Most useless piece of kit you purchased?

"Cabela's" fly fishing products, (especially their waders and their tippet/leader, JUNK JUNK JUNK! I no longer buy ANY gear that says "Cabelas" on it.) Korkers Cross Current wading boots, (falling apart at the seems after 2 weeks of use) The "Reel-E-Good" Winder, (Cheap plastic junk, doesn't work with 99% of fly line spools, useless!) Solar powered Mosquito Annoyer (doesn't prevent mosquitos, high pitch buzzing annoys the human user more than any of the insects!).

That's all I can think of right now...
Gotta agree w/ the Reel-E-Good winder. I used one once, and it took me about two hours to untangle the bird's nest when the line winder spool came apart.

Krusty

Bought a Moodus knot tying tool. Used it a couple of times and gave up on it as it caused more problems than it solved.

Regards
Yeah, it's an ancient thread, but I gotta comment on the Moodus knot tool. It's the best bloodknot tool I've ever used (and...after over 50 years of collecting flyfishing gizmos....I got a lot of ....knot gizmos)!!

Its hook threading setup also works pretty good too on very small sized hooks...which an old geezer like myself very much appreciates. I think enough of this tool that I have 4 of 'em...they're hard to find and I'm always dropping something in the damn lake.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
This may not count as I didn't buy it. The marvel of modern ingenuity was given to me for my birthday many years ago.

A worm box for raising your own worms...
I know how you feel, after following the directions I was disappointed when I opened it up a week later and ther was no woolley worms inside

Bradley Miller

Dances with fish
I don't know.
All I do pretty much is catch and release.
But did that stop me from buying a nice looking Benchmade
fillet knife? Nope.
Never used it.
Sure is pretty though.

KerryS

Ignored Member
My friend has filled out three cards so far on a S river
The S river I fish was a perfect example of 10% of the fishermen catching 90% of the fish. I got to know a few of the 10% that caught a ton of silvers this year. I watched and seen that the guys catching most of the fish trolled and/or cast spoons and fished all over the river, those that didn't catch fish plunked in one spot whether from the shore or a boat. Watch, learn, catch more fish. Sit, drink beer, complain the fish didn't show up.

That immediately come to mind:

1) 7x and 8x tippet. Like when does a person use that?
2) A device (like a little enclosed reel with a cotton line inside it) that was supposed to help when a person is changing lines in a float tube. Great concept, crummy product.
I'm going to use some 7x this weekend! I bought 7x for the San Juan River in NM to fish size 26 midges. HAven't used it much since then but I'm gonna fish a lake this weekend with tiny tiny midges too

"Cabela's" fly fishing products, (especially their waders and their tippet/leader, JUNK JUNK JUNK! I no longer buy ANY gear that says "Cabelas" on it.) Korkers Cross Current wading boots, (falling apart at the seems after 2 weeks of use) The "Reel-E-Good" Winder, (Cheap plastic junk, doesn't work with 99% of fly line spools, useless!) Solar powered Mosquito Annoyer (doesn't prevent mosquitos, high pitch buzzing annoys the human user more than any of the insects!).

That's all I can think of right now...
I have Cabelas's waders. I've used them pretty hard for the last two years and the only leak they've gotten is because I fell down a hill and tore a nice hole in them. I'm pretty happy with mine.

I have Cabelas's waders. I've used them pretty hard for the last two years and the only leak they've gotten is because I fell down a hill and tore a nice hole in them. I'm pretty happy with mine.
I like my cabelas waders too. Only brand I've found that fist my shape well enough to not have seem stress or too much baggy material.