Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sage TCX

18K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Benjiman 
#1 ·
Anyone tried one yet?

Good, bad or indifferent?

:hmmm:

#3 ·
(Noted: Below info is my personal experience based on 30 minutes parking lot casting; TCX590-4 and TCR)

I got a chance to cast the TCX 590 today, light green grass coloration with beautiful cork. (this is Winston quality cork!).

This rod is very light in hand almost like a light 3wt rod to me. The decreased weight really increase the sensitivity and the feel. I always feel sage is very good at creating a low swing weight rod. crispy and light feel. extra sensitive!

TCX 590 is a fast action rod, but not as fast as TCR. The rod remind me a lot of the XP 590. (I feel TCR is a smooth version rod of XP 590, which is the rod I have been waiting for...Noted: personally I feel the tip section of Z-Axis is too soft).

The most amazing thing to me is the smoothness and sensitivity of this rod, I try to punch this rod very hard into the wind, I felt the rod can be loaded into the butt section. The light weight also increase the feel of the load. very easy to detact the changes of the loading and feel the line.

Overall, I think TCX not only is a supreb casting rod, but also would be a great fun rod in real fishing situation. The price $810 .... hmmm ... about time to let go other equipment...

#6 ·
FYI, this message is from Sage.

Hi Robert,

Fly shops should start to be getting them in now. You can test cast one
at your local shop probably after October 1st. They will see their cast
in the public next week at FFR. I just spoke with Creekside Angling and
they will be ordering them shortly.

#7 ·
I am still holding out for the SAGE XXX line. :D

#16 ·
Tyler,

Since this rod is a modification of its TCR predecessor, it still will be much faster than the Z-Axis. Not having cast the TCX yet, I can't tell you to what degree the stiffness variance is between the two rods.

John,

A 10' rod will always be more "willowy" for lack of a better term, than shorter models of the same weight. The Sage TCR 690 is noticibly stiffer than the more favored 697 model, since the added 6" of the 697, imparts greater feel during casting.

#17 ·
Good point! Bob

Personally, I will see TCX as the new version of the XP. (not TCR.)
590 XP and TCX has similar action... well... to me...
Another thing, the TCXs are much easy to cast (SAGE people will tell you that too), I tried some sloppy casts in the practice...it's hard to make a tailing loop...

#19 ·
I picked up a 4, 5 and 8 weight TCX the other day. More powerful and quicker than a Z Axis (traded mine in). No tailing loops if you overpower it. This was a problem I had with the z axis. Very fast tip recovery. Extremely accurate. What can I say? Get one.

By the way. If you think they are expensive in the USA try paying UK prices!!

#20 ·
Hello,

Went fishing today, with my new Sage TCX 691-4. Never had a better feeling during the cast! Cool new toy!(See picture)

Just wanted to hear, if any one got some recomandations for a good line on it?

Right now i am using a Scierra HMT 8wt WF. It has a 17grams belly, and feels right. But im looking into getting an S.A. GPX og Exp.dist. What line klass would fit?

:)

Vince

Attachments

#21 ·
The TCX is a really awesome rod. I casted one yesterday at Puget Sound Fly with another gentleman. We also took out a Z-Axis to compare. Both are extremely very nice and here is my take.

For me, From the get go, I could tell the TCX rod was a more stiff than the Z-axis. Not that it is a bad thing because it was very very very smooth kindof a stiffness if there is any other explanation than that? Compared the stiffness with the TCR however, the TCRs IMHO is way more stiff, thus harder to cast. Even with the "smooth" stiffness in the TCX it is very very easy to cast. Just pick it up and go without concentrating one bit on the cast. A couple of backcasts and let it go and all of your line shoots out with little to no effort.

Compared to the Z-axis. They are both extremely similar to me as far as fast action, but of course the Z-axis has more flex than the TCX.

We were casting with an SA GPX 5 weight and man, there was no effort whatsoever to cast those things.

First time at the shop (picking my dad up at the airport) and I'll always go if I'm down that way. Anil is a cool dude. Picked up some material after Anil tied up a fly for me.

Holy smokes on the price of the TCX man! But that's just the way it is these days.

Good fishing, Matt

#23 ·
Porter- an in-house source told me the reel seat is aluminum.

Casted the TCX, XP and Z-axis last night with him. For a newbie like me that likes it real fast, they all seemed to do the job, and the difference was like splitting hairs. The TCX just seemed much more comfortable for me, but they would all do a fine job if need be.

Can't wait for my 6 wt. to get here.

#25 ·
I own a 490-4 and love this rod. That being said, mine was a gift and before owning an 800$ rod I would probably never have purchased one on my own. But after fishing it awhile I will never flinch at tossing out the cash for another. I can cast the line or just lay out the leader with it, which is great concerning my casting prowess or lack there of! Can I afford an Audi R8? No! Would I be ashamed to have one? Probably, but who cares?
I lined mine with an SA Shark Skin and am really impressed with this line as well. It did all the ad said it would but I haven't had it long enough to say wether or not the durability claims are true. Also this line will smoke your fingers on a run. Like a chain saw blade in that sense.
But we all know that one mans treasure is yard sale material for another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.