Lincoln Park?

I live a mile or so from Lincoln Park am thinking of fishing it tonight after work. Is anyone willing to pass on any tips. I'm planning to fish some Clouser Minnows I have, but really am not that adept at fishing the salt water.

I've heard of Les Johnson's book on fishing Sea Run Cutts in the salt, but haven't picked it yet, though I plan to soon.

I have a 7 weight with floating line (my 5 weight sage reel and intermediate line was stolen from my truck), so that's the gear I'll be using.

-Jeff

Richard E

I live a mile or so from Lincoln Park am thinking of fishing it tonight after work. Is anyone willing to pass on any tips. I'm planning to fish some Clouser Minnows I have, but really am not that adept at fishing the salt water.

I've heard of Les Johnson's book on fishing Sea Run Cutts in the salt, but haven't picked it yet, though I plan to soon.

I have a 7 weight with floating line (my 5 weight sage reel and intermediate line was stolen from my truck), so that's the gear I'll be using.

-Jeff

You just need to put in time. LP can be tough at times, and rewarding at times.

If you don't have one, you need to either build yourself a stripping basket or buy one. Don't buy the mesh style, get a hard sided stripping basket. IMHO, it's one of the most important items you can own and use when fishing from the beach. :thumb:

Richard and Ethan,

Thanks for the replies. I don't currently have a stripping basket, so I'll add that to my list of must-haves. I'm pretty excited to give it a go.

I fished Golden Gardens a few times years ago and landed 1 cutt, which was amazingly fun. I also had some fish follow my fly, but was never able to tell what it was.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Richard E

Richard and Ethan,

Thanks for the replies. I don't currently have a stripping basket, so I'll add that to my list of must-haves. I'm pretty excited to give it a go.

I fished Golden Gardens a few times years ago and landed 1 cutt, which was amazingly fun. I also had some fish follow my fly, but was never able to tell what it was.

Thanks again,
Jeff
Try fishing from a beach, lots of weed in the water, fast current, without a stripping basket. You'll scurry home to make one (Rubbermaid dishpan $5, drill about a 3/8" hole in the corner/rim, drill a couple of holes in the bottom side of the pan (to drain water), and attach a bungee cord, as your belt, to those 3/8" holes). Orvis arguably makes the best stripping basket, though at $60 it's steep for some. However, I look at it like buying a fly line; it's about the same amount, and it's a darn important piece of gear for beach fishing. Get one, you'll love it.

Richard,
I'm curious why you recommend a hard-sided vs mesh stripping basket. I've been using a mesh basket, and tried a buddy's hard-sided briefly, but didn't enjoy the experience. (I kept rapping my hand on the side, but no doubt due to operator error, I admit.) What I DON'T like about my mesh basket is that it doesn't have cones, which seems to help with coiling problems. So, I'm interested in your preference, coming from someone with much more experience than me. Thanks.

ChrisW

AKA Beadhead
LOL- it seems like this is the one thing that "factory made" is somehow pretentious, even though as richard pointed out the benefits are well worth the expense. I still have my XL Tupperware pan that I cut slots in and threaded a wading belt through. Didn't think about a bungee though, hmmm... if there was a way to work some duct tape into the equation then we'd be talking!!

The trick is to get it to sit low enough and still stay on, otherwise I feel limited in how much line I can strip, deposit in the basket and stay in the rhythm of my retrieve (such as it is).

Although it makes a nice catch-all bucket for my beach fishing tackle, I sometimes leave it behind & choose to practice coiling the line in my fingers. The trick is to coil exactly the amount of line that you intend to shoot on each false cast - something I have yet to master, hence the stripping basket.

I have been meaning to cut drain holes too, that would be a plus. CW

Well I'm fairly crafty, or at least like to believe I am, so I think I'll fashion a homemade stripping contraption and see how the dust settles. I'm a gear junky though, so maybe I'll buy one from Orvis... damn decision's will eat you alive. :thumb:

Thanks again for the info.

