also, do any of you guys wear a thin under sock? When I was in the army, we would wear nylon/panyhose socks under our issue socks to keep from getting blisters. I've seen some newer age technology in undersocks and was wondering if they are worth it.

As far as packs, I already bought one. I got this 50% off at sportsman's warehouse because it was discontinued. It was what started me up, but it sounds like I may have made a mistake in getting it first.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39199326

#21 ·
It looks like boots are a THE big deal, and here's to boots I'm looking at. They are light and have the vibram sole with good support. Do they look like they are worth the purchase?

http://www.merrell.com/Shop/Product....G-HIK&SID=9021

Also, do any of you guys wear a thin under sock? When I was in the army, we would wear nylon/panyhose socks under our issue socks to keep from getting blisters. I've seen some newer age technology in undersocks and was wondering if they are worth it.
You're getting some good advice here so I won't reiterate most of what's already been said.

But it's worth restating that a good pair of boots is indeed your most fundamental purchase, and the one you're most likely to regret making if you get it wrong.

I wasn't able to open the link to the Merrell boots you selected. But from experience, most Merrells tend to be a crossover design that combines real boots with running shoes, hence all the pointless panels, decorative stripes and colorful stitching along the sides. Take this to the bank: the greater the number of stitches in a boot's upper, the greater the chance of water getting in and your trip being ruined by wet feet.

There are many options for good quality boots, but my strong suggestion would be to look for an all-leather, one-piece upper. A one-piece upper mean minimal stitching, and thus minimal opportunities for water penetration. Look hard at one-piece upper models from Vasque, Asolo, Merrell (the Wilderness or Perimeter GTX), REI and others. Steer clear of anything that even remotely looks like a running shoe.

Just because a boot says it has Gore-Tex doesn't mean you can use it like waders. Gore-Tex or not, all boots will leak to some degree. A boot with a one-piece upper will almost always keep your feet drier than some sporty looking model with fancy stripes and stitching and Gore-Tex.

Take along the socks you plan on wearing (and any orthotics you may need to wear) and try on every boot in the store that meets the criteria above. Go to several stores on different days and shop hard before you pull the trigger. To the extent your budget will allow, ignore price. Good boots will cost money so plan on spending $150 to $250.

I was in the boot market a couple falls back and must have tried on 30 different models over several weeks before settling on Vasque Wasatch GTXs. At $190 or so out the door, they weren't the cheapest ones I tried. But like Cliff, I've got wide feet and they were one of the few models that come in widths, making my toes sing with joy. Many miles later, they're easily the most comfortable shoes I own, period.

If your feet aren't happy, your trip won't be happy either.

K

#20 ·
Merrel makes some good boots. Katadyn filters are really nice as well. I disagree with some folks though,I take the chemical water purifier tablets and some sport drink powder to mask the taste. Saves a lot of weight. Also rectangle bags are more comfy but a good mummy bag will save a lot of weight as well. Don't skimp on the tent though,whatever design you go with! As for socks I like smart wool or thorlo . Thorlo are a bit nicer but more expensive. #1 tip is use your boots as much as you can before you hike or you will hate life. Last time I didn't I walked the last 2 miles barefoot :p Also the collapse able water bottles are nice to have as well.Good luck ! The Mt. lakes are well worth the effort!

#24 ·
Take Kent's advice on boots to the bank. Any boot properly fitted with Vasque soles and at least a 1/2 or 3/4 shank will make long weekend hikes easy on your feet when carrying a heavy pack.

When your health is up to it, look up the local Mountaineers Club or their counterpart in your area for their courses. You will learn from professionals about orienteering, and all the latest in food, clothing and hiking, climbing, avalanche, and emergency skills to enjoy yourself with confidence, proficiency, and safety for anyone in your party. You will look back on the course as one of the wisest investments of your time, and the knowledge gained as your single most important piece of outdoor equipment.

