Pass Lake report & Question

Thursday, April 6,A fishing partner and I fished Pass Lake from 8:30 a.m. til about 1:00 pm. Net result, one hit on a smaller green leech. I tried two different size and patterned leech and two different size/pattern chronomids. We observed about seven other rigs on the water. Didn't see anyone with any fish on. When we stopped for lunch decided to try lone lake the next day. When asked how we did it was suggested the lake was "turning over," and to expect the same at Lone.
Can anyone confirm Pass Lake turning over at that time?:hmmm:Duane

Hi Duane - What you saw on 4/6 was the early part of the baetis hatch. In short that was a monster hatch that went for the entire month of April...it was a week or so in by then (see related thread from 4/22). If you left by mid day you likely just missed all the action, or you may not have noticed it. Most days only a few guys were on it...majority out there had no idea. Anyhow, the place would go nuts on dry flies for maybe 2 hrs at mid day. Rest of the day was dead so if you didn't specifically work the hatch there wasn't much to be had...any food source that prolific will have the fish holding out till the buffet starts, and since the feed was that big all the larger fish (browns too) were involved and could be taken on small emergers etc. It was the stuff people travel and pay guides good money for, and it doesn't happen every year like that at Pass. But yeah, check out the other thread...pretty good info on it.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
I thought the rule was that if you could get two thirds of the latin in there it was close enough...

JE

Baetis (not Calibaetis) do occupy lakes, I have experienced some epic hatches esp. at night on certain desert lakes.

Taxon

Staff member
Baetis (not Calibaetis) do occupy lakes, I have experienced some epic hatches esp. at night on certain desert lakes.
JE,

Hexagenia, Siphlonurus, Leptophlebia, Ephemera, Caenis, and Tricorychodes mayflies can occasionally be found WA stillwaters, but the vast majority of stillwater mayflies are Callibaetis. Baetis and most other genera of mayflies require moving water, and do not inhabit lakes. What makes you believe otherwise?

steeli

I fished Pass a week ago and also found the fishing was pretty tough and signs of lake turnover.
All the usual tactics just didn't turn them out.
Fished morning to early afternoon and didn't see one mayfly but signs of daphnia.
Lots of daphnia cans sometimes just kill the bite on any water.
I had a couple LDR's but best action was the fat otter lunching on a fish.

Latest posts