Seal Bugger

Big E

seal dubbing.... interesting. Guess it is another trip to the fly shop.

So..... the larger hackles need to be toward to eye of the hook and the smaller hackles toward the back?
You probably won't find seal dubbing at your local. ;) While not as hard to get as Polar Bear, you'll most likely have to order it. You can use an alternative....SLF is the first that comes to mind...Simi Seal is another. If you find polar bear, I'll trade you some for seal dubbing ;)

Bob Jones

Still truckless now farther away
soooooo much to learn :)
See chef you are right and in your earlier post that you're having fun. Take it easy don't pressure yourself and take the fun out of it. They all said that your ties will catch fish and the fish is the important judge to concider. As long as you are catching fish now and then and having fun tying that's good. The other thing pointed out is that as you tie more you will keep improving and that willl take care of the small problems that seem big now. I get really critical of my tying and for good reason but it just spoils the tyng fun. After I sit back and look at it the good feelings come back. Let a fish take my fly and it's all good feelings. and I don't care how bad my tying was of that fly. Keep the fun and interest going you'll learn as you go.

i have always worked two jobs for the last 7 plus years and never really took time for myself. I was always on the go... working one job for 8-10 hours and then going to the next job. I loved the rush of it all but then now, I am feeling worn out and needed to stop, evaluate my life and health and make the needed changes. Fly fishing has been a hell of a lot of fun. Just getting away, leaving life behind. Tying flies.... fun.... neat... and relaxing. I really needed something like this to bring back some fun into my life. I have met some cool people and continue to meet cool people. Heck... I am tying flies on Thursday with a group of people I have never met, I cant wait. :)

Long tails are actually a feature of a seal bugger. I fish and tie mine with long tails as designed by Denny. One thing I found in a you tube video that I do sometimes to speed up my tie for these (not that they are a long tie as it is) is that I will tie in a grizzly hackle with 1 side stripped, make my dubbing loop, spin in the dubbing then use my hackle pliers to hold the grizzly hackle to the end of my dubbing loop and wrap the hackle around the loop. Then I just wrap the loop around the hook as normal and use a dubbing brush (velcro on the end of a stick) and brush out the dubbing. The trick here is to use a dubbing that will produce long fibres and not to spin the dubbing too many times in the dubbing loop. A dubbing brush (or just any piece of velcro) will make a big difference. It took me a while to do a decent job with the dubbing.

Here's that video:

Okay, tie them long but when the short strikes come along, better have a pair of scissors.
Keith - the fish I target with seal buggers aren't the type to short-strike. They just flair their gills and inhale it :)

But seriously, Rickards is a very approachable guy and I've chatted with him on a few occasions when he's tying at the winter shows. His take on short strikes is that the fish will never miss a fly they are trying to eat. If they miss, they aren't committed which is a critique on the angler's presentation of the fly. So change retrieve first, then color, then step down a size. Since I got that advice, I don't have problems with short strikes.

Ed Call

Oh you are gonna be using a dubbing loop...wait and see. Sometimes a dubbing loop is the best way to get feather materials off the stem and allow for more closely spaced wraps that get a fuller body. Sometimes leaving the fibers on the stem is a better way for durabilty, ease and when your wraps are not so closely spaced.

Latest posts