NOR-VISE

I could have sworn it was a complete dickhead with your handle Halycon that decided to be an asshole on a Walt Johnson based post. Accused me of being a name dropper and took the conversation away from Walt, which was the real crime. Walt was a gem. Typical "my blow up doll doesn't do it for me anymore so I'll start up some shit I'd be scared to finish offline" post from another computer jockey. I'm used to those kind of attacks. But if that isn't you, my mistake, apologies and tight lines I had you confused with someone else! If it was you, go fuck yourself. Coach

I have used the Nor-Vice and bobbins for many years. I'm on my third vice (still have the other two, just upgrade as Norm comes out with newer models) and wouldn't tie any other way...The Nor-vice is a great system and customer service is awesome. There is a learning cure that can take some time. Alot of folks quit before they actually figure out how to use it but if you stick it out, it gives you some pretty cool options on both speed, techniques and fly creativity.

I couldn't have summed it up any more succintly. Good Job Coach!

I have posted many times before on the attributes of this system and, for me, it feels awkward tying with any other vise. My only addition to the aforementioned comments would be that if anyone is going to eek out all of the potential of the vise, they really should learn to manage the bobbin as it truly does add to the experience and completes the "system".

I think the Nor-Vise is to Fly tying what spey rods are to steelhead fishing.

Some will not change because there are a few more techniques involved etc. You can do more with less effort. Sure it is a learning curve, but once there, it is awesome!

sweetlou

Its only a learning curve if you have tied with the conventional systems before. If you have never tied, and start learning on this vise, where is the curve?

I went exclusively to the Nor-vise system in my shop. I now have 8 vises for classes. All of them have been outfitted with the midge jaws with the new style bent arm. I have to agree with sweetlou ; that it is easier to teach someone that has never tyed on a conventional vise or at the very minimum has an open mind to learning new techniques. But, baffles me though is when I see someone that owns any rotary vise and won't use it to it's potential by tying rotary. The new vises have gotten a lot of revamping in the last year that most don't even know about. All for the good and makes them even better.

watching norm tie wooly buggers or twirl on some tinsel at a fly fishing/tying show is quite a novelty, but after a few minutes the novelty wears off and then i say to myself that my traveler can do the same thing. imho.

I have a travellor a regal and a nor.
I like'em all. Use'em all. Big flies on the regal.
Itty bitties on the travellor and certain ones.....which I know from
experience, on the nor. If a little is good, a lot is better, no?

Works for all kinds of things.

I bought one yesterday at the show. Norm seems to be a really nice guy. So far I have tied about 20 clousers and they are looking pretty good! I am not sure about the bobbin yet...