Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Backpacking gear

8K views 66 replies 43 participants last post by  Paul Norton 
#1 ·
This last year was tough because of some health issues, so this year I'm trying to fix that with a better diet, suppliments and exercise. I thought that if I can incorporate fishing with my exercise, I might actually do it :), so I thought some high country fishing trips were in order. Getting outfitted has been quite a task. I'm lucky to work with some knowledgeable people and the internet is a pretty good resource, but throwing some feelers for gear info on here would help.

I'm looking to get some good gear, but I'm not looking for the absolute best stuff. We're talking uintas/boulder mtns etc, in the late spring, summer, early fall out for 2-3 days at a time. I'm on a bit of a budget, so I'm really looking for mid range price, but fairly decent quality stuff.

For any of you with experience with this gear please chime in. Pros and cons etc. or any units you really like.

These are some products I'm looking at

Garmin etrex series gps systems.

Katadyn water purifiers.

Thermarest pads.

kelty sleeping bags.

Kelty tents.

Merrell boots.

Any sock recomendations (this has been the toughest to get a consistant recomendation on)

So far this is the gear I have bought

Backpack- kelty tornado 4900
stove- MSR pocket rocket

See less See more
#60 ·
Allison's list is off the charts. I don't have all of the exact items, but have many similar ones and enjoy every last one of them. I'm not an ultralight dweeb that cuts the labels, logos and tags out of everything. I don't buy the things with all the holes drilled in them. I don't always use the ultralight alloys. I have on occasion even carried an 8# air mattress in my pack so me and the misses can awake well rested. Normally a camping pad or even cheaper, thermo bubble wrap from a hardware store (like they use to insulate garage doors and such) works like a charm. And I'm still cooking with a ten to fifteen year old campingaz cook head that snaps onto the blue gas mix canisters. Not super light, but super reliable. As for packs, nothing super high end except my black diamonds with built in avalungs for winter recreation, but all effective and a pack in every size from a day trip in the summer to full length trips in the middle of the snow cycle.

#61 ·
mumbles if u are a tele skier i am gonna shit my pants.... please... tell me your not a tele skier..:beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead:

and if you ever feel like upgrading your cookware i highly recomend a whisperlite international and a GSI soloist. its all ya need. Like you im not a ultralight guy (i dont mind the wieght, plus i always carry photogrpahy gear) but I do like to have compact/easy to use items. Saving pack space is more an issue for me then saving ounces. That way i can carry extra "fun" stuff with me. like a sketch pad, camera gear, climbing gear, etc. I need a bigger pack maybe, im currently using a gregory but its kinda small.

we need to do a WFF meet/backpack i think this summer. Im gonna organize it! Post suggestions on locations.

#62 ·
Although I admire tele skiers, I am a SPLITBOARDER. As much as I respect the free heel fans the skinning into remote locations appeals tremendously. Riding two planks out terrifies me. One board spit on the way up and in rocks. One board united floating effortlessly on the good stuff gets the rocks off. Besides, all the tele skiers I know are super fit that they would not associate with the likes of me...too many cheeseburgers.

#65 ·
ok well i have successfully shit myself even more. splitboards are dope. im a big time snowboarder and i tele ski sometimes because its just a nice way to travel (skiing vs snowshoe) but its not nearly as fun as boarding down. I hope to get a split board someday, but the nice models seem to run around a grand + and my new burton was already more then i could handle at 350 on discounts.:beathead: mumbles man splitboarded rad....

#66 ·
Dustin, get a voile split kit and buzz one of your own in half. You can do that on limited finances. That is how I got my first splitter. Since then I've added a few more to the quiver. One is never enough.

Allison, no claim to backcountry skiiing prowess, so go on with your Randonee! All I'm looking for is a safe skin ascent, ten minutes to sit on my ass in the snow at the top and knee to neck deep fresh on the way down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.