Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Backpack Fishing Trips

12K views 54 replies 26 participants last post by  tobyray80 
#1 ·
So as I spend this week getting ready for finals, and look ahead towards my spring break, which I'll be spending tying flies and enjoying Microbrews. It got me thinking about this summer and my desire to get up to the alpine lakes and get some fishing/backpacking in. So my question to you (without giving away your secrets, which I understand) is what advice do you have for someone when fishing alpine lakes? Anything in particular about fly selection or best time of day to fish?

Thanks in advance, can't wait to hear the stories.
:beer2:

#4 ·
I always like to fish right after ice out in mid June most years around some lakes in Snoqualmie/Stevens Pass area. The fish are hungry after a long cold winter. For flies, usually general attractor patterns will do. Hare's Ears, Pheasant Tails, EH caddis,' and my favorite the Parachute Adams.

#5 ·
I second chadk's suggestion once again. It is a great book. Anyways, fish-hiking is one of my areas of intense study. I've found a few patterns that work great. I mostly fish high in the upper reaches of the Olympic rivers, home to resident Coastal Cutts and stocked brookies in some cases. One fly I'll suggest is a half-yellow half-black wooly bugger in size 10 or 12. It works.
-Ethan

#6 ·
I fished a few alpine lakes last summer. The one thing I would suggest even more than fly pattern or line type, etc is to get away from the populated areas. if there is a lake that is within 6 miles of the trailhead, make that your base from where further lakes may be explored. Same kind of idea as the rivers around here.

- Luke

#7 ·
So as I spend this week getting ready for finals, and look ahead towards my spring break, which I'll be spending tying flies and enjoying Microbrews.
My advice would be tie some flies and drink some brews before/during your finals week, and then spend your spring break fishing some hike-in lakes, dirt-camping and generally living like a hippy. You'll learn a lot from the experience.

The only way to learn, is to do.

Life is short. Don't wait for it to happen. Get on it.

#8 ·
Thanks guys for the advice. I'm definitely going to look into that book and try and tie some of the flies suggested. Parachute Adams is a bit intimidating still, just in trying to get the wings right. I can't wait though, I've been chomping at the bit. Want to try and get my first golden trout this year too. Should be a good year, if we can get rid of this darn snow enough though.

Hefeweizen for all!:beer1:

#10 ·
As far as best time of day to fish I would have to say when your there it's the best time for you to fish. It's like everybody asking about which tide is best to fish in the salt, any tide you can get on the water is the best.
As far as good fly patterns remember that the high elevation fish have a shorter growing season so are generally going to be more opportunistic feeders and generally less selective (I think anyways). That could be one reason ice off is a good time. Also late in the season when the fish are looking to fatten up.

#11 ·
Nows the time to put together:
Day pack
10 essentials
quick dry pants (zip off legs)
small chest pack w/minimal accouterments (can be worn with or without day pack)
wade wet or flyweights
tie some EHCs, Adams, PTs, Humpys, EHCs, GRHEs, small buggers, EHCs
multi-piece 4wt
lt wt hammock (4 relaxing, beats a rock)

random thoughts (J.Handy)

#12 ·
Keep in mind that nearly every lake up there with any size has fish in it, even a lot of the ones with no regular trail to it. Generally, the further away from the trailhead(s) and roads, the better. There are some really good alpine lakes (some with large, plentiful fish) and many with just dinks, but it is all fun when you are in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Get some hiking books for each section of the Cascades/Olympics (or borrow from the library). The books by Ira Spring are a great place to start.

#13 ·
All good suggestions, this is a favorite question to answer as I'm always looking forward to the High Country. In your arsenal of flies consider taking bugs with lots of good movement (life) in the water. Small skinny leeches and buggers with a little flash in the body sz 12, glass bead head flies that catch the sunlight such as bead thorax soft hackles, also don't forget your scuds with flashback. Many alpine lakes have scud populations and fishing a scud under an indicator during your lunch break can keep both hands busy. You know what happens when you put your rod under your arm to take a bite of sandwich!

#15 ·
Right on guys! I'm really excited about the melt. Plan on heading to a fly shop and picking up more supplies (ugh, never ending) and soon enough will be whipping up some beauties. I'll try and post my creations when there all said and done.

I've also looked into buying the little 2 man backpacking raft at REI and packing that up to the lakes. As I've heard that most of the lakes have very little shoreline and with the amount of snow we've had it stands to reason there will be even less. What are your opinions on this? Not needed? Bad idea?

