Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

( NFR ) Just curious what everyone does for a living??

8K views 113 replies 97 participants last post by  riverdog 
#1 ·
If you need a senior partner, let me know...seriously, what do you like to do? Find a job doing just that...I've spent 30 some years chasing a paycheck. I think I would have rather done something creative instead.

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

#54 ·
Well, I work in small manufacturing division. I have seen 8 pay cuts over the last 3 years, don't necessarily like what I do, But I am still following my dream.
I have my two associate degrees, a BA, and my MPA. Hopefully by the time this post disappears from the board, my dream company will have offered me a job(its actually close)
Even though my present career path is not in my long term plans, I really can't/shouldn't complain. It has brought me back to where I grew up, it puts food on the table for the family, and it gives me just enough extra to buy a few flys for fishing. I will never be rich, but when I walk in the door and see my family, I am wealthy beyond belief.

topflight121

#55 ·
I personally am at one of those forks in life where I am contemplating a career change. I am getting a bit tired of sitting behind the computer, and working on them, every day. I have been in the computer industry for nearly 10 years and am getting a bit spent. Im thinking about going back to school for another BA or possibly my masters. At the same time, I am contemplating a different field or even starting my own business???? What does everyone else do for employment and would you recommend it, pros cons, etc...??

~Patrick ><>

#56 ·
I drifted around awhile after graduting with BA's in Political Science and Criminal Justice. Decided that I never wanted to use either of those degrees so I went back and got a teaching degree. I have been an elementary school teacher for 4 years now. I can't imagine doing anything else.

#57 ·
Deleted message

Well, MB is a self employed manufacturers' representative. Started back in 1976 when I joined my father (since passed away). Sell some small stuff, motor brakes and some big - like gates and hoists for the hydro plants around the northwest - Rocky Reach, Ice Harbor dams, that sort of stuff. The Ice Harbor stuff was kind of interesting since is was for the emergency fish by-pass pumping system - some BIG pumps. Would rather fish full time but I still like the people, projects and work. I'll always have a job, but, perhaps, no money.

#58 ·
( NFR ) Just curious what everyone does for a livin...

I work for a large insurance company as a claims adjuster. I settle people's Bodily Injury (aka Personal Injury) claims and make liability decisions. If you're my insured, you think I'm great (because I clean up the mess you've created). If you're not, your opinions about me could go either way. The job is salary, so I work about 50-55 hours per week and get 2 weeks paid vacation. However, I have a flexible schedule and can fish any day I want to in my territory. My territory is from Walla Walla to Moses Lake to Republic and over to Winthrop and over to Snoqualmie Pass to Yakima and back to Walla Walla. So, I'm basically covering most of Eastern WA. I like to set early or late appointments so that I can fish during the day. I like my territory, the weather, and the depressed economy that allows me to buy more for my money. These things are fun for right now..

I'm pretty sure that I've picked a dead-end career path. My intent out of college in 1999 was to get into law school and practice Agricultural Law. I'm doing legal-related work, but not sure that Personal Injury law is my "calling." If I were to work in the insurance industry for the rest of my like, I'd have at least one divorce, like everyone else in my profession. Personal Injury is a lot of work, and a lot of negativity. Though the company offers good benefits, the monthly paycheck is enough to swallow my pride and wonder, what the hell am I doing here?

Prior to claims, I did a 2 year legal internship for an attorney in Seattle. He had a simple practice, a good wife, and a decent home in the middle of Queen Anne and after 20 years of working 6 days a week as a sole-practitioner, he now has a condo in Palm Springs that he visits each month and will retire to. He is no Perkins-Coie (huge west Coast law firm), nor did he want to be. He is an honest man, and he set an example of a fine attorney. Since that internship, I have first hand exposure to the day-to-day workings of Personal Injury law firms, and fully believe that these attorneys are too smart to be doing this kind of work. Everyday, I see Personal Injury attorneys who take really weak cases because they're in debt from the 100K loan from law school they're still paying off.

I have always had this dream of being a small to medium-sized town Mayor (like the evil one on Patrick Swayze's "Roadhouse")}(. However, in order to become a "fan favorite" to win an election, I have to be successful first. Nobody votes for "Joe Schmoe." That's a problem. Politician don't make jack shit for pay, and most live off of the income earned through their prior jobs. I need some direction and think about this often.

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

#59 ·
Ok, I'll throw my hat into the ring.

I am currently working for the primary cable company in Washington as a Director in the government affairs arena. Before that I worked as a Planner for a Indian tribe in Oregon.

I can honestly say that I enjoy what I do, it is something different everyday and since cable is "cool again" it is fun.

Terry D. :thumb

#60 ·
No way, Roper! Backyard could always create his own "special blend" by saving all the slop that comes off the taps. Actaully, I know of a couple of people who've admitted to me that making money off a bar is a no-brainer. The mark up on beer and wine is so huge that the hardest thing is to not f**k it up. Does that sound up Backyard's alley?