-Jeff

On the Joan Wulff casting video she teaches a coiling technique that with a little practice, is excellent and almost completely eliminates tangles. I'm sure it's taught elsewhere, that's just where I learned it.

Basically, as you're stripping in you count 6 or 8 strips, then tuck that loop behind your ring finger and palm, then keep stripping, only this time 2 fewer loops, then so on and so on; with about 75' of line out you'll end up with 3 or 4 progressively smaller loops by the time you're stripped in within a few feet of your rod tip. Casting back out, these loops are at excellent lengths for hauling or shooting line. It takes some practice, but I find myself using it in the boat, at the beach and in rivers, and now it's second nature and I don't have to count the loops. Only thing it doesn't prevent very well is the amount of salad you can get on your line.

I also have a stripping basket (the rubbermaid version, only with an old wading belt in place of the bungee), just swivel it to the back until I'm tired of holding loops.

Oh. And LP is a great place to live near -- I miss my time there a lot. I've probably been skunked there 20 times, loved each and every one of them. And there were many other days when I couldn't do anything wrong and every fly I had was the deadly ticket. And I've caught a 10 lb silver less than 20' off shore amidst a bunch of buzz-bombers casting over the water I caught the fish in. Good luck and have a great time.

LOL- it seems like this is the one thing that "factory made" is somehow pretentious, even though as richard pointed out the benefits are well worth the expense. I still have my XL Tupperware pan that I cut slots in and threaded a wading belt through. Didn't think about a bungee though, hmmm... if there was a way to work some duct tape into the equation then we'd be talking!!

CW
Nice one!!! Not worth considering for me tho' unless there's some used bubble gum in there too and an oily rag could be a bonus...

Seriously, I use a home made one with a Rubbermaid basin but I have a suspicion that...shock horror, heresy, a factory built one might be better but I've never tried one. They're definately an advantage as the cabbage starts to build up in the water and you don't want to stomp your $50 line into the barnacles so a wise buy/project either way. I've had mixed luck at LP, clousers are a good start but give a popper a go too, they're a lot of fun if the fish are in, tucking your rod under your arm and using a 2 handed strip will give you more hook ups then trad stripping but do a search or maybe Leland (the originator) can chip in. Also if the fish are in and chasing your popper, chances are if you change over to a clouser then you'll be in. Choose a good tide and give it a go!

good luck,

Dave

Good luck,

Dave

Richard E

Well I'm fairly crafty, or at least like to believe I am, so I think I'll fashion a homemade stripping contraption and see how the dust settles. I'm a gear junky though, so maybe I'll buy one from Orvis... damn decision's will eat you alive. :thumb:

Thanks again for the info.

-Jeff

Orvis just sent out a coupon for $25 off $50 or more purchase; that makes the stripping basket, with tax, about a $40 deal. It's ready to go, has cutouts to hold your rod when you're changing flies, has cones in the bottom to keep your line separated (from tangling), and comes with a web belt. Ready to go. I'd be all over that like a cop on a donut.

Richard E

Richard,
I'm curious why you recommend a hard-sided vs mesh stripping basket. I've been using a mesh basket, and tried a buddy's hard-sided briefly, but didn't enjoy the experience. (I kept rapping my hand on the side, but no doubt due to operator error, I admit.) What I DON'T like about my mesh basket is that it doesn't have cones, which seems to help with coiling problems. So, I'm interested in your preference, coming from someone with much more experience than me. Thanks.
The mesh stripping baskets form somewhat of a tapered pocket, where the line collects in the bottom. If you are busting big casts and have a lot line in the bottom of the 'pocket', so to speak, tangles happen.

I have a mesh basket that stays in the bottom of my wading bag, as an emergency backup stripping basket or a loaner for buddies, but the hard sided stripping basket is the American Express of beach fishing equipment; never leave home without it. :thumb:

One other MAJOR differnence; decals won't stay stuck to the mesh like the do the hard sided baskets. HA!! ;)

Latest posts