Rio AFS Nail-Knot Trouble

fullerfly

Calvin Fuller
Anyone else having trouble getting a Nail-Knot to hold when connecting backing to the Rio AFS?

I have ripped every single Nail-knot off no matter what type of backing. It seems to strip the coating right off the line.

cal

miyawaki

Anyone else having trouble getting a Nail-Knot to hold when connecting backing to the Rio AFS?

I have ripped every single Nail-knot off no matter what type of backing. It seems to strip the coating right off the line.

cal

Are you talking about the running line to backing? Do you have the integrated head or just the head. If you have the head only, it should attach loop to loop to the running line and the running line can be nail knotted or albrighted to the backing. I would suggest the albright as I never trust a nail knot on anything over a 6 weight.

Leland.

Ian Broadie

Flyfishing is so "Metal"
Is the running line the new yellow integrated running line or the older green integrated running line? Rio changed something in the running line along with the color, probably to make it easier to shoot or to fix something that really wasn't broken in the first place. I have the skagit line with the new yellow running line and although I didn't have a problem with the knot stripping of the coating I do seem to remember the micron biting into the coating a little more than expected. I'll check the knot again to make sure that all is well.

You might want to try a dab of head cement on the nail knot right after you cinch it down, should do the trick and it seems to work for me, if not use an Albright knot.

Rob Zelk

I swing, therefore i am.
I use a needle nailknot to connect my running line to the my heads, and an Albright for my running line to my backing, and then coat them with aquaseal. The needle nailknot is strong as heck though takes a bit to perfect. I'm not quite sure, as miyawaki wondered, if you just have just the head or the running line integrated head.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Strip a couple of inches worth of coating from the running line, tie a perfection loop.
Tie a perfection loop in the backing large enough to pass your reel through - then loop to loop connect the two lines.

fullerfly

Calvin Fuller
Have you ever had the perfection loop fail? I have found that this knot doesn't like to hold up to larger fish (Kings, Tarpon, etc...) It is hard for me to go back to somthing once it has failed me on fish.

Richard E

cal
I've had nail knots strip coating from various fly lines over the years, and I just don't use nail knots. I prefer to use loops (make my own), and will use an Albright if loops aren't available.

It will fix your line problem. :thumb:

Latest posts