#61 ·
Greetings all,
I worked as a newspaper photographer for years. Now I'm an editor and renjoy it, but it can be a grind. My best job ever was working as a field archaeologist for the Forest Service. Hiking all day in the woods was great. Making peanuts was not. I've been considering working on a Masters in environmental science. Jumping out of a career and back into school with a family and a mortgage sounds sketchy though. We'll see.

-MontanaStone

#62 ·
I was an outdoor equipment rep for six years. I was able to work with the largest fishing equipment manufacturers in the market. I suppose to some it sounds like the dream job. The reality is, the job eliminated most of my fishing and turned into a 70 hour a week monster. I decided to go back into financing real estate and now have more time, income and job satisfaction. Good question guy's.

#68 ·
Well, I have two jobs. Main job is a UPS Driver. Awesome job, awesome benefits, but extremly hard on body. Best to stay off porches, they collapse and screw up your body. LOL. Actually, been doing it for 15 years. I had NO injuries until this one, and may be a career ender. So may be in same boat as you here shortly. Been nice being home and being a Daddy. But, will see if I can go back to driving, if not, will see if I can get another job inside UPS. If not, then retraining. But halfway to retirement, don't want to pull away now.
Second job, which is purely a side job, is professional fly tyer/fly tying supplies sales. Just something I do on the side. Being off hurt hasn't helped me at all. I usually do some huge restocks during the year. But, the $$$ I normally save off to the side to restock has had to be used to pay bills. So, has crimped me a bit. But normally love it. Especially the flytying aspect when customers come back for seconds, thirds, more and send pictures. Always gratifying.

#69 ·
A career change can be a great thing. It was for me

I worked in the snowboard industry for seven years and thought that I had found my lifes work. I worked in athlete management/marketing. I loved snowboarding and got paid to babysit adults inplaces like Whistler, Vail, Nagano, etc. This led to wanting to become a photographer travelling the world taking the pictures you see in the snowboard and Ski magazines. I did it for a while and had some photos that got published but the income was small and the expenses large. Out of the blue a corporate recruiter called me about a job at a local game publishing company. Three and a half years later I am still there as a Brand Manager. I am currently managing the development of a new game and love my job. The pay is good, the people are great, I have learned so much. I get enough free time to fly fish some and my wife can stay home with our son.

#70 ·

schmokin'reel!!!!

i think i have just about the best job a single guy could have. im a Hairstylist- :p i run my hands thru females hair allday. IM STRAIGHT also,just to clear that up with anybody. ive been doing hair for the last 8 years and have owned my own salon for the last 5 years in seattle. I love the friendships i have built and the connections you get from networking with other business owners, barters, perks, you name it. Pat- i get to fish just about anytime i want, and most of my clients are well aware of my sickness for fishing, so they work with me. the pay is good and the time is yours, it just depends on how much you wanna make. im in one of those jobs that "you only make what your hands can do" . i would really love to become a photographer for my next career. just one more thing- heres my fork in the road- sunvalley idaho is opening a brand new AVEDA concept salon and is looking to hire 3 full time hairstylist from seattle. they'll dump a mil.$ easily into that and im sure will be the fattest salon there , can make mad cash, once talked to a lady there and she said she would rather fly to BeverlyHills and get her hair done there, she'd get in quicker and cost less, haha . HMMMM.. everything i have built here means nothing there. no more owner, just new guy on the block ,that is tearing me apart :dunno :reallymad :) :) i can see it now- (receptionist)"Oh, im sorry Mrs.Smith, Jeffrey will be late for your appt., he's into a JT right now on the Lost river ,can we reschedule?;( do what ya like , the humpty dance, oh sorry. I really mean if you now what your worth and your not getting it, then you be the boss! laters bhudda

#71 ·
Depending on my mood of the moment, when I'm asked what I do, I either reply that I'm retired, or that I'm a swing trader.
Both are true, but "retired" is self-explanatory, while "swing trader" takes explaining, which I'm not always eager to do. Swing trading means that I buy and sell stocks for profits over a period of, usually, several days to several weeks, working on my home computer. I'm not a day-trader; who can fish when they're glued to a computer screen all day? And I'm not a long-term investor, who could do nothing about the market's swoon from March 2000 until recently except endure the pain and dream of retiring, someday. I spend a very few hours a week selecting stocks with the assistance of a proprietary screening program, checking the daily results, and selling when the short-term advance or retreat is over. I support myself on my month-by-month profits.
I don't make a lot, but then, I didn't have a lot of investment capital to start with. My house and vehicles are paid for. In the last two years, I've flung flies in Virginia, Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, B.C., and the wonderful waters around the Fourth Corner of Washington. I own two suits and about thirty fly rods. A man's got to have his priorities straight.

