gun tax

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
Senate Bill SB-2099 will require us to put on
> our 2009 1040 federal tax form all guns that you have or own. It may
> require fingerprints and a tax of $50 per gun.
> | This bill was introduced on Feb.. 24. This
> bill will become public knowledge 30 days
> after it is voted into law. This is an amendment to the
> Internal Revenue Act of 1986. This means that the Finance Committee can pass this without the Senate voting on
> it at all.
> The full text of the proposed amendment is on
> the U.S. Senate homepage,http://www.senate.gov/ You can find the bill by doing a search by
> the bill number, SB-2099.
> You know who to call; I strongly suggest you
> do. Please send a copy of this e-mail to every gun owner you
> know.|
>
> <http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h45/text|
>
> Congress is now starting on the firearms
> confiscation bill. If it passes, gun owners will become
> criminals if you don't fully comply.
>
> It has started.
>
> Very Important for you to be aware of a
> new bill HR 45 introduced into the House. This is the Blair
> Holt Firearm Licensing &
> Record of Sale Act of 2009.
>
> Even gun shop owners didn't know
> about this because the government is trying to fly it
> under the radar.
>
> To find out about this - go to any
> government website and type in HR 45 or Google HR 45 Blair Holt
> Firearm Licensing & Record of Sales Act of 2009.
> You will get all the information.
>
> Basically this would make it illegal to
> own a firearm - any rifle with a clip or ANY pistol unless:
>
> It is registered -You are fingerprinted -You supply a
> current Driver's License -You supply yourSocial
> Security # -You will submit to a physical & mental
> evaluation at any time of their choosing -Each update
> - change or ownership through private or public sale
> must be reported and costs $25 - Failure to do so you
> automatically lose the right to own a firearm and are
> subject up to a year in jail. -There is a child provision
> clause on page 16 section 305 stating a child-access
> provision. Gun must be locked and inaccessible to any child
> under 18. -They would have the right to come and inspect
> that you are
> storing your gun safely away from accessibility to
> children and fine is punishable for up to 5 yrs. in
> prison.
>
> If you think this is a joke - go to the
> website and take your pick of many options to read this. It
> is long and lengthy. But, more and more people are
> becoming aware of this. Pass the word along. Any
> hunters in your family pass this along.
>
> This is just a "termite"
> approach to complete confiscation of guns and disarming of
> our society to the point we have no defense - chip
> away a little here and there until the goal is
> accomplished before anyone realizes it.
>
> This is one to act on whether you own a
> gun or not.
>
> <http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.45:
>
> <http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h45/show
>
> <http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-45
>
> Please, copy and send this out to
> EVERYONE in the USA , whether you support
> the Right to Bear Arms or are for gun control. We
> all should have the right to choose.
>
>
> WTF over
>
>

Barry

The chain e-mail source for this is entirely bogus. Such a bill does not exist. You can save yourself a lot of headaches when receiving a subject line beginning with FW..., if you'll just check it out at factcheck.org, snopes.com, or TruthOrFiction.com. A sure clue is oh-ain't-it-awful text that says something like: EVERY AMERICAN MUST KNOW THIS, or, THE (liberal / conservative) PRESS WILL NEVER TELL US THIS, etc, etc. .

Dan Cuomo

Thanks for the heads up, Gary, and thanks for the links.

Here's what a few of our founding fathers had to say about guns and our right to own them.

Mr. Jefferson - "Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Thomas Paine - "Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

George Washington - "Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

We MUST keep an eye on the sort of insanity that this legislation proposes.

WTF is right, Dan

koolminx

With Rifling not being commonplace in long gun's until the 1800's, I think old George would have said Muskets and Pistols rather than Rifles, but the saying is understood nonetheless...

Just old school wording modernized I reckon...

speyfisher

I checked this out with the NRA, figuring they, if anyone, would have the latest scoop on this. Their replay follows.

Thank you for your inquiry regarding H.R. 45/S.B. 2099.

Over the past few months, NRA-ILA has received hundreds of e-mails warning us about "SB-2099," a bill that would supposedly require you to report all your guns on your income tax return every April 15.

