WTB 9' 7/8 Just getting into Salmon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Bought a new Sage for trout, but have never owned a salmon rod and I am new to the area. Can't yet justify spending the big bucks for another rod set up this year. To the wife of course. Looking for something good, but reasonably priced. Let me know what you have......

Thanks

martyg

Hey guys,

Bought a new Sage for trout, but have never owned a salmon rod and I am new to the area. Can't yet justify spending the big bucks for another rod set up this year. To the wife of course. Looking for something good, but reasonably priced. Let me know what you have......

Thanks
Hey Joshuan -

IMO you would be over rodded with a 7 / 8 for all but a few occasions. I use a 6 wt with a lot of backbone (Scott X2s) and have never felt under rodded. I have landed Kings into 25 pounds and Taimen (different continent) up to 1 meter + on that rod and probably fish the Sound 50 days per year.

a 6wt is way undergunned! i can understanding using a 6wt for summer steel and pinks, but for winter fish and other salmon species i wouldnt go for anything other than an 8. the rod you have must be on steroides or something! :)

arthur

I do have a NWX rod that is a 9' 8weight rod. It is a med. action. It is alittle soft but would be fun for salmon. I would take 75.00 for the rod and a pflueger medalist reel 1595 1/2 rc and a extra spool, plus shipping. I do live in Bellevue, Wa if we could meet.
Thanks John

colton rogers

wishin' i was fishin'
Hey Joshuan -

IMO you would be over rodded with a 7 / 8 for all but a few occasions. I use a 6 wt with a lot of backbone (Scott X2s) and have never felt under rodded. I have landed Kings into 25 pounds and Taimen (different continent) up to 1 meter + on that rod and probably fish the Sound 50 days per year.
if you cant explain well enough to your wife why you NEED another rod. scott rods are probably not your best choice to try and perused her into letting you get. especially right after a sage :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts