Bamboo Exclusively?

Lugan, yup, that's me! Thanks for the kind words. And you're Lugan123, I presume. The photos are actually stored here at the WFF gallery.

Greg, thanks for the kind invitation, might just take it up some day.

Regards,
Kenneth

I have been tasked with selling the fishing equipment collection from my father-in-laws estate. There are many bamboo fly rods and and I know nothing about them. I have investigated the rods on eBay and found most of the brands and will probably sell them there. But, I have several rods for which eBay has no listings. I am looking for advice on how to educate myself on the market value of these items. This thread, in particular, caught my eye because I have a dual rod set marked Constable of Bromley England.

SpringCreek

Addicted to Cane.......
If you need help with information and appraisals, post pictures of the rods on the classicflyrodforum.com on the appraisals board. There are several knowledgable collectors there who can guide you.

Good luck

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
Send me a PM and I will be happy to answer any questions I am able to regarding the Constable Dual. As always, pictures are worth a thousand words.

TC

Happy to see this new section on the forum.

I'm curious how many others use bamboo and if so, what percentage would you say you do use it relative to graphite or glass?

I'd say I fish bamboo 90% of the time, with the graphite being used only for the far too rare "tropical" trips I take for bonefish, tarpon and snook.

I got started using bamboo when I inherited my grandfathers South Bend and my great aunt and uncle's Heddons (nice tapers BTW for "blue collar rods). I like a couple of Goodwin Grangers I've acquired (an 8642 and a 9050, both "Victory" models) as well as a newer Thramer 4 Wt. I also fish an Orvis Battenkill impregnated in the salt for searuns. Also have an 8 wt. Winston steelhead rod I've yet to fish, and assorted Edwards, a couple of F. Thomas rods, and an old Leonard.

I've enjoyed fishing and learning the history of these old rods and have also fallen victim to acquiring and using a whole collection of old reels to go with them.

So I'm curious to know what bamboo rods, and what percentage do you all fish them relative to graphite or glass?

Mis comienzos fueron el grafito, con el tiempo probe bamboo y a partir de ello empece a construir mis propias cañas y hoy por hoy tengo una variedad que va de linea nº 1, hasta cañas de dos manos (Spey) y realmente el abanico de cañas me da la posibilidad de pescar en cualquier ambito. por lo tanto 100% bamboo.
Saluda cordialmente HBages
www.hbbambooflyrods.com.ar

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
I've only got two, an old Montague Sunbeam two-tipper that was my father's, and a little Headwaters 4wt that I truly love! The rest of the time it's flinging graphite. In my case, I would love to do more bamboo, but there's usually a vintage grouse gun wiggling it's double triggers in front of me!

were can I get my bamboo rod fixed its pretty old looking and some of the guides fell off. I really want to fish this bamboo rod so bad. I got it from a older gentlemen who said it was his dad's in the 20's

Greg Armstrong

OldRodsHaveMoreFun
were can I get my bamboo rod fixed its pretty old looking and some of the guides fell off. I really want to fish this bamboo rod so bad. I got it from a older gentlemen who said it was his dad's in the 20's
I've had Dennis Stone (he's in Oregon) do some repairs for me and was pleased with his work.
Just google "Dennis Stone bamboo" and you'll find his website and contact info'.
Curious to know more about your bamboo rod. What have you got?

I've had Dennis Stone (he's in Oregon) do some repairs for me and was pleased with his work.
Just google "Dennis Stone bamboo" and you'll find his website and contact info'.
Curious to know more about your bamboo rod. What have you got?
Hey Greg it says on the reel seat union hardware company Torrington. Conn. U.S.A. Its 8'6" long 3 piece has 2 tips has red guide wraps. Some of the varnish has peeled off some guides missing. It's a little ruff but looks like in the right hands it can become new again

Greg Armstrong

OldRodsHaveMoreFun
Hey Greg it says on the reel seat union hardware company Torrington. Conn. U.S.A. Its 8'6" long 3 piece has 2 tips has red guide wraps. Some of the varnish has peeled off some guides missing. It's a little ruff but looks like in the right hands it can become new again
It's nice to know who owned it, and his Dad before him way back in the '20's!
So many of the rods we come across we know so little about, at least you know who fished that one. It's cool you've got some history on it.
It sounds like it could be a nice rod in a good length. Get it fixed up and take it fishing again, I'm sure the prior owners would most likely want it that way.

It's nice to know who owned it, and his Dad before him way back in the '20's!
So many of the rods we come across we know so little about, at least you know who fished that one. It's cool you've got some history on it.
It sounds like it could be a nice rod in a good length. Get it fixed up and take it fishing again, I'm sure the prior owners would most likely want it that way.
Heck ya i can't wait I've waited to long.

Latest posts