Vancouver Island Spring/Summer Photo Round-up.

With the passing of the season, I thought I'd post a few photos.

Spring

As do most of us - I look forward to the Spring season after a winter of swinging the 8 weight for Steelies in big water. Its a time of renewal in the forest and in the stream. A time for the chironomds in the still water and salmon fry flies in the salt water estuaries. Bear cubs and fawns on the river bank. Blue skies and gentle showers.

Springtime Chironomid emerger pattern.

And the mountain tarn Cutthroat that take them with abandon.

Spring streamer pattern I like for stillwater Browns.

And the Browns that can't pass it up.

Watching for rises in a high country, hike in lake.

A Spring fog can make for some surreal fishing.

Summer

Short sleeves and wet wading - when a streamside hike can be as enjoyable as the fishing. Pollen and wild flowers on the breeze - a time for the 2 weight and dry flies.

Bears like places where water and land meet as much as I - and for the same reasons - berries and fish! They are truly my "spirit animal".

My favorite fishin' partner's first dry fly caught trout.

My first Van Isle Dolly Varden.

A bevy of healthy stream resident Cutthroat.

Wet wading on a fine summers day.

I'm looking forward to the fall season and wish you all great luck with yours!

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Thanks for sharing those pics. I always like to see good shots of Coastal Cutts. Thanks also for the good shots of your flies. Both the emerger and the streamer look absolutely deadly!

Glad you liked them, and thank you all for your kind words!

Great pics! What camera?
Its a Canon S3 IS. I really like it, but need to upgrade to the S5, soon!

I can't waite to make the trip to Vancouver Island to shoot one of their giant black bears.
Actually, Arizona has some of the largest Black Bears in North America living up in the hills - so you might wish to stay home to do your trophy hunting.
I'd sure prefer you shot our Van Isle bears with a camera, rather than a rifle - as I said, they're kinda my spirit animal - ha ha!

And you'd be more likely to return to your vehicle and not find it a burned-out hulk, as well - a win/win kinda thing!
I don't mean to be unfriendly - its just how it is in these parts and we really don't need those kind of tourist dollars.
Our provincial/federal government might not feel its all that important to look after our bears - but I don't mind hauling their slack, some.

Meat Sweats

Retired from Fly Fishing
I hear you Buddy. I shoot the AZ bears too. And yess they are large. I'm an equal opportunity bear hunter. Didn't realize that bear hunting was such a sensitive issue in your parts.