Best steelhead town..

Panhandle

What do you think is the best city or town in the west for steelhead mania?

Steelhead City in other words. My home town of Portland would be my vote. Medford sounds pretty good as well.

Porter

Good and tough question.

Twisp comes to mind.
There are a couple of Oregon Coast towns that I like very much near Tillamook Valley.

Panhandle

Ya, but maupin really restricts you to the D, and the D has no winter run. Sure, you have the Santiams and Sandy, but crossing over in winter isn't very easy.

Buck

"Ride'n Dirty."

iagree

Great town with friendly people! If you go to the main drag and Bogachiel way, there is a restaurant there that serves a huge rib-eye steak. I mean huge! Also there is a tackle shop there, they have a nice selection of flies but more importantly if your gear is not up to snuff (like mine the drag way really f'd up) he can fix it....in fact he said he can fix everything but a broken heart. O' the charge 5 clams. Reel, in good shape still.

Also, if your up that way and you might want your first day with a guide...someone that can get you on some fish, check out this guy.

http://www.jimkerrguides.com/

Well, my vote is clear Forks!

Salmo_g

Pan,

Coach got it right. You didn't say lower 48 in your original post. In the lower 48 the closest to fresh steelhead entering 12 months per year is Forks. Runnerups Toledo on the Cowlitz, Woodland on the Lewis. 12 months/year steelheading. Doesn't get any more intense than that.

Now I suppose you've got additional qualifiers that you left out . . .

Sg