Favorite Beach cannon

Ethan G.

I do science.. on fish..
9' 6wt. TFO TiCr-X with an Airflo 40+. That setup is pretty amazing for the beach. I wish it was slightly longer, though.
-Ethan

Richard E

9' 6wt classic GLX, can't beat the matte black. Outbound short, if you can haul, get an outbound.
Ibn speaks big medicine; a fast action rod that casts easily and not broomstick stiff. My GLX will be 12 years old this year, bent snake guies and all it will still toss a line like a frozen rope. Heck, a 9' 6 wt that weighs 2.9 ounces? Way ahead of its time, and still leading edge in many ways. I have a GLX in an 8 weight, 9', 4 piece configuration, which model many experienced fly fishers consider the quintessential bonefish stick.

TFO 12'6" 6wt with airflo 450 grn skagit head, overhead casts 130+ everytime. Too much for cutties, great for silvers/chumlies + I'll find out with pinks this yr...

Dave

PS thanks to Matt Burke (formerly Mattzoid?) and Leland M for getting me thinking about this style of beach fishing

Chester Allen

Fishing addict and scribbler
Robert August 10-foot "Predator" with a step deck and single fin. Whoops! We're talking about fly rods here. But that surfboard booms right along....

9-foot, 6-weight Sage VPS with a sinking shooting head. I know this isn't the heavy guns that some others throw, but it casts far enough for me.

Bob Balder

Willing to learn anything...
Sage 696 RPL, overlined with a 7 wt, weight forward and a 10' hand tied leader wil put a popper out there pretty well, at least it does for me and I am no great shakes on the long distance cast. This set-up is verstile enough to fish the surface with leland's popper or fish clousers and such sub-surface. I don't like dragging extra spools and crap around the beach all morning and this rig works for me.
A rezzi on a 6 wt. with back bone is a serious hoot.
I like it! :beer2:

ralfish

Since they came out: 796 XP and 896 SP. Currently farting around with Amundson 5100 and 7100. The 5100 is really a 7 weight though as it handles a 275 grain Outbound real nice. As in the whole line to the backing knot.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Robert August 10-foot "Predator" with a step deck and single fin. Whoops! We're talking about fly rods here. But that surfboard booms right along....
That ain't no "cannon," Chester. In surf jargon, that 10' floating pier would be classified as an "Aircraft Carrier." OK, I'll give you "loose cannon" if your leash snaps, or if the weight of that battleship yanks your leg off during a wipeout.:rofl:

Latest posts