Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Backpacking, flyfishing trip near Camas?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Robert Engleheart 
#1 ·
Just moved here from Michigan... I know there are tons of rivers and streams around. Michigan in opinion has some of the best... I would like to take a 2 to 3 day backpacking trip (all my gear on my pack) along a stream/ river. Some where kind of remote. I don't want to run into a bunch of randoms. CAn anyone suggest a place in closer proximity to the Camas area, or within a hour or so away. Thanks in advance for the advice.

#3 ·
iagree Try the North Fork Skokomish if you want to go that route. It's a little farther than St. Helens National Volcanic Monument or Mt. Rainier National Park, but I like it best because it's a lot less crowded most of the time. If you want closer, I'm sure there's some National Forest closer to you.

Welcome to the northwest! You'll find more outdoor sports here than you can ever desire.
-Ethan

#4 ·
Not exactly close to Camas...

Hiking from the Dosewallips road washout into the Dose Meadow area would easily keep you hiking for days. This area allows camping in various locations such as the now only accessible by foot Dosewallips Campground about 5 miles from the washout. Dose Meadow is about 12 miles in from there along the Dosewallips river the entire way. Access from Dose Meadow to Hayden Pass, Cameron Pass, Lost Pass and Grey Wolf junction pass would afford many elevation gaining opportuntities that will test your legs and lungs. I've stayed in Dose Meadows for days on end before and only seen those with me and one other random traveller. The opportunity to see the Olympic Marmots and occasional bear in a great location is always there. You'll gain elevation the entire way out to the meadow and lose it all the way back. Since the roadway washout several years ago the usage here has declined drastically according to rangers I've run into.

Also on the Olympics if you are not looking for access to passes but more along rivers in valleys, there is a hike North South through the entire Olympic National Park that likely exceeds your time limits, but allows for some fantastic all lower valley travel. I believe it is offically called the Enchanted Valley. Generally this one must be done with two vehilces as the distance is somewhere in the vicinity of 50 miles. Best done with no pressing time table. This one tracks the North Fork of the Quinnult and meets the Elwah. The snow likley will also be a factor in the area area of the Low Divide at this time of the year. Contacting the local ranger stations would be wise.

Third, and one not to miss while in the area is the Hoh River. Hiking from the Hoh Rainforest park entrance all the way to the Mount Olympus Glacier is possible, covers about 17 or so miles and is not as heavily used as other more easily accessed points. The first ten miles or so are rolling with minimal elevation gain. Then you begin to rise over the next several miles. The snow level will greet you somewhere around the high bridge or Elk Lake at this time of the year, so depending on how much gear you are taking the snow levels must be studied to make your packing appropriate.

I have done each of these before children and before fly fishing for trout. Now that they are 5 and 3 I'm hoping to be back out in these fantastic areas again soon with my girls, and this time I'll have a fly rod in my pack for sure.

Enjoy.

#6 ·
I agree with Dustin on both of his listed above also. Neither provide the fishing, but you have to hike them at least once. Seven Lakes basin is not comfortably hikable for some time though, I'm sure that snowshoeing is not your intent...or is it? Althogh I've not fished the lakes I have been told by one ranger that one or two of them do have fish that are eager to rise to your offering. That would be a great summer to fall trip.

When you do the beach hike two suggestions that are not to be overlooked. Use the bluff ladders where they are installed, you won't beat the incoming tides around. The signs about rogue waves and beach logs/debris being capable of killing you if you are in the way and not paying attention, heed the warning.

Two fantastically beautiful places that are on the long list of why I never want to leave.

#7 ·
Josh...welcome to the NW and to the site. As mentioned above, the Olys have some spectacular hiking and fishing, but they don't meet your 1 hour distance criteria. They are more like 4 hours from Camas. If you do make it up to the Olys, I would suggest hitting the upper Elwah before the damn comes out and it gets closed indefinitely. From within an hour of you, try the Gorge. Eagle and Herman Creeks both have trout. They are all native with about a 5-7 inch average. Eagle Creek is like nothing you've seen in Michigan. The water falls and scenery are really special. The Lewis River and Siouxon Creek trails are fairly close to you, but expect to share them with mountain bikers. If you are going to stay within an hour of the PDX metro area, don't expect to get much solitude. The Goat Rocks Wilderness is about 2.5 hours north of you and is pretty spectacular. I haven't fished there yet but there are opportunities to do so.

#10 ·
I thiink your best bet to be that close to home would be to go east to Carson and up the Wind river and see what streams are around. The real reason to go there is Indian Heaven wilderness ane the road that goes all the way around it. There are canp grounds along this read and theres also lots of huckle berry picking in season. That's why the indians used to go there. In the wilderness there are quite a few lakes to fish. Try the other rivers along the gorge and maybe up the Hood river on the Oregon side. Good luck

#11 ·
I second the Wind River. Been a long time and I'm sure it's different, but the SE slopes of Mt.St. Helens are wild ass country. Re: Eagle Creek in Oregon.; Hike up at least 3 miles to High Bridge, then start looking for a way down (it helps to cary about 100' of nice rope). There are some nice trout in there if you get off the trail. Beautiful scenery, you've not seen the like in MI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.