Centerpin rod/reel fly fishing.

Fred,
If you need help I can get you casting in less then 30 min. It will take afew hours to a day to learn and cast most of the cast but I can get you started and show you the casts so you can practice. If you are ever near Puget Sound Fly shop I can meet you their and we can cast in the alley. Anil and I will be holding a CP class after the first of the year.
Good luck
Jake Zirkle
Yea, I need help too. I can't cast worth a hell, but it is fun

Spey pinning is da BomB

Why did you move the reel forward? the rod you are using is designed for a centerpin with reel back further than the levelwind position. Reason for this is so that you can keep the reel rubbing on your baby finger ( brake control) while casting and fighting fish.

Andrewl and others, that video is rediculous. Try this one, it is basicly what I was explaining. I have never is 30 years of using centerpins seen anyone cast like that guy on the video Andrew posted., Too funny.
Wow! This thread could get interesting! I suppose that there are a number of ways in which one might cast using a center pin. I suppose that it's never too late for old dogs to learn new tricks.

Why did you move the reel forward? the rod you are using is designed for a centerpin with reel back further than the levelwind position. Reason for this is so that you can keep the reel rubbing on your baby finger ( brake control) while casting and fighting fish.
Uh, Actually it is a CND 13' spey rod. If you put the reel where you say, it is unbalanced as hell, and you cannot use your forearm for leverage, and your wrist would get beat up.

I run Loomis rods or raven with sliding rings and run my reels as far forward as I can. The reel towards the butt is old school. With it way forwad you get more rod control, with casting and while fighting fish. I also stick the butt near my gut or hip on long rods to relax my arm. Really good leverage with your forearm while fighting fish.
Tallflyguy if you come up this way pm me and I can meet up and bring some rods for you to cast.
Jake

Rooselk

Flyfisher Wannabe
Count me as another who decided to make a commitment to centerpinning. The Islander reel is already ordered and I'll be placing an order for a 13' Loomis (model STR1563GLX) centerpin rod in January. By the way, I found the new "Center-pin Secrets" DVD by Frank Amato Publications to be useful.

"Wow! This thread could get interesting! I suppose that there are a number of ways in which one might cast using a center pin. I suppose that it's never too late for old dogs to learn new tricks.

Exactly! And I've 'killed' close to an hour watching all the video; gad there are a lot of them if you want to take the time.
fae

I run Loomis rods or raven with sliding rings and run my reels as far forward as I can. The reel towards the butt is old school. With it way forwad you get more rod control, with casting and while fighting fish. I also stick the butt near my gut or hip on long rods to relax my arm. Really good leverage with your forearm while fighting fish.
Tallflyguy if you come up this way pm me and I can meet up and bring some rods for you to cast.
Jake
Jake is this open to other members from the board? I wouldn't mind meeting up at PSFC to learn how to cast a pin rod.