Steelhead (farmed) at costco

James Mello

Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"
Hatchery and native steelhead are similar. They are loaded with oils and fat from eating food in the wild. The Farmed stuff doesn't have the same fat and oil content. The natural oils and fat keep the wild stuff firm and from drying out when you cook it. With the Farmed fish, It helps to add your own fat and oil. As mention in another thread bacon is good :) frying works as well. As far as dealing with the soft flesh, I haven't figured out how to firm that up so you end up with moist flakey meat after your done cooking. I guess it's hard to polish a terd.
I've never really noticed the fish at the market being soft. Is this a freshness thing? Are they pre-frozen/defrosted repeatedly?

I've never really noticed the fish at the market being soft. Is this a freshness thing? Are they pre-frozen/defrosted repeatedly?
The farmed stuff from costco that I have bought in the past has generally been soft compared to wild fish. Not sure why but I imagine the fishes diet and lack of stressing their muscles has something to do with it. Freshness or the processing method may be involved as well.

James Mello

Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"
The farmed stuff from costco that I have bought in the past has generally been soft compared to wild fish. Not sure why but I imagine the fishes diet and lack of stressing their muscles has something to do with it. Freshness or the processing method may be involved as well.
Hrm.... I haven't bought the Costco stuff yet, mostly cause I usually have enough wild caught to keep us in fish, but I'm thinking of giving it a try.... At least I'll know what's up if it's soft then :)

ceviche

To return to the original thread...

If you think you have an issue with farmed steelhead at Costco, I recently dined at Le Gourmand in Ballard, and they had steelhead on the "prix fixe" menu. I ordered halibut instead.

Yeah, like, most people are going to dine there at the level of $$$ you're going to encounter there (10th year anniversary for Margaret and I speaks for itself). Still, I gave them the "riff" on wild steelhead, as well as thoughts on farmed steelhead (Rainbow versus Steelhead and the problem of farming anadromous fish in estruaries). As it turned out, the steelhead was wild and obtained from someone with some kind of grandfathered license to harvest. Upon finding this out, I affirmed my discomfort about killing wild steelhead and went with the halibut.

I am hoping they will refrain from putting any steelhead on the menu in the future. They're supposed to be the Chez Panisse (Alice Water's restaurant in Berkeley, CA--a very excellent place to dine! A tad spendy, though...) of Seattle. You'd think they would know better, eh?

--Dave E.