High gas prices, what is the 'new' best fly fishing/recreating vehicle?

PT

Physhicist
My '97 Outback gets 28 mpg combined highway/city and I pretty much drive it as if I stole it. 4 cylinder 5 speed. Pulls my DB or raft without any problems at all and has handled all the launches on every river around the area. Unless I look in my rear view I don't even know there's a boat back there.

I love my Outback. IMHO it is the perfect vehicle for fishing nowdays because I get good mileage (26-32), I have all-wheel drive, and it has better ground clearance than many SUV's.

Tom Johnston

Been around a while
I really, really want to like this car; I want to support Ford, the prices are right (relative to other hybrids), it seems like a decent vehicle. However, it has no towing capacity. Like, none. I don't even believe Ford even gives it a rating. :confused:
You could probly tow a small drift boat. Seen weirder vehicles towing stuff down the road.

Richard E

Honda Element!

Positives: AWD, tons of room, can sleep 2, good gas mileage, easy to clean, easily tow a drift boat, reasonably priced, kid friendly, Seattle friendly, reliable.

Negative: Looks goofy as hell.
I think those are pretty cool rigs.

What is good gas mileage? I've heard they are in the 19-22 range. I've also heard that there their fairly noisy on the road, which makes sense to the extent they are designed as a pretty spartan rig (probably less insulation relative to others?).

Flayel

Like father like son (there's not any beer in it)
I bought a scooter to fight the price of gas. It's an overseas knock-off but it rides good. I can go 60+ mph and get 80mpg or so. For the price I payed for it it wont be long to make up the purchase with economy. I can even take my wife and ride with her on it too very comfortable 2 seater. It fits around 2 cases of beer under the seat also; just strap the pole on the back and go. Only downside is I can't take the kiddos with me, the law says passengers have to be at least five y/o to ride on a motorcycle.

As for the family vehicle we were economy driven there also. Pontiac Vibe a wagon/suv type thing they call it a crossover vehicle. I didnt get the awd model cuz they get about 24-28mph and we get 30-35 constantly without it and with good snow tires and smart driving we get around pretty good in the winter too.

I do have a car for myself that no one really rides in with me; maybe it's how the car looks. It's a 93 VW Fox that hit a deer in the front once upon a time. When I got it I built a monster bumper for the front out of a motorhome axle and some other tubing; very stylish. The next deer will not be so lucky to damage the car nearly as bad :p. that car also gets 25-32 mpg when you go further than 5 miles at least.

Richard E

I love my Outback. IMHO it is the perfect vehicle for fishing nowdays because I get good mileage (26-32), I have all-wheel drive, and it has better ground clearance than many SUV's.
Which engine do you have? What year Outback? A few months ago there was a similar thread, and I think it was Chris Puma who said his Subaru gets 17 mpg . . . I've heard they are in the low 20's, but that's just what I've heard. I presume your 26-32 is on the highway . . . ?

ChrisW

AKA Beadhead
VW Jetta Diesel TDI Wagon: 40-45 mpg highway. If I could keep it under 55mph (which I can't - Damn turbo! :) ) I could get close to 50mpg.

runs on Biodiesel too

CW

Without DB about 25, with DB about 15 and it is noisy on the freeway. Not great gas mileage, but for a SUV-like vehicle it does reasonably well. They look small from the outside, but with or without the back seats in there's a ton of room. It is a pretty "thin" rig.

EDIT: After typing this I realized I don't get as good as gas mileage as I thought. I still love the Element though.

I think those are pretty cool rigs.

What is good gas mileage? I've heard they are in the 19-22 range. I've also heard that there their fairly noisy on the road, which makes sense to the extent they are designed as a pretty spartan rig (probably less insulation relative to others?).

Calvin1

I went with the Element. It has full time AWD which reduces the mileage from what you'd expect for a 4 cylinder, however, it's still better than what I'd expect from a larger vehicle. The plus for me is that flexibility of the interior. It's easy to remove or fold the rear seats, the front and back seats fold down and create a good platform which accomodates a full size air mattress. That with the privacy curtain create a nice little mobile hotel room. And it does a great job of towing the drift boat.

Ryan Francis

HUMILITY IS NOT THINKING LESS OF ME, BUT THINKING
I work at a Ford/VW dealership and I see a lot of diesels, hybrids and biofuel...This will probably piss some people off, but biodiesel is crap, what I see here after 50-60k of biodiesel is extremely expensive, fuel heaters destroyed, injector pumps wasted, injectors leaking fuel systems completely destroyed and the lovely smell of french fries......Most biodiesel I have seen is made in someones backyard and not refined(washed) properly, however I feel for these guys, low sulphur diesel that is currently available is also crap.

Hybrids....So far the Escape has been a very reliable vehicle, however it gets no where near
the fuel economy stated, can't tow shit and in five or six years the battery will need to be replaced($5-6k) that to me does not out weigh the savings in fuel mileage..if any

I've driven Fords all my life, the bigger the better I had a 03 f-250 w/ a 7.3 diesel, best truck I have ever owned, had kids and moved to Montana now I drive a old 4Runner and
it is great, cheap to drive, don't care what happens to it. I am sure I will get ripped for the biodiesel statement...but no one likes to hear the truth

Salmo_g

Richard,

I had long lusted for a Ford F-250 diesel club cab with 4 doors and full 8' bed. I needed a new car in 2000 and could afford the truck, and I could afford to put the fuel in it for the annual mileage I drive (~ 15k). But I didn't want more than one vehicle and my conservative nature wouldn't abide the overly ostentatious behavior of driving a gas or diesel guzzler for everyday use and the 7 miles to my office 5 days a week in particular. Even if I could afford it, I can't see sending that much of my paycheck to an oil company every month. I'd rather have a bottle of wine with dinner every night.

I bought a 2000 Subaru Outback. It makes the best of the compromises important to me. It's got enough luxury, comfortable ride, seat heaters, outside mirror defrosters, 6 disc CD player, etc. and economy. I have the 4 cyl. engine and get consistently 26 mpg, a little less in town driving in the winter. I have bike racks on the roof and a hitch to tow my 16' Lund with 50 hp jet drive outboard. I can be found a bit too often in the freeway fast lane going the speed limit or a scoosh more. It has 112k miles, and when it gives up the ghost I'll probably buy another unless I learn of some all-in-one-vehicle that does it better.

Sg

My F-150 is no longer my commuting car, the wife drives it to the park and ride to catch the bus, a tank of gas lasts one month. I drive a 2004 Corolla and with 80k on it since new we have yet to get less then 30mpg on a tank of gas. The F-150 will tow a boat fine, and towed our ~5000lb. trailer to Yellowstone and back averaging 10mpg, not the best but what can you do?

Ed Call

I bought a scooter to fight the price of gas.

When I got it I built a monster bumper for the front out of a motorhome axle and some other tubing; very stylish. The next deer will not be so lucky to damage the car nearly as bad :p. that car also gets 25-32 mpg when you go further than 5 miles at least.
Scooters are fun until your friends see you on one.

I hope your bumber creation does not just flip the next dear into your passenger cabin, less damage to your car, more damage to your person.

Flyborg

VW Jetta Diesel TDI Wagon: 40-45 mpg highway. If I could keep it under 55mph (which I can't - Damn turbo! :) ) I could get close to 50mpg.

runs on Biodiesel too

CW
:thumb:

Saw a great article somewhere on a bunch of diesel SUV's that get over 40mpg manufactured right here in the US, but the manufacturers are only allowed to sell them in Europe.

Latest posts