Of course if you’re up for a unique experience, you might want to try fly fishing while hanging from a climbing harness 10 feet above the water after rappelling down a vertical cliff wall in order to get to the otherwise inaccessible fish in the deep part of a high mountain circ lake. :cool:

#25 ·
Someone mentioned duct tape (partial role). Definately do this. Make sure it is the good quality stuff that sticks to just about anything.

When you hike, at each break, inspect your feet. Look for signs of blisters forming. If you catch them early enough, you'll be one happy camper. Just dry your foot of any water\sweat, and apply a small patch of that duct tape. Put your socks and boots back on and go. Check at the next stop for others and ensure the tape is still in place.

I did a trip with a group of friends and I did this at each stop - catching those spots that are rubbing just a little and starting to get sore and duct taping them. I never did get a full blister. My buddies were all dying by the end of the trip from their nasty blisters...

I've gotten by fine for years without a GPS and purifier. Save that money for a decent ultra light tent (or bivy), pack, boots, a nice compact stove, and a light packable sleeping bag.

Try to stay away from packing heavy cotton clothes like jeans and shirts. Go with light fleece that is warm and some packable nylon shells that are light, durable, and dry quickly.

Consider bringing along 'camp shoes' or something to wear that are light to pack, but you can walk around camp, maybe even do short day trips, while your heavy boots are being dried out from that stream you had to ford. Or, take Teva type sandles, put them on when you ford that stream, and use them around camp, and save your dry boots for the trip in and out...

I have a book on Mountaineering put out by the Moutaineers (who'd of thoguht?) that is simply awesome. It covers things from summer vs winter clothing, packs and other rear, orienteering with map and compass, survivial, first aid, to technical climbing....

#27 ·
... I have a book on Mountaineering put out by the Moutaineers (who'd of thoguht?) that is simply awesome. ...
The Mountaineer's Bible:
Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills by The Mountaineers (Author), Steven M. Cox (Editor), Kris Fulsaas (Editor)

#26 ·
Sock: Smartwools are great. Sturdy and comfortable. I have worn mine a ton, and the stank washed right out. As with any socks though, while out on the trail, wash them every few days. The salt from your sweat can build up and scratch the hell out of your feet.

Stoves: As others have said, the pocket rocket burns food. It takes some skill and patience to properly cook a meal with one. I would take it back if I were you. if you plan on getting an MSR, spring for the whisperlite international. It will burn just about any fuel. If your in the market for a something else, try the stoves that fit the camping gaz: less mess than white gas, boils water in 2 seconds flat, and temp. control. Less weight too.

Water: I mostly use purifiers, but if you want to go the chemical route, use Aqua Mira. No taste or smell. Follow the directions and in 30 minutes you got drinkable water. Unlike iodine, Aqua Mira kills both crypto and giardia.

Clothes: DONT use capilene. The stuff takes stink and holds it. I can wash mine and it smells like a fresh mountain meadow, but as soon as I put it on it reaks. Maybe its just me, but everyone I know who has used it says the same thing. Oh and Pattigucci underwear is the shit.
Several non cotton layers and a good lightweight rain coat and rain pants work great.

Feet:Bring camp shoes so you don't have to walk in your boots around camp. Chacos or other sandals work great
Personally, I think moleskin sucks on its own. Get some Moleskin foam and duct tape for the big blisters. The moleskin turned upside down with the fuzzy side on the blister is good for small blisters. Just slap some duct tape over the top to hold it on.

Food: some people like freeze dried some like fresh. I bring some of both. Freeze dried is light weight and can taste pretty good if you know what your doing. Buy a NOLS cookery and study it. You can make all sorts of things with that book on hand.
Bring spices- pepper, salt, garlic, curry, tobasco. Whatever ya fancy. They can save a nasty meal
Bring oil- A little bottle will do and you can cook trout or whatever.
Fresh cheese, cracker, salami, fruit, onions, etc are all good.
Bring a nice slab of bacon for that first night out.

Like others said, learn how to read a topo and compass. More fun and less likely to fail.

Just a few add-ons

#28 ·
. . . if you plan on getting an MSR, spring for the whisperlite international. It will burn just about any fuel . . .

