Searun cutthroat

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
I usually use one of these three simple flies on the beach.
I won a few of these along with some in different colors at a club raffle. It's highly effective on the beach. No name included with the flies so I'm just calling it an Orange Golden Pheasant Reverse Spider. It has a very seductive-looking action when stripped and always just seems to catch fish.
20150509_0005.JPG
20150509_0004.JPG
Another favorite I had been using prior to to the Reverse Spider, and still use is a shorter variation of the James Peach from a photo in Les Johnson's book (pg 94). It has a combed out Dazzleaire yarn wing and a few strands of Crystal Flash.
20150125_0012.JPG
My third is a Rolled Muddler. I've actually caught some big Pacific Staghorn Sculpins on these too. They must be cannibalistic. 20150125_0013.JPG
In freshwater I like to fish for CC - SRC with a Tenkara rod and a simple Takayama Sakasa kebari, fished dry until they're waterlogged then wet, on a tight vertical line presentation. These first two variations have fooled over 100 and 50 fish respectively in the last year and a half.
20180805_104337.jpg
20190727_120715.jpg
18 months ago this weighted version brought me the one of largest Cutts (heck - "trout", period) I've ever caught in a Western WA stream in 40 years of fly fishing. It also "hooked me" on Tenkara for streams.
20180522_162225.jpg

Zak

Thanks so much for sharing these, Brian!

I usually use one of these three simple flies on the beach.
I won a few of these along with some in different colors at a club raffle. It's highly effective on the beach. No name included with the flies so I'm just calling it an Orange Golden Pheasant Reverse Spider. It has a very seductive-looking action when stripped and always just seems to catch fish.
View attachment 216809
View attachment 216810
Another favorite I had been using prior to to the Reverse Spider, and still use is a shorter variation of the James Peach from a photo in Les Johnson's book (pg 94). It has a combed out Dazzleaire yarn wing and a few strands of Crystal Flash.
View attachment 216812
My third is a Rolled Muddler. I've actually caught some big Pacific Staghorn Sculpins on these too. They must be cannibalistic. View attachment 216811
In freshwater I like to fish for CC - SRC with a Tenkara rod and a simple Takayama Sakasa kebari, fished dry until they're waterlogged then wet, on a tight vertical line presentation. These first two variations have fooled over 100 and 50 fish respectively in the last year and a half.
View attachment 216818
View attachment 216822
18 months ago this weighted version brought me the one of largest Cutts (heck - "trout", period) I've ever caught in a Western WA stream in 40 years of fly fishing. It also "hooked me" on Tenkara for streams.
View attachment 216815

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
D'oh! Well, I hope flyzen is still out there and catching fish!

Zak,
You had asked one of the poster in this thread for a picture of a pattern he mentioned called the "Ferguson Minnow". I'm not familiar with that pattern.
He may have been referring to Bruce Ferguson's "Green & Silver" fly pattern, which is a great pattern for both searun cutts and coho.
SF