AFS leader

Ok, so i have a 6wt cpx 10'6" switch rod that's gonna be my summer/ beach rod. I decided to finally go try it out. I loaded it with Rio AFS head with some slickshooter, and I had a 10 ft fast sink poly leader on with about 4 ft of tippet. Are the 10 foot poly leaders what i should be using for this setup. I have only been out a couple times to play with new rods so im still getting feel for it.

I did manage to accidentally catch a nice 16" cutt while thrashing around out by hood canal. It was beautiful.....they seem to like a little black woolhead sculpin when it turns to winter.

miyawaki

Ok, so i have a 6wt cpx 10'6" switch rod that's gonna be my summer/ beach rod. I decided to finally go try it out. I loaded it with Rio AFS head with some slickshooter, and I had a 10 ft fast sink poly leader on with about 4 ft of tippet.

I'd suggest shortening your tippet to about a foot or 18." No sense in leaving your fly up while your polyleader is sinking.

Leland.

Good point. I just kinda threw something on cause i wanted to go cast this thing. It was only poly leader i had. I intend on getting the clear floater for most work....that is if i should be using these things. Airflo has their 10ft ones and 14ft spey ones. Rio has their versileaders in 10ft and 15ft. Not sure which to look at.

What did you get as a spey setup again Ethan? We need to go to the OP for spey wars and some steelhead.....

I caught a really nice cutt down at sals yesterday playing with switch rod.

Ethan G.

I do science.. on fish..
I just finished building my Forecast 12'6" 7/8 wt. Lined that up with an AFS 6/7 with the Rio 10ft. leaders. I've tried to cast it around my lawn but that doesn't work too well.

If I could get someone to trade shifts with me on Saturday we could head out this weekend if you want to.
-Ethan

Ed Call

Do you Poulsbo studs actually know what you are doing? I have a 13'6" TFO Deer Creek 7/8 that Leland helped me match a line too that I've yet to fish. I would not mind tagging along somewhere to observe and flail a bit.

Latest posts