Thanks for the advice from everyone, it's greatly appreciated.

G
#17 ·
Consider packing some extra weight in the form of a float tube. Rafts work for some people, but on a windy day (even a light breeze) it is difficult to hold a position. Having fins leaves your hands free from rowing. Also...I in no way wish to imply you would do this...I have seen too many piles of brightly colored PVC rafts stashed in the bushes and deteriorated beyond usefullness (trash) because the owner was too lazy to haul it out.

You will access much better water and in some cases a tube is about the only way to fish a lake because of so much brush and vegitation choking the shore. Plus...it is way cool floating in solitude on a high mountain lake on a sunny day...near Heaven as far as I can tell!

Hitting higher lakes (like Panhandle's suggestion, the Bob) is a good idea. You have options all over the western US. There are more accesible areas than the Bob though.
Pick a spot and go! You will have fun.

You can find some lighter tubes around 3 lbs, but look for a pair of lightweight fins. Regular fins are HEAVY. Don't forget waders and long underwear...high lake water is COLD...you don't want to count on "wet" tubing up there even in August.
Anyway...I have managed to go in to remote lakes for a few days with no more than 40-50lbs including the tube, gear, waders, fins, tent, etc, etc.

Bring a floating line, a sinking line too...dries, nymphs, buggers, and soft hackles.

#19 ·
...I have seen too many piles of brightly colored PVC rafts stashed in the bushes and deteriorated beyond usefullness (trash) because the owner was too lazy to haul it out.
On a hike last June to an alpine lake, Jason and I arrived at the lower lake to find a bright yellow Seyvlor raft about 3/4 inflated leaning against a large Hemlock trunk. A recent rain had filled the lower part of the raft with water. Nestled pretty as you please in the water was a pint bottle of Wild Turkey.

The bottle was full to the top; the paper seal was broken although still intact. Immediately suspicious, I uncorked it and gave it the sniff test. Smelled like whiskey with no weird overtones, so I took a cautious pull. Tasted like whiskey too. Ummmm!

My paranoid mind immediately started racing with scenarios of why anybody would leave a perfectly good bottle of whiskey (well, maybe NOT perfectly good) in a raft leaned against a tree.

We decided to leave it alone and on our hike out ran into a group of two twentysomething guys and a gal just a few dozen yards from the raft. After a round of greetings, I mentioned the whiskey and watched their eyes light up.

Not sure what eventually happened, but on my next trip back in September, both the raft and the whiskey were gone - probably long gone inthe case of the whiskey.

K

#20 ·
cant stress the importance of getting away from the popular hiking areas as noted above.... hiking rarely used areas will increase your catches significantly in high mountain lakes... also someone already also mentioned that when you get above a 6000ft the trees are much smaller... also I noticed that the farther north in the cascades you go the lower the treeline seems to be... as well as the eastern side obiviously has less trees than the western side.... I also cant stress the importance of going to lakes without trails... I have never been disappointed with a hike to a lake without a trail (always find willing fish)..just make sure that it is large enough to support a population of fish.

#22 ·
sounds like I really need to go and pick the brains of the park ranger I know and see if he can give me some more tips on alpine lakes.

Of course you guys know what this means... less beer more squats to get in shape for hiking to the upper lakes. Ugh, the work of being a fisherman.

#25 ·
I too reccomend getting obscure, but it's been my experience that once your at 5500 feet(for example, long gone/coney/cyclone/blum) and above (unless your in the pasayten) there's a very good chance the lake will have no fish or very bonsai like trouts.You can stop in the marblemount ranger station and read peoples comments on their hikes this can be a good way to sift information.

#26 ·
Okay now that we've cleared up how to catch the little alpine lake fish, I've got another question. Once I've gotten the nice fish, cleaned it and am ready to eat it. How do you guys like to prepare your fish?

So let's hear those recipes. Nothing to spicy though if you please.

#28 ·
Okay now that we've cleared up how to catch the little alpine lake fish, I've got another question. Once I've gotten the nice fish, cleaned it and am ready to eat it. How do you guys like to prepare your fish?