#72 ·

I was a musician for 15 years, working a day job (or two) around the music. About 7 years into that,I began driving truck. Which,if you take some sort of camera along,is kind of like being a professional tourist, when you go OTR. (over the road) I preferred log trucks. Way more fun!
After 15 years of driving I woke up to my new wife of 2 months asking me if I wanted to move to Washington. I ask, "what did I ever do to you?" As is turned out, she had mentioned to her warehouse manager that she would move to Burlington to his new building and continue her job for him of the last 9 years as his inventory auditor, if there was a full time job for her husband. He said yes.
I had hit the top of my food chain as a driver. 2 million miles without a ticket or an accident, I had a retirement job, top dollar & sleep in your own bed. I had concidered owning my own truck, but there is a certain peace when you can leave note for the mechanic at the end of the day & it's good to go tomorrow and, you got to sleep instead of work on it.
So we left So_Oregon and bought a house in Concrete.
I was promoted to hourly supervisor after 10 months, & will be with the company 4 years in June, 40 hr week pays the same as 60 hours trucking. W/ medical, dental, vision, paid vacation,( I'll have 3 weeks at 5 years.. The wife has 5 weeks at 15 years)401 contribution, profit & gain sharing. Bonus checks? Stocks!
I bought a sled for transportation on the Skagit. Don't fish out of it much, but it get's me between holding water.
:smokin Jeff

#73 ·

Patrick,

Sounds like you are at an interesting point in life. Not necessarily a comfortable time, because things are a bit uncertain, but an exciting time because you are considering other possibilities. I'm 52 years old and have been in that place three times in my life. The first was in my late 20's when I was in the Army, but teaching at Purdue in West Lafayette. The second time was in my early 40's, having just retired from the Army. The third time is now. In my 20's, I considered leaving the Army and going to grad school full-time at the Krannert School of Business to get my MBA. I liked Lafayette for other reasons; was considering opening an antique store. I was newly married. I just couldn't figure out how to make the transition at that time, so I stayed in the Army, got transferred to Fort Lewis in Tacoma, then to Germany--never looked back. When I retired, an old Army buddy and I thought about starting a company that would hold on-line auctions. It was the Ebay concept, but he lived in one state and I in another, and he was also interested in opening a brew pub that featured barbeque -- called it "Brew and Q". He later got part of that venture off the ground. I went to grad school and got my MBA and stayed in the HR field. In retrospect, my risk tolerance was quite low both times. I took a fairly safe route. Too early to say what will happen this time. Lessons learned from experience for your consideration:

-If you have a good idea, it probably is.
-If you have a good idea, someone else probably has the same idea. Your success may depend upon getting your concept to market first; or if you don't get there first, having a better marketing plan.
-Most ideas aren't truly original.
-It's better to try and not succeed than to not try at all.

This time around I have a mentor. I think that it may make a difference. This is someone that is in business for himself, but has a background in counseling. Great guy. He also happens to be my fishing partner. Try to find someone that's been down life's road a ways and is a good listener. Keep the options open for a while and limit the nonnegotiables. Taking a peek at "What Color Is Your Parachute" won't hurt. My copy is pretty well worn by now. This can be a very exciting time.

Dan

"There are none happy in the world but beings who enjoy freely a vast horizon."

#75 ·

I manage the seating and occasional table production at a furniture manufacturer in Woodinville. This involves CAD design, research and development, inventory control, quality control, human resources, babysitting, you name it. I speak Spanish most of the day as our work force of 60 plus is mostly Mexican. Hours can be long, pay is so-so, work environment is marginal. All things considered, it could be much worse.

Work to fish!
Happiness is a tight line.
aaron j

#76 ·
Great thread; wow, what a bunch of interesting career paths!
I started out in the skiing business in New Hampshire after graduating from college there. Great fishing, tough skiing (will really teach you how to do it right on both counts) but very difficult to make a living. Figured that the hospitaility side of the recreation business was a little more consistent, and after a little more college retraining, was recruited of the WSU campus to a job with Westin Hotels in San Francisco.
A great city, and many wonderful days at Tahoe, Feather River, Truckee River and of course, Putah Creek! Transferred back to Seattle hometown with Westin in 1978. Lasted a few years but got sacked by the food and beverage manager. Uncovered a sceme that defrauded customers on banquet bar tabs. Duly reported it, only to find that the F&B manager was running the scheme! Open mouth, insurt gun. Did learn about service, and taking care of customers; the golden rule. Then there is the other golden rule, them with the gold rules, so:
Wanted to learn about finance, the real way things work and got a job at Rainier Bank. Found a nitch in banking munipalities, sort of a combinantion of investment banking, portfolio management, and cash management. Many mergers later, (and another sacking involving an antique shotgun...) am working for a community bank out of Cashmere, though continue to live in Kirkland. Sure wish they would open up the Wenatchee to C&R! Funny how things evolve. Don't really have to work too hard after 23 years of this, the business seems to find me. Never understimate the value of networks! And there is ample time to fish, ski, golf and bird hunt. Travels to municipalities covers most of the state at some point and there is always room for appropriate boy toys in the trusty Exploder. Hang in there, do what feels right, it probably is.
Ronbow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.