Emergency Steelhead Gloat...

Steve Buckner

Mother Nature's Son
So what does a guy do when he has a day off? Stupid question...

So I get up and head out the door early and arrive at a small, semi-secret river. While fishing in one run I notice one fish roll. That's always a good sign. I continue to fish and manage to hook one Steelhead, but the fish comes unbuttoned after only a couple of seconds. I continue to fish through that pool and move onto another. After another hour or so, I hook another fish and this one also comes unbuttoned. As I'm moving downstream, there are numerous fish in most of the tail-outs, I mean the fish were everywhere!!! I probably saw over 50 Steelhead today.

So, wanting to get my fly down a little deeper, I switch from a sink-tip to a floating line, throw on a couple of small sinkers, an indicator, and a size 6 Polar Shrimp. After about 20 more minutes, I land the first fish of the day, a nice chrome hen of about 7 lbs..

After having made the switch to a "nymph rig", I manage to hook 5 more fish and land 3 more. I continued to fish until the color of the water put an end to the fishing. My days total was 7 hooked and 4 landed. This has been my best day of the season.

While I prefer to swing flies, it can often be much more effective to fish a nymph rig for Steelhead. In semi-clear water, I find that small flies will often outproduce big, gaudy patterns. Never underestimate the power of a small, size 4-6 Polar Shrimp.

I'm hoping that others are enjoying what seems to be turning out to be a good winter season.

Skinny

Skinny
I hope you remember that expensive beer I bought you during the Port Townsend Fish Commission Pow Wow just in case you are thinking about dropping me a private e-mail detailing the experience a little more with, oh, say, ah, maybe the name of this little piece of water and access.
Just a hint. That's all.
Bob, My Lips Will Be Sown Shut By A Licensed Surgeon :thumb

Bob,
If you would kindly pass that info along to me, I promise not to disclose anything that I saw or particiated in with you on the Fall OP trip.

Yours truly,

Pete

By the way.....

nice job Skinny...sounds like a great day, I got my first Steelhead of 04 up here in the North Sound just before the river blew out

Nailknot

Skinny, everyone knows that nymphing doesn't count. Post again when you catch a steelhead the true way, ok?

Kidding! Great story and right on with small flies. I'd be stoked to see 50 steelies, hook em or not. Cheers to you for a grand day.

>Bob,
>If you would kindly pass that info along to me, I
>promise not to disclose anything that I saw or
>particiated in with you on the Fall OP trip.
>
>Yours truly,
>
>Pete
>
>By the way.....
>
>nice job Skinny...sounds like a great day, I got my
>first Steelhead of 04 up here in the North Sound just
>before the river blew out
>

shhheeeot.. i got photos.