Skagit Report

miyawaki

Fished with good buddy John Farrar and his boat "Bella" today. I fished a fresh out-of-the-tube prototype Helios 8wt switch rod with a 6/7 AFS head, fast sink polyleader and a purple Keen's Magic. At 10:30 AM, in 38 degree water, I got a good solid grab from a hatchery buck that jumped three times and put the eleven footer through some good hoops.

John hustled down from the head and took a couple shots with his dead battery camera. Luckily, a fellow WFF board member, Sean, was there with his camera. Maybe he'll be able to post up the shot in this thread.

Fish on,
Leland.

Ed Call

Now that is a sweet report, crisp, concise and full of words that let your mind paint a picture...and if Sean gets one posted we can see how well Lelands descriptors truly are.

Thanks for sharing some positive report mojo!

Keen's Magic flies are fun to tie--the "Stilly" version was in NW Flyfishing a couple of years ago. Since I haven't made the switch to tubes, I've tied them on regular hooks and one experimental Wadd shank version. They look so fishy! I assume a purple one is a "Sakgit Magic?"

Leland, any bull trout show up as well?

Tom

miyawaki

Keen's Magic flies are fun to tie--the "Stilly" version was in NW Flyfishing a couple of years ago. Since I haven't made the switch to tubes, I've tied them on regular hooks and one experimental Wadd shank version. They look so fishy! I assume a purple one is a "Sakgit Magic?"

Leland, any bull trout show up as well?

Tom
I was on the river last Monday and one of the guys caught a nice dollie (a nicer name for such a pretty fish). Also, one of my customers caught eight a few days ago.

Leland.

Yes, I agree that "Dolly" is a much nicer name than "bull trout," though the latter is technically correct. I tried using "Bully" for a while, but it never sounded right. I think I'll stick with dolly for common usage, and leave the nit-picking on technicalities (my occasional guilt) to others.

I'll be on the Sauk tomorrow--a bit early for SH, maybe--what color would a "Sauk Magic" be?

Tom

Sounds like a great day Leland. John is a cool guy I got to fish the yak with him a few years back had a great time. Congrats on the hook up..

miyawaki

Yes, I agree that "Dolly" is a much nicer name than "bull trout," though the latter is technically correct. I tried using "Bully" for a while, but it never sounded right. I think I'll stick with dolly for common usage, and leave the nit-picking on technicalities (my occasional guilt) to others.

I'll be on the Sauk tomorrow--a bit early for SH, maybe--what color would a "Sauk Magic" be?

Tom
The fly is 2/0 Keen's Magic Sauk Purple.

Leland.