Carrying firearms while fishing

Lugan

Joe Streamer
Not a gun owner, but not a gun hater either and can see where the folks that carry are coming from. Having said that - what'd you folks that know what you're doing say is necessary to go from zero-experience with hand-guns to being able to competently handle a handgun in a worst-case scenario where you're out of options and have actually drawn your weapon with the intention of using it if necessary?

Basic coursework, range-work, regular practice - and then what? Seems like quite a bit of extra training geared towards actual attack scenarios, etc, etc, etc would be necessary to capably defend yourself at close range, but then again I don't have any real knowledge or experience to base that on. Hence the question....
I'd like those of you who pack while fishing to answer this question, which seems key. How can you be trained/prepared for a seriously critical moment when an actual attack happens (as unlikely as that may be)?

Smalma

There is no doubt in my mind that I'm still fishing and discussing these kinds of issues on the WWW because I do not carry.

By not carrying I have enjoyed family, friends, and our beloved sport for 20 years more than I would likely have if I were "packing".

Tight lines
Curt

Those of you who are willing to take on a tweaker hand-to-hand either:

1) have an over-inflated opinion of yourself and your ability to fight, or
2) have never actually met someone high on tweak, or
3) are way too badass to be posting on a flyfishing forum - you should probably be on some cage-fighting forum.
LOL, I've choked out a few tweakers in my day. :rofl: It's not that big a deal. You can't punch them or bitch slap them tho. You have to cut off their air supply to knock them out. That or snap a leg or two so they can't stand structurally, and proceed to put boots to brains. But, yes you are correct, you better be prepared to dish out some serious pain if you go toe to toe with one.

Luke77

I hope she likes whitefish
There have been a few times when a buddie and I ran into some not so friendly locals up the Kettel River and I wish I'd had one on my hip cuz i think in most cases just the flash of nickel will be detourent enough. But as far as what type of side arm, I like the Taurus Judge. You can fire a range of ammo from 45 shells for larger critters to 410 shells for the small critters.
Ive met some really choice individuals fishing the Kettle around the Curlew area. For the most part, as soon as they learn you arent part of some government conspiracy to steal their land rites they're ok. DEFINITELY NEVER TRESSPASS ON THEIR PROPERTY! The best way Ive found to make peace with those guysd is to carry a flask with you, and offer them a drink. Seriously, this has smoothed out several encounters with locals out there for me. Theres a big dispute between local landowners on the river and the definition of the Kettle as navigable or non navigable. According to them its NON which means they own the river bottom. JUST BE COURTEOUS. Most of those good ol boys are packing heat, "GOING HEELS" is what they call it, and Im pretty sure most of them get more practice with theirs than the average person on this board.

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
i never realized the danger i was putting myself in by going fishing. the snakes, bears, cougars, tweakers, bobcats, bigfoot, etc in the woods obviously create a clear and present danger to all those on the rivers and in the woods.

it must be by the grace of god that i am still breathing after going fishing yesterday in the woods with only a switch rod and fly box. wait, i forgot i brought my trusty wading stick.

Plecoptera

Those of you who are willing to take on a tweaker hand-to-hand either:

1) have an over-inflated opinion of yourself and your ability to fight, or
2) have never actually met someone high on tweak, or
3) are way too badass to be posting on a flyfishing forum - you should probably be on some cage-fighting forum.
Yes I have a very over-inflated and most likely unrealistic opinion about my ability to fight. I've also ran into several people whom have been hittn' the tweak pretty hard and contrary to what many believe they are not zombies looking to attack any sign of human life. Granted when I do see someone in this condition I keep an eye on them and keep my distance. Never once have i felt threatened or in danger however.

In any of these cases I would have felt more unsafe if I was carrying.

Popcorn anyone? Stayin' outta' this one....been here, done this before!! Them that feel the need to pack will pack, them that don't, won't. Period.

JC :clown:

Ive met some really choice individuals fishing the Kettle around the Curlew area. For the most part, as soon as they learn you arent part of some government conspiracy to steal their land rites they're ok. DEFINITELY NEVER TRESSPASS ON THEIR PROPERTY! The best way Ive found to make peace with those guysd is to carry a flask with you, and offer them a drink. Seriously, this has smoothed out several encounters with locals out there for me. Theres a big dispute between local landowners on the river and the definition of the Kettle as navigable or non navigable. According to them its NON which means they own the river bottom. JUST BE COURTEOUS. Most of those good ol boys are packing heat, "GOING HEELS" is what they call it, and Im pretty sure most of them get more practice with theirs than the average person on this board.
Best advice in this thread man!

The flask works with tweakers as well. Just carry an extra throw away shot glass so you don't get any rotten teeth bits in yer drink. Also, I've never tried it, but have often wondered if blowing fireballs with a swig of high proof would deter a bear as well as pepper spray. I doub't they'd be inclined to attack a fire breathing human. :rofl:

Roper

Idiot Savant
I have more guns than most of you might have. I just love 'em. Handguns, shotguns, rifles, black guns, you name it. I never pack when I'm fishing. But then I don't fish moving water, mostly lakes. The damn thing would be poking me in the side...

Bear spray is my advice if you are asking. Why? Because if you're asking, you don't have a mind set to carry. You're just thinking about it. When I carry there's no questions, there's a reason. What do I carry? Kimber Ultra-carry 45ACP. There will be only one story being told.

Golly, my testosterone is climbing too high, I've gotta go do some aroma therapy...

Seriously, bear spray!

I personally have nothing against those who choose to carry a firearm while fishing, etc.; that is, as long as they are trained in the use of their weapon, and fully realize and accept all the responsibilities involved in carrying it and actually having to use it end another person’s life (may one be so unfortunate). With that being said, I think that situational awareness and common sense (for example, doing ones best to avoid life threatening situations, or leaving a confrontation before it even gets to that point) can go a long way. As far as wildlife is concerned, I was bluff charged by a bear in late spring of 2008. I was hiking on a trail that was surrounded by thick brush and trees, and I could only see about 3- 4 feet on either side. To say the least, this thing tore through the underbrush and came at me so fast that I really did not have any time to react (I take that back, the hair on the back of my neck stood up). Luckily for me, it was only bluffing. I guess what I am saying is that having a firearm wouldn’t have been any help to me when this situation, due to the reason that I did not have any time to react when the bear was charging. It all happened very fast. As a side note, I have encountered a number of bears, and this is the only aggressive encounter that I have had. Anyhow, this is just my 2 cents.

I have more guns than most of you might have. I just love 'em. Handguns, shotguns, rifles, black guns, you name it. I never pack when I'm fishing. But then I don't fish moving water, mostly lakes. The damn thing would be poking me in the side...

Bear spray is my advice if you are asking. Why? Because if you're asking, you don't have a mind set to carry. You're just thinking about it. When I carry there's no questions, there's a reason. What do I carry? Kimber Ultra-carry 45ACP. There will be only one story being told.

Golly, my testosterone is climbing too high, I've gotta go do some aroma therapy...

Seriously, bear spray!
Very well said Roper.