Pattern Shrimp pattern for resident coho and sea-run cutthroat

Below are a photograph, materials list, and instructions to tie a very effective shrimp paattern for resident coho and sea-run cutthroat.

Hook: #6 Mustad 34011 or #6 TMC 9394 4XL

Thread: Black mono cord

Weight: .03 lead wire

Body: Mix of 1/2 and 1/2 Riverborn Simi Seal Dubbing(Golden shiner #21)
and Hareline Dubbin: Medium brown Krystal Dub

Hackle: Grizzly cock saddle patch brown

Tail: Squirrel tail natural brown

About 3/4 of the hook shank is wrapped woth .03 lead wire. Tie on about 3/4" of squirrel tail for the tail. Tie on the hackle at back of the hook shank and then dub body over the wrapped .03 lead wire. Palmer hackle foreward over the dubbed body and tie off. Pretty simple and takes only a couple of minutes to tie.

I am presently using the pattern with the hackle in a full palmer(top pattern) but have tied up some with the hackle clipped(bottom pattern) on the top. The clipped ones look better to my eyes but the resident coho and sea-run cutthroat don't appear to care whether the top is clipped or not. I coat the top of the clipped pattern with Softex to give it the appearance of a shell back.

Roger

Attachments

Ed Call

Another great pattern Roger. Thanks for sharing and openly commenting on how they are producing for you...time to go squirrel hunting.

Nicely done, Roger. Thanks. Your previous description was enough to make it possible to duplicate this, but it's always nice to see the picture.

I've had luck on on a barely similar pattern but smaller:

Tail of burnt orange marabou, 1/2 shank length
Body of chenille to match the dubbing you show
Hackle of brown (red game) saddle palmered, clipped top and bottom so that fibers stick out on both sides
Hot orange conehead on #6 34007

Nicely done, Roger. Thanks. Your previous description was enough to make it possible to duplicate this, but it's always nice to see the picture.
Dear BFK,

How nice that you are so visually gifted or perhaps already own the entire Hareline catalog, for the rest of us that like to substitute materials, pictures allow us not to have to run out and buy "X Y & Z" every time someone posts a new recipe (i.e., dubbing colors).

Thanks again Roger for taking the time and effort to post a photo!

--SW

Dear BFK,

How nice that you are so visually gifted or perhaps already own the entire Hareline catalog, for the rest of us that like to substitute materials, pictures allow us not to have to run out and buy "X Y & Z" every time someone posts a new recipe (i.e., dubbing colors).

Thanks again Roger for taking the time and effort to post a photo!

--SW
FYI-- That was a complement to Roger's description. Photos are nice, no doubt, but Roger pretty much nailed it in what he said.

Roger, this is a great looking pattern.

I tie a "Bead-head Woolly Bugger" that's similar to Roger's pattern in terms of shape and color. I'm not sure whether it imitates a shrimp, a marine worm, or just something tasty looking.

Hook: Mustad 9672 8-6
Bead: Gold 5/32 or 3/16
Body: New age chenille Goldenstone #2, or Simi-Seal in olive amber
Hackle: brown saddle - palmered
Rib: Copper wire, counter-wrapped over hackle for durability

Tom
Kent, WA

Attachments

Thanks Roger! Using a variant of your pattern (added black bead-chain eyes & a counter rib of a couple strands of pink krystal flash) I went 3 for 6 on rezzies in about 2.5 hours of fishing on the blustery So. Sound today.

I had thrown a small marabou clouser for about 45 min before switching to the shrimp and then hooked up on the second cast. Fishing it on the swing in the tidal current with a very slow twitchy retrieve seemed to be the ticket.

T.

Jake Bannon

nymphs for steelhead....
Ive found shrimp patterns to produce alot more fish in the last couple weeks as to baitfish. I like to start out with epoxy heads, clousers...ect and maybe hook up a couple times but once I start fishing the smaller pink and orange shrimps its like someone turns the light on. Ive gotta tie up a few of these more "natural" colored shrimps. It seems like all I have is the basic brighter and flashier imatations.