Essential items for O.P. trip

Alright - this is just a thought so don't crucify me here but something that I would find VERY useful is an essential gear list for this trip. Not the tent, sleeping bag (beer) obvious type of list but more specific and essential items that this trip would require. The reason I ask this is because I have neither been to the OP (especially in November) nor have I fished extensively for steelhead. :dunno Help would be appreciated from some of you OP/Stellie veterans. Some questions off the top of my head: Essential flies, equipment (types of line, tippet, etc.). Float tube?

Thanks in advance. :thumb

-Flies made with maribou and rabbit strips are pretty effective.
-You might want to read a little Roderick Haig-Brown to get you excited.
-A sink tip is also a good idea. Maybe type 3 or 4 will be the best.
-A 7 or 8 weight usually does fine.
-You could consider bringing something to barter the fly of the day with some of these other guys. Giving flies away is pretty fun if you are catching fish on them. If you are low on the fly of the day, well man these times are tough and there is nothing you can do about it.
-Unless your floating device is good for more than one person, don't bring it. There are old growth logs floating down the Hoh right now and you don't want to get stuck in front of one. Trust me.
-Memorize Trey Combs's book "Steelhead" and Kelson's book "The Salmon Fly"
-Bring a big tarp.

-TM

Porter

forgot one...same link.... it is at bottom of article. You can link on to pictures of flies and maps of river. I for some reason can not submit a direct link.

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
Thanks for the info Troutman! That link about the Hoh is very informative.

Another question, should I bring my pontoon boat and are any others planning on bringing one? I definitely wouldn't float alone but wonder if it would be safe to do some of the rivers in the area in the 8 ft Creek Company boat. I probably wouldn't want to do more than an easy class III in it, but that might even be a stretch. I assume that with all of the rain we've been getting the potentential for log jams and other pitfalls would be high.

Thanks!
Flybill

Bart

Flybill,

I'm bringing mine (8' Outcast). World has promised that the rain will stop in time for the rivers to be in shape, clear of debris and full of willing fish.

The worst thing that could happen is it stays tied to the top of the 4-Runner. I'm not about to bite off to much River.

Bart

I'll be bringing my pac 800, so a mini-flotilla might be in order. I have never fished this river, so would love a few people to float with. Is anyone bringing driftboats or rafts over?

crump

Unless you folks know what you are doing and are skilled on the sticks, make sure you take out ABOVE the canyon (Oxbow is at the bottom of the canyon).

It is not a difficult piece of water to row but the entrance to the canyon and the stretch of water above the takeout (reffered to as the 'Oxbow') can be very difficult in certain water conditions or if you are clueless on the oars.

Many boats have been lost there. Consider yourselves warned! :professor

Swinger,

Thanks for the warning. Right after I posted, the thought that we should ask for advice from those that know the rivers there came. The idea of a flotilla sounds great, but we would appreciate yours or anyone's thoughts about a safe,fun and productive run.

Bart

>The idea of a flotilla
>sounds great, but we would appreciate yours or anyone's
>thoughts about a safe,fun and productive run.
>
>Bart

The Hoh changes after every high water and with major high waters the entire river will change course and thus your first time down the river after each high water may lend something new.

A float that may have been a piece of cake just a few days prior may now be impassable because of a downed tree, sweeper, change of course etc. etc. etc.

I'll be bringing my new Water Master out there to get a few practice runs in before the expedition, so I'll likely join the flotilla. One of the members of the expedition, just back from Alaska, will be joining the party and he knows the Hoh very well, although he hasn't floated it this year. After 26,000 cfs of water going through it, it is going to be a lot different... Considering the rain stops, we should have the first runs of winter steelhead moving into the rivers, and that means some HUGE bucks (read twenty pounders) will be around in small numbers, plus the first runs on the other rivers. If you have a boat and you feel comfortable with it, bring it, the worst that can happen is you don't use it! Don't worry if you don't have a boat, however, the OP has plenty of wading access, especially the Hoh.

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/
http://www.patagonia-expedition.org/

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

- Henry David Thoreau

Latest posts