Bacon Bomb

Ran across this last night when I was looking for something new to smoke.

Decided to do some cheese and salmon however this one is on my "to do" list Thanksgiving weekend, I mean a recipe of 3#'s ground pork, a few pounds of thick sliced bacon, onions, peppers cooked on a smoker is something I can't pass up.

Has anyone done this?

John

martyg

It is a ritual on the last day of Middle Fork trips that I work as a guide on. Keep in mind that you need LOTS of grease. It needs to get REALLY hot - like let it simmer for an hour.

We use a 8.5' oar with a cut duck taped to the end as the "igniter", and that is often not long enough.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Ah, those are also called fatties (as in smoking a fattie). Load that baby up with different pork products with the ground pork (like kielbasa, ham, etc). Then toss it in the smoker for awhile. Mmmmmmm.

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
Ah, those are also called fatties (as in smoking a fattie). Load that baby up with different pork products with the ground pork (like kielbasa, ham, etc). Then toss it in the smoker for awhile. Mmmmmmm.
Wholly cow! You need to do this when you go to the Hoh Down Jerry! I haven't attended yet, but this could "draw" me! Ha!

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Larry I've actually been thinking of doing one at a Hoh Down. Just they are heavy prep and I try to keep the food low scale prep in the field (though most guys think I'm going overboard). It may happen.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Evan you're killing me. I still make that occasionally. Kids love it. First tried it when I toured through Toronto years ago. Instead of beef could make gravy with pork drippings. How's that for upping it? LOL

Latest posts