Swap Simple but effective fly swap

Kent Lufkin

Remember when you could remember everything?
Is there a fudge factor?
What's it worth to you? :cool:

Seriously, we all can and do tie 4- and 5-ingredient flies all day long. The challenge in this swap was summarized nicely in Richard Olmstead's original thread in which he questioned whether or not more complicated flies result in greater fishing success. I was surprised by how many respondents beside myself agreed that more complicated patterns aren't always more productive.

Let's stick with the original challenge and see what everyone has found works but take three or fewer materials to tie.

K

What's it worth to you? :cool:

Seriously, we all can and do tie 4- and 5-ingredient flies all day long. The challenge in this swap was summarized nicely in Richard Olmstead's original thread in which he questioned whether or not more complicated flies result in greater fishing success. I was surprised by how many respondents beside myself agreed that more complicated patterns aren't always more productive.

Let's stick with the original challenge and see what everyone has found works but take three or fewer materials to tie.

K
I can do it, I can do it. ;)

Daryle

Kent Lufkin

Thanks all. I got Sean Engman's sweet bunny leeches in Saturday's mail. I'll post a detailed update when I receive the next round of flies.

K

Kent Lufkin

Kevin Rudzinski's elegant mallard soft hackles arrived today. Mine will be done this weekend. How are the rest of you coming along?

Kent Lufkin - brown soft hackle TYING THIS WEEKEND
Sean Engman - Olive bunny leech RECEIVED
Daryle Holstrom - Cham-mo the killer leech
Ron Eagle Elk - POP
John Hicks - Caddis pupa
Warren Perry - Otter creek candy cane RECEIVED
Steve S - Quill body dun
Richard Olmstead - CDC emerger ON THE WAY
Kevin Rudzinski - mallard soft hackle RECEIVED
Marc Chapman - X-caddis ON THE WAY
Mozart - para BWO
Steeli - Carey special variation​

How are the rest of you coming along?

K

How are the rest of you coming along?

K
Kent,

Only have a few more to go which should be completed today. I have my people from India tying them (I kid). I'll do the same as last time with the padded envelope, Morell box, and postage. I still haven't taken the flies out from the last swap. Almost a shame to put those in my regular boxes for fishing since they're all so nicely done.

Kent,

I blew it. After tying the POP flies, I counted the materials and there are 4. That will never do so I'll be sending you some Baillie's Black Spiders (circa mid 1800s). Three materials including hook and thread. I'll toss in the POPs as a bonus for everyone.

They go out in the AM.

REE

Kent,

I blew it. After tying the POP flies, I counted the materials and there are 4. That will never do so I'll be sending you some Baillie's Black Spiders (circa mid 1800s). Three materials including hook and thread. I'll toss in the POPs as a bonus for everyone.

They go out in the AM.

REE
Bonus, you make an small counting error and we get an extra fly. I love you REE

Warren

PS Ron. My promotion should come on April fool's day, appropriate, don't you think. Hope the world is treating you well

Latest posts