. . . DONT use capilene. The stuff takes stink and holds it. I can wash mine and it smells like a fresh mountain meadow, but as soon as I put it on it reaks . . .

. . . Bring camp shoes so you don't have to walk in your boots around camp. Chacos or other sandals work great
Person . . .
Good points all.

MSR stoves are about the best available. but the Whiperlite has one key problem: it's flame is either completely off or completely on with no setting in between. While that's great for boiling water, sauteeing or frying with one is an invitation to dishwashing hell. The MSR Dragonfly has a fully adjustable flame and will throttle down to a level that will make any camp cook's heart throb with glee.

Just about every brand of MTS underwear (moisture transport system) ends up stinking. That's because most are made from polyester which reacts unfavorably with the wearer's chemistry and results in the most incredible skunk smell imaginable. New experimental materials are just coming on to the market with embedded charcoal or other odor-absorbing additives. It's still too early to tell if they're effective or not, but the additional cost starts to make Smartwool's base layer shirt look better and better at $80. But given the laundry care wool requires, I'm afraid I'd shrink it down to doll size in no time.

Finally, camp shoes are the ultimate in luxurious foot care. Try Crocs slip-on clogs, which combine light weight, durability and low cost.

K

#30 ·
I've been trying to reduce weight and bulk in my pack for a few years. First I replaced my bulletproof TNF 7# backpack with a Golite at 2#. I'm happy with a 2.5# synthetic bag and prolite thermarest. I'm OK with leaving my 4 or 5# tents home in favor of the 12 oz tarp, plus a few stakes, but the GF prefers the "security" of the tent.

I don't fix fancy meals, so the pocket rocket can't be beat for being simple and handy. Every friend but one has had the frustrating experience of their MSR Whisperlite going gunnysack and not being able to make it work when it counts. I still like my ancient Svea 123 for white gas use, but it doesn't simmer either. I know a couple guys who keep it simple and light using a pop can alcohol stove, and I bought a titanium one (2 oz) just to play with, but I haven't got the guts to depend on it yet.

I agree that nothing beats the comfort of camp shoes, but they're extra weight and bulk. I've got a real light pair of flip flops that I think might be an OK compromise.

The next step is a 3" diameter titanium fly reel spooled with shooting line, and I'll just carry a floating and two sinking shooting heads. Meanwhile the Berkley graphite/plastic fly reel is the lightest reel I've found. 2 small fly boxes, one dry, one for wets, a couple spools of tippet, and nippers. I made an 8' 4 piece 5 wt rod with cork and sliding band reel seat, and finally found a light but reasonably strong plastic tube to carry it in. That and the 2# Curtis raft completes my high lake fishing gear. Oh, of course the thermarest does double duty as raft seat cushion and PFD.

Once steelhead season is over I'll be looking forward to some alpine lakes. I was injured last summer and didn't get to do any serious hiking, so I know the feeling.

Sg

#31 ·
This is a good thread.

If your hiking with a partner your lucky cause you don't need two of everything, you can usually share the tent, water purifier, stove. etc..
Find out what your partner has and if it works well enough concentrate on what your gonna need.
If your looking to save money you can try Sierratradingpost.com and reioutlet.com and ebay and the list (craigslist.org).
There are certain trusted brands that make good products and if when you find these at the right price they can be a good buy. I've found it much better to have one higher priced piece of gear than two or three cheaper items. Usually the higher priced pieces of gear will last longer and you don't need to haul around as much. But if you don't have the latest greatest stuff you can still get by with what you got.
Go with the full lenght Thermarest.
Get a good sleeping bag
If your camping by a lake or river you can always boil your water if you don't have a purifier or filter.

One last thing that I don't think has been mentioned. I have a synthetic bag that doesn't shrink down as much as I'd like so I got a compression sack that goes around the bag and squeezes that thing down to the size of a large grapefruit/small watermelon. This saves a lot of room in my pack.

There are millions of pieces of gear you can buy and research. Take what you got and get out there and pretty soon you'll know what you like, need, want and must have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.