Like many rumors, there's just a grain of truth to this one. Someone's recycling an old alert, which wasn't even very accurate when it was new.

There actually was a U.S. Senate bill with that number that would have taxed handguns -- nine years ago. Introduced by anti-gun Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), the bill would have included handguns under the National Firearms Act's tax and registration scheme. This has nothing to do with anyone's Form 1040, of course. And, fortunately, S. 2099 disappeared without any action by the Senate, back when Bill Clinton was still in the White House. We reported about it back then, just as we report about new anti-gun bills every week. Now, it's time for gun owners to drop this old distraction and focus on the real threats at hand.

To be clear, there is no such bill in the current Congress, and the emails about SB 2099 being sent around are false and unnecessary distractions from real threats.

To read a story by NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox on this and other rumors, please click here: http://www.nraila.org/Issues/Articles/Read.aspx?id=367&issue=047.

As for H.R. 45, in early January of this year, U.S. Representative Bobby Rush (D-Ill.) introduced H.R. 45, also known as "Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act." The bill is, at its core and as its name implies, a licensing and registration scheme.

The measure calls for all handgun owners to submit to the federal government an application that shall include, among many other things: a photo; an address; a thumbprint; a completed, written firearm safety test; private mental health records; and a fee. And those are only some of the requirements to be licensed!

The bill would further require the attorney general to establish a database of every handgun sale, transfer, and owner's address in America. Moreover, the bill would make it illegal to own or possess a "qualifying firearm" -- defined as "any handgun; or any semiautomatic firearm that can accept any detachable ammunition feeding device..." [emphasis added] without one of the proposed licenses.

Additionally, the bill would make it illegal to transfer ownership of a "qualifying firearm" to anyone who is not a licensed gun dealer or collector (with very few exceptions), and would require "qualifying firearm" owners to report all transfers to the attorney general's database. It would also be illegal for a licensed gun owner to fail to record a gun loss or theft within 72 hours, or fail to report a change of address within 60 days. Further, if a minor obtains a firearm and injures someone with it, the owner of the firearm may face a multiple-year jail sentence.

H.R. 45 is essentially a reintroduction of H.R. 2666, which Rush introduced in 2007. H.R. 2666 contained much of the same language as H.R. 45, and was co-sponsored by several well-known anti-gun legislators--including Barack Obama's chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel.

H.R. 45 currently has no co-sponsors. It is in a committee and is not up for a vote. However, this is an important bill because every element it contains--from regulation of all detachable-magazine semi-autos, to licensing and the elimination of private sales--is part of the agenda of major anti-gun groups.

Thank you again for contacting our office. Please rest assured that NRA-ILA will continue to monitor these bills closely, and will keep you informed, via our website (www.nraila.org) and magazines, of any developments if they materialize.

Cordially,
Kaelan Jones
NRA-ILA Grassroots Division

So there you have it. Personally, I feel that anyone who authors, sponsors, supports, or votes for any bill that is later stuck down as being unconstitutional, should be kicked out of office, denied all retirement benifits, stripped of their citizenship, and therefor forever banned from holding public office!

I would add tarred & feathered and run out of town on a rail. But we are supposed to be more civilized in this day and age.

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
Thanks guys, I got this at the end of my working day and didn't take the time to see if it was the real deal or not.
I've been a voter for 41 years and I find it hard to trust our elected officials.

Dan Cuomo

Thanks to Spey, and thanks to Gary remain for his vigilance and the his reasonable belief that such idiocy might come out of DC. Thank God this one appears to be a false alarm.

Dan

KerryS

Ignored Member
So there you have it. Personally, I feel that anyone who authors, sponsors, supports, or votes for any bill that is later stuck down as being unconstitutional, should be kicked out of office, denied all retirement benifits, stripped of their citizenship, and therefor forever banned from holding public office!

I would add tarred & feathered and run out of town on a rail. But we are supposed to be more civilized in this day and age.

I say leave them in office but go ahead and do the tar and feathering so that all the others idiots in office understand what will happen if they continue to submit dumb ass bills.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts