What's your favorite deer cartridge? Elk cartridge?

danimal

Inglorious Twohander
Hi fellers! Whats shaking?
This last season in hooserville( land of inbreeds for the most part) excluding me......243 (6mm) and (.300) were legal on private land to harvest (or poach) ...deer ..
Insane in rural areas, if you ask me...
Only thing I took was 2 yotes w/ 7.62/39..
Chasing a 10point that's 150-160class.. 2 yrs, he never is in range..

So it's about trajectory in rural areas? Hoping a bullet might drop a couple ft/sec before it goes through a house? Which would limit long range kills. Why don't they throw brick into the walls of the breeder boxes in Indiana?

KerryS

Ignored Member
So it's about trajectory in rural areas? Hoping a bullet might drop a couple ft/sec before it goes through a house? Which would limit long range kills. Why don't they throw brick into the walls of the breeder boxes in Indiana?
When I lived on Lopez the .22LR was the round of choice for most locals.

danimal

Inglorious Twohander
Actually,.243-6mm shoots flat.
.300-7.62 , legal is from AK round up to and including .300 weatherby:eek:.
That's pretty scary in dense
Population areas rite there.

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
@danimal -excerpt from the article linked by Upton O in post #77 - Can you provide clarification here? Enquiring minds are dying to know ;) Guidelines seem odd to say the least..

The new legal cartridges include, but are not limited to, the .243 Winchester, .30-30 Winchester, .300 AAC Blackout, and .30-06 Springfield.

Additional requirements are:

• The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches
• The rifle cartridges must have a cartridge case length of least 1.16 inches
• The rifle cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is
• .243 inches (or 6 mm); or
• .308 inches (or 7.62 mm)
• No cartridges with a bullet diameter between .243 and .308 are legal (such as the .270 Winchester)
• A hunter may not possess more than 10 such cartridges while in the field

John Dude

Learned skills from George Dickel
New deer rifle for 2017:
My favorite gun for deer has always been my Rem Model 700 Classic in 6.5 Swedish. Outdoor Life reviewed this new Sauer bolt action rifle last fall, the Model 100 XT, and it is supposed to be available in 6.5 Swedish and list priced about 700$. So I had the local dealers order it. Unfortunately, they say the USA distributor is not importing the Sauer in that chambering. So I am getting one in this new-fangled 6.5 Creedmoor. (plus the local dealer is marking it up to 875$ inc the taxes). Expect it in a week or so. Top with a Weaver or Tasco 4 power scope and it's set as a deer gun. If it works out, the 6.5 Remington might be left in the case all fall

John Dude

Learned skills from George Dickel
New deer rifle for 2017:
My favorite gun for deer has always been my Rem Model 700 Classic in 6.5 Swedish. Outdoor Life reviewed this new Sauer bolt action rifle last fall, the Model 100 XT, and it is supposed to be available in 6.5 Swedish and list priced about 700$. So I had the local dealers order it. Unfortunately, they say the USA distributor is not importing the Sauer in that chambering. So I am getting one in this new-fangled 6.5 Creedmoor. (plus the local dealer is marking it up to 875$ inc the taxes). Expect it in a week or so. Top with a Weaver or Tasco 4 power scope and it's set as a deer gun. If it works out, the 6.5 Remington might be left in the case all fall
Saw a review also in American Hunter magazine. Can't wait to shoot this