Fiberglass Build Play-by-Play

Ethan G.

I do science.. on fish..
I'm building a Steffen S-Glass 8'6" 5/6wt. for someone here on the site and I thought I'd do a step-by-step of the whole process.:thumb:

OK, here's the starting materials:
-Steffen Brothers Custom Fly Rod Blank
-BUL5 reel seat with a custom turned cocobolo insert
-Custom turned fighting butt and full wells grip
-Hopkins and Holloway guides
-Chestnut Persall's Silk wrapping thread for main wraps
-Black Persall's Silk wrapping thread for accent wraps

Next update coming soon: Handle assembly...
-Ethan

Have you ever built one of the Steffen Brothers blanks before? I was told they are one of the nicer glass blanks out.

Looking forward to seeing the pick as you go. Should be a sweet rod when its done.

Ethan G.

I do science.. on fish..
Have you ever built one of the Steffen Brothers blanks before? I was told they are one of the nicer glass blanks out.

Looking forward to seeing the pick as you go. Should be a sweet rod when its done.
I haven't built on one previous to this, but I had always wanted to. It's an excellent quality blank. Superb finish on it and the action feels really nice from the initial wiggle.

OK, update number 2: the handle setup.

Next up: unfinished guide wraps

-Ethan

I haven't fished with the glass rods much but I like building and test casting them. I'll have to give one of the Steffen blanks a try. I just started a lamiglas glass FL843 the other day. I start a post with some pics when I get it done.

Ethan,
I know the individual very well who you are making this rod for. He is almost like family to me :rofl: It is looking great! I can not wait to see it complete.

William Wallace

Good looking build so far. I have that steffen in a 3pc version and it is a great fishing rod. very smooth casting and light in the hand. I like a triangle taper 5wt on it. will be waiting to see the finished product.

Russell

Ethan G.

I do science.. on fish..
The finished product: unfortunately the pictures suck. I couldn't get my camera to cooperate. Then again it's difficult to get close up shots with an auto-focus camera. Anyways, here's how it looks:

Overview of the rod

Old-timey folding hook keeper

Stripping guide

Ferrule wraps and snake wraps

A bad shot of the tip top

-Ethan

It sure turned out nice Ethan.

If you do another glass build I have some of the old slip ring hook keepers like on the old bamboo rods and your more then welcome to have a few of them.

Ethan,
Great job. It looks beautiful!!! That individual will be very happy to fish it. If he doesn't I will pick it up from him. I would be proud to fish it.

BRAVEHEART

Got the rod on Sunday. What a job Ethan did. For a fiberglass blank I was surprised on how light the rod is. I have been so busy I haven't got to cast it yet but I'm going to tried Friday.
I like the rod so much I might have to get another one down the road.
I can't say enought about Ethan, and the work on the rod.
Thanks so much!!!!!!
John

P.S. I will let everone know how it casts and fishies when I get out.

Latest posts