So let's hear those recipes. Nothing to spicy though if you please.
my all time favorite is the following:

If you are fishing in a place where you are allowed to have an open fire - try this:

* The smaller the brookie the better - 6 to 8 inchers you don't really have to deal with bones. Just peel the spine out from head to tail and eat what's left.
* Get a sharpened stick like you would for roasting hot dogs or mashmallows.
* Put the stick into the gutted fish mouth, through the cavity, and into the flesh at the tail end keeping close to the spine.
* Fish over the fire like you would a hot dog.

Bigger fish - you may need to build a spit. Then watch closely. As the fish starts to get done, the meat will want to start to fall away from the bone. Keep your plate close or you may end up with a nice fish in the fire...

The smokey flavor from the open fire is just awesome.

But if you want to get 'fancy', bring some lemon juice and a little salt and pepper (a stop at your local fast food joint will often provide packets of said ingredients, including disposable forks, knives, and spoons...).

The best thing about the above is that you don't really need to bring anything to cook with. On those trips, I only bring a light weight pot for boiling water and dishes of some sort for eating and drinking. No extra cookware. (and less dishes to wash)

But if you do need to use your camp stove and a fry pan - bring some real butter, lemon, and salt and pepper. No need to get any fancier than that.

#27 ·
Most of the alpine lakes I've visited had plenty of fish and few fishermen, if I'm spending the night sometimes I'll keep and cook a brace of trout. High country fishes always taste so good and help you dream good dreams so in the interest of fishin', smilin', and snoozin' in the clouds I'll share.

Take a large piece of foil with you in your gear, it's one of the ten essentials for the fisherman. In a quart size ziplock bag mix a couple of tablespoons of Ms. Dash and lemon pepper, insert your cleaned fish one at a time and shake. Place your fish on your alum foil and close them up in a foil packet, place foil packet in a cool (cooking coals) fire. Fish cooks fairly fast being a soft hydrated meat, turn the packet over after ten minutes. Cook both sides about ten minutes each or according to your fire. Remove the foil packets from the fire, open and let cool for a few minutes then enjoy.

When your meal is finished bury the skeletons, rinse the foil, fold it up and bring it home. There are other variations to this theme, let your creativity be your guide. One can make adjustments with cooking over a stove in areas where you can't have a fire. Hope this helps...man I can smell the aroma now!

#29 ·
Kingpuck,

Some lakes offer lots of casting room, but in my experience the majority don't. So floatation is a good thing to have along. If you don't mind toting a 60# pack, then your choices are many. I don't enjoy a heavy pack, so I have a Curtis raft, which sadly is no longer made. The next lightest choice appears to be the nylon raft at REI that's about 3 1/2# if I recall. There may be some lightweight float tubes, but that still requires waders and fins that add to the weight and bulk of your pack. The next best alternative to the REI raft is an Alpaca at about 6 1/2#, but they're expensive. And there are plastic Sevalors at about 6# which don't last very long.

Fishing from any of the small rafts is less comfortable that from a float tube, but it's a necessary compromise if pack weight is an issue.

About the lakes, I've had my best fishing in lakes that don't have a Green Trails official or maintained trail to them. If there is an official maintained trail and campsites, expect mediocre fishing at best.

Since the better fishing requires off-trail bushwhacking, I prefer a smaller lighter backpack for that reason as well. Keeping to that concept, all my high lake fishing gear (except the rod) fits in a small waist pack that weighs only a few onces. I can't believe that when I was younger I actually rolled up my fly fishing vest and stuck it in my backpack.

Good luck!

Sg

#30 ·
Kingpuck,

Some lakes offer lots of casting room, but in my experience the majority don't. So floatation is a good thing to have along. If you don't mind toting a 60# pack, then your choices are many. I don't enjoy a heavy pack, so I have a Curtis raft, which sadly is no longer made. The next lightest choice appears to be the nylon raft at REI that's about 3 1/2# if I recall. There may be some lightweight float tubes, but that still requires waders and fins that add to the weight and bulk of your pack. The next best alternative to the REI raft is an Alpaca at about 6 1/2#, but they're expensive. And there are plastic Sevalors at about 6# which don't last very long.

Fishing from any of the small rafts is less comfortable that from a float tube, but it's a necessary compromise if pack weight is an issue.

Sg
Another pratical compromise that is even more light weight is to bring 2 small items in your compact fishing gear pocket.... A lightweight spinning real filled with 4lb mone and a few small clear casting bubbles :thumb: If you find there is no back casting room, switch out your fly reel for your spinning reel. It takes a little getting use to, but you can fish that way just fine, cast a good distance, and present both dry and wet flies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.