12 months of steelheading

Buck

"Ride'n Dirty."
Anybody got suggestions for new gear.
5 for 9 your first year? Fuck the broken rod and quit the sniffling hardcharger! Grab a 12 pack of the good stuff, jump on the internet and go research Burkheimer and Meiser spey rods. After an ass kicking rookie season like that my friend, you owe yourself a real fishing tool and they come with a lifetime warrenty to boot. I am Burkheimer Pro Staff and definately partial, but I love the Meiz and especially Mike Kinney's MKS rods and always will. Then tomorrow when you shake out the cobwebs give one of the boys a call and treat yourself. They will hold your hand and walk you through all of the tough decision making. Who cares about the credit card, it needs a good workout anyways! Think of it as a spa day for men! Congrats on a great rookie season and that trick new rod properly lined and fitted for battle may help you avoid the dreaded sophomore slump. Tight lines and congrats again. The Coach

Hell if you are in Portland, drive to Washougal to Kerry Burkheimer's shop and tell him Coach said you need a new weapon of graphite, cork and titanium. Spring is coming my friend and the horns of battle are sounding! It time for the damn Natives and you don't wade into battle with native steelhead without some firepower.

:beer1:
There is a lot of good info in there. Though I don't have one of those rods, if I had to do it over again, I'd buy any one of them.

Buck

"Ride'n Dirty."
Damn Coach! you got me all fired up!!! I'm going up to the SAUK tomorrow now for sure!
Seriously, I can see why he's a coach. I just about went into my tying room, and snapped every pho'king rod I got. They all suck! bawling:bawling: Thank god I didn't becuase I realized I can't afford to replace them. Or at least I could sell them and get a real rod. :thumb:
Cheers,
Frank.

SpeySpaz

still an authority on nothing
The first steelhead I caught on my crappy starter rod was just as good as the last one I caught on my custom Meiser.

But, the Coach gave you some damn good advice. A broken rod is a very good reason to go big and commit to the art. Besides, fishing a custom rod gives you something pretty to look at while you're grinding through fishless days:D
I know this is true:D

5 for 9? shit, celebrate!

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
First off, consider yourself lucky.

Next (and this is probably the Jack talking) you guys really need to take a fucking break. How many of you guys have ever really fished gear, and I mean FISHED it? You do realize that just as many, if not MORE guys go fishless fishing gear as you hear of guys in the fly world. They don't have a silver bullet there either. Why are more fish caught in the gear world? More guys do it. More rods in the water = more fish caught. My God, makes me wonder who here really has put their years in fishing.

And, mind you, I have over 32 years fishing for steelhead, and almost 29 years fishing with a fly for steelhead and salmon. You have good years and bad years. But you have nothing to bitch about. I know guys who have fished years without a zing on their line.

Thanks Coach. I think the Meiz and Burkheimer are a little out of my reach $$$$. I had plans to upgrade my rod this May at the Sandy river spey clave. Now I cant wait... but thanks to some vary cool peps on this site I may use a loner rod to get me thru..:thumb::thumb:

Tythetier. I have wanted to fish the Washougal for awhile. Anytime you want to throw a fly hit me up. like I said I fish solo missions 8 days a month.

SpeySpaz

First off, consider yourself lucky.

Next (and this is probably the Jack talking) you guys really need to take a fucking break. How many of you guys have ever really fished gear, and I mean FISHED it? You do realize that just as many, if not MORE guys go fishless fishing gear as you hear of guys in the fly world. They don't have a silver bullet there either. Why are more fish caught in the gear world? More guys do it. More rods in the water = more fish caught. My God, makes me wonder who here really has put their years in fishing.

And, mind you, I have over 32 years fishing for steelhead, and almost 29 years fishing with a fly for steelhead and salmon. You have good years and bad years. But you have nothing to bitch about. I know guys who have fished years without a zing on their line.
I fished gear a lot, Jerry. Not 32 years but enough.
I have a half-dozen salmon and steelhead stick with levelwinds, a few spinning rods that have caught a lot of fish, and I've gone through three noodles. They're rusting in my garage as we speak...
I agree it isn't easy catching fish whatever method you choose, and in fact I think spooning in particular is harder to do right than swinging a fly is. Course with the casting part, the reverse applies :D but still, any successful fisherman deserves credit for his skills. I don't think that's where this thread was going though...where is this thread going?

SpeySpaz

Hey man, come over Sat, you know where I live!
My Dad's coming to live with me; he's flying in tomorrow, so I'll definitely be home Sat. with him. You still have my number?