Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Concunully Area Report

746 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Gary Thompson 
#1 ·
My girlfriend and I camped at Conconully state park from Fri - Monday and fished some of the lakes in the area. The weather was better than we expected, but still the rain squalls and wind kept us off the water at times. To make a long story short the fishing was real slow for us. It was much better fishing for me three weeks earlier when I first fished this area. We decided not to fish Chopaka because of the crowds. The game warden I talked to said he counted over 200 boats on the water. We decide to fish some lakes we never fished before. Fished Blue lake in the sin on Fri late afternoon. People fishing there said it had slowed down a lot. My girlfriend caught two right off but the wind picked up and we only got to fish two hr. I got a few hits. Fished Aneas for 4 hr on Sat and it was slow. My girlfriend caught three and I blanked. A local who started at 7am caught 10 on chronos. Fished Hess and Blue lake in the lime belt for the first time on Sunday. It was real windy on Hess when we put in and my girlfriend had a hard time fishing in the wind and shallow warter. She remamed the lake WW lake for wind weed lake. I picked up one about 16 inches with a dry line and hare's ear. Nice damsel fly hatch coming off but the wind made it real hard to fish. She wanted to leave and fish blue in the lime belt for brook trout. Less wind there when we got on the water and I was able to catch 5 with the biggest one going 13 inches. Caught a bunch of little 5 inch brookies also on a prince nymph. For some unknown reason she could not catch any of these brookies. We took a few back to camp for dinner. Fished Green lake for the first time on Monday. Green is a winter lake and is catch and release only from April-Oct. We had talked to a local the day before at Hess that said it had some nice fish in it. Only one other guy on the water and he was a local fishing guide in the area. We only got to fish about 4 hrs there and I picked up three before it really slowed down and 50 mph wind and rain squall came throught. Green lake is nice and should be a grate candidate for a selective fisheries lake. The game warden came by because the local guide had called in a poaching report the day before. The Game warden has given out over 50 tickets so far this year for people poaching this lake. There is no sign as to what the fishing regs are for the lake. The guide said he thinks some one took it down and burnt it for fire when winter fishing. Lots of trash left in the fire rings and along the lake shore. I picked up some at Blue lake and took it back to camp to get rid of it. I can't believe the dicks that leave their trash behind. I hate them as much or maybe more than the poachers. When caught they should make these bastards do 1000 hrs of community service picking up the trash they left behind. But maybe getting gut shot with a 357 mag may be a better and more lasting solution. Sorry for the rave but I just had to get it out.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.