Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishing related Political Question: Sarah Palin and Pebble mine?

14K views 174 replies 57 participants last post by  Chris Scoones 
#1 ·
Please do not turn this into a discussion about presidential politics. I have a specific question about Palin's stance on the Pebble mine project threatening the bristol bay watershed, being that she hails from Alaska. Let's try to stay on that topic.

1) Where does Ms Palin stand on this project? (facts only please)
2) Would she be able to do anything for or against it? as US vp? as AK govenor? (some conjecture would be appropriate here)
3) As fly fishers, would you vote for a presidential ticket based on this issue alone, if the two options were likely to yield different results?

Again, Please keep any replies focused on the Pebble mine issue. We all know all about the other differences.

#4 ·
http://www.smh.com.au/news/global-w...warming-science/2008/08/31/1220121106694.html

"Recently, Palin said publicly she would vote no on a state initiative that said no large metal mines would be permitted to pollute streams where salmon spawn.

The initiative was aimed at the Pebble mine near Bristol Bay, a major fishery. Voters defeated it on Tuesday.

Palin hasn't made a definitive statement about the mine, but the initiative was targeted at it"

#5 ·
1. She made a stance on it and as stated above, she is against it.

2. If she is voted into office as VP, I'm sure she will still show special interest regarding the issue but seeing her on the teli and her ability to debate, I'm sure her voice will be heavily wade upon.

3. Hmmmm? Not really but she is more to my liking as far as the other candidates.

#6 ·
I had read that she is against mine types such as Pebble. She is also a supporter of drilling for oil and natrual gas along Alaska's north coast.

I believe that as the lead executive of Alaska her local abiliity may be more direct than as the Vice President.

I hope that I'm never in a situation that one single issue decides which way to go on a ballot, rather all that I can gather to inform myself of a candidate's record I try to read to give myself a better perspective of how a candidate would lean or what lobbyists could leverage that candidate. As a former History major and life long student (I guess I'm a slow learner) I always try to do a lot of candidate research that is outside of main stream media publications (to avoid their bias).

#7 ·
Hey guys, isn't the answer obvious?

McCain and Palin are more of the same.

If you want another 4 years like the last 8, vote for them.

Don't be confused by rhetoric such as "maverick".

Of course they will support special interests with little care for the environmental conseqences just like Bush.

Of course they will waste precious time making a big deal about moral values related tripe when this country's true problems are totally unrelated.

I'll guarantee there will be zero change in this country's policies if they win.

And I am not just some liberal dumbass, I really wanted to vote for McCain in 2000 but it just doesn't seem right to reward the Republicans after the last 8 years with another 4.

#9 ·
After reading the above it appears that she hasn't done anything.

She is FOR large mines in salmon watersheds and against any legislation that would keep them out.

#11 ·
If ya want 4 more years like the last 8?
Or do ya want 4 years under the thumb of a person that wants to take away your rights (Constitutional) and a yes man that has been on the tax payers dole for more years than I can count.
Seems like I'm off track.
I'm not against mining, but I'm against wasting and it seems like everything that has anything to do with money gets wasted.
Oil drilling, logging, commerical fishing, building bigger hiways, more new homes, etc. When is enough, enough.
Just my .02

#13 ·
Or do ya want 4 years under the thumb of a person that wants to take away your rights (Constitutional) and a yes man that has been on the tax payers dole for more years than I can count.Just my .02
Who are you referring to Gary?

#24 ·
#23 ·
Please do not turn this into a discussion about presidential politics. I have a specific question about Palin's stance on the Pebble mine project threatening the bristol bay watershed, being that she hails from Alaska. Let's try to stay on that topic.

1) Where does Ms Palin stand on this project? (facts only please)
2) Would she be able to do anything for or against it? as US vp? as AK govenor? (some conjecture would be appropriate here)
3) As fly fishers, would you vote for a presidential ticket based on this issue alone, if the two options were likely to yield different results?

Again, Please keep any replies focused on the Pebble mine issue. We all know all about the other differences.
1. Neutral according to her.

2. She's a female face targeting the soccer mom votes.(think cheney, bush but in reverse) The guy who washes and starches McCane's tighty whiteys will have more of an impact on the president's daily decisions than she will.

3. No, I will vote for the party that currently does not have control of congress every election. The less power either *cough* political party *cough* has the better.

4. If given a time machine dialed in to 1984 I'd definatly tap dat. :rofl:

#26 ·
"As part of a Bristol Bay fishing family myself, I would not support any resource development that would endanger the most sensitive and productive fishery in the world.

The State of Alaska has stringent laws and regulations already in place to prevent environmental problems. As Governor, I will empower our state regulators, oversight officers, and scientists to do their jobs in all areas of resource development. I promise all Alaskans my administration will enforce the laws to the letter and ensure protection of our fishing and environmental resources so they will not be compromised or endangered by development.

The Pebble Mine is a lightening rod for any discussion of open pit mining. The Pebble management firm, Northern Dynasty Mines, Inc., has not yet submitted a plan for public review and comment so the specific impacts are unknown. From completion of exploration to development could take 10 years or better because of permitting issues, public hearings and lawsuits. Northern Dynasty has a legal right to complete its studies and submit applications before the state judges the costs and benefits of the project. "

her own words quoted from her website when she was running for governor.

#46 ·
Now we are well adrift off topic, but I believe it is tough to vote on key issues in congress when you are in fact on the road shaking hands, waving, kissing babies and trying to get votes when you are supposed to be in your office at work.

#33 ·
The claim was investigated by an ethics committee. They found she broke no laws because she was making the statement out of personal belief and not making the statement as the governor of Alaska. She must be doing something right to have such a high approval rating. I have read a lot of the bills that both McCain and Obama have introduced while in the Senate. McCain has a fair share of bills that have been pro-environmental support whil Obama's bills tend to be along the lines of "I want the senate to recognize this African-American because of the great things they did." I don't see many bills from him that are meaningful. Check it out for yourselves. --just a disclaimer I am in no ways racist and believe there are a lot of minorities that have done things for this country that should be recognized...

http://thomas.loc.gov/

This is the library of congresses search portal for senate activities. The media is going to put whatever spin they want on a story. It's hard to put a spin on anything when you are reading what the candidates have ACTUALLY said and ACTUALLY done, not just relying on some biased radio, newspaper, television outlet to give you their summary. Look at the bills these 2 men have introduced while they were in the senate. What they did there will be an indication of what they do in the Oval office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.