Searun cutthroat

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Inspired by rainbow's request, as well as Doug Rose's recently posted essay on "Equinox Cutthroat" (can be found on his website at dougroseflyfishing.com), and after thinkin' 'bout all this yesterday morning, I just had to go see if I could scare up some searuns. Work always seems to be there if and when I show up to do it, but now is the better time to fish for cutthroat!

I had some decent luck in the afternoon sneakin' a coastal creek with a #8 hot-orange Reversed Spider, tied with a natural Mallard flank hackle and hot-orange calf-tail tail. I was fishing it on a floating line and 10' leader with my 9' 4 wt Jim Teeny TFO (love that rod!!!!), and the strikes would often come just as soon as the fly hit the water. Surface takes! WooHoo! After a lot of hard work gettin' there, I had lucked into a black pool of frogwater that held a pod of frisky searuns. Eureka! For a brief spell, I was the richest man in the world!:D More details? OK, I saw them splashin' and jumpin' in the pool, and cast to them. Biggest was pushin' 15". That's all ya get! HA HA HA!:p
An October Caddis or orange stimi, or similar dry pattern might have worked just as well, but I never once thought of changing patterns. Don't mess with what's workin'!!!!

MJGROTA

When the river is full of Pinks is it best to wait to chase SRC's. If not what approach is best for getting SRC over the pinks.

flyzen5

I have been fishing the cutts in the rivers in north puget sound for 18 years and i use the Ferguson minnow 80% of the time, it is a great fly. It is an old pattern I got from a book. I will try and give a picture of it.

MJGROTA

anyone doing any thing on the stilly with SRC's Thinking of going there this weekend. Hopefully the pinks are mostly done.

Smalma

With last night's rain the "Stilly" will be out for cutthroat. If the long range weather forecast is correct it MAY be cutthroat fishable by next weekend. History has shown that the next significant rain will likely end the cutthroat fishing for the year. As a long time Stillaguamish cutthroat fisher I consider any days in October to be a bonus.

Tight lines
Curt

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I fished a tidal creek two days ago, and it was filthy with fresh searuns. splashing all over the place. Took some work to get back into the spot where I found some stacked in a pool, but I'm glad I hiked that extra 1/4 mile. I found a few more cutties in a stretch of water much lower down in the creek on my way out. All told, I managed to C&R about 15 of 'em, about 2/3 of those on Reversed Spiders, some on a Borden Special, and a couple on a sparkly caddis pupae softhackle I had concocted. About three of those fish were chunky in the 14" to 15" range. Some were so chrome that they didn't even have a hint of orange showing where their slash marks will be. One chrome little 12"er had a small yellow spot on one side of its lower jaw and no orange showing.
Several showed the characteristic orange throat slash and had a little more color, though. All of 'em were beauties!

That 9' Jim Teeny TFO 4wt is proving to be an excellent cutthroat stick. Love the action!

The last two weeks have been pretty good cutthroat fishing in a couple of places. I'll go as far as to say that one would have a good chance of finding good fishing for the little critters on most coastal streams right now, if you know where to look for 'em. (Duh)

Dale Dennis

Formally Double-D
Smalma,
I’ll have to agree October fishing for Coastal Cutts in the Stilly has been hit and miss over the last several years do to poor river conditions. In the distant passed I can remember having decent cutt fishing well into November.
The last time I was out on the Stilly there were good numbers of searun but as usual with so many pinks the cutts were bunched up. When you found the right holding lie there could be as many as a dozen held up at a time. Having floated several miles of river I only found three locations that I could say were productive in this way and few in between.

In the following photo is a submerged boulder just off the bank below the root ball, this produced at least 10 from 9” to 17”.

Smalma

Double D -
That boulder has provide me with a fish or two over the years; LOL!

It seems to me that during big pink years the cutts are always bunched up with the occasssional hot spot and just the odd fish here and there in between. I was on the lower end of another "S" river this morning bank fishing and the cutts were bunched there as well - I would fish as much as an hour without a hit and then stumble on a nice pod of fish. In the end had a good morning with even a bonus coho.

I do agree that there seems to be good numbers of cutts in the Stillaguamish this year though as in past years not many larger fish.

With the exception of 2001 the latest that I have had good cuttrhoat fishing on the "S" rivers was the day after Thanksgiving. I can also remember a year where we were washed out before Labor Day and the rivers never did get back into shape. In the end it seems that most years the weather gods do in my cutthroat fishing the last week of September or early October. Just looked at the 10 day weather forecast and if we can believe it we may be able to squeeze at least another week of opportunities. Those October days are special as that seems to be the period that I and the cutthroat most consistently find the BWO on the water.

Tight lines
Curt

Dehlan G

Kinda off subject from the S rivers but how is the Cowlitz fishing for hatchery srcs? I'm planning on heading over there next week but I donno what to expect. Access points (no boat), flies, etc? Thanks in advance

MJGROTA

Anyone hit the Stilly this weekend? Am thinking of going up Monday AM for SRC. Would appreciate any recent reports on river, fish or beautiful people!:thumb:

Zak

I have been fishing the cutts in the rivers in north puget sound for 18 years and i use the Ferguson minnow 80% of the time, it is a great fly. It is an old pattern I got from a book. I will try and give a picture of it.
I'd love to see a picture of it!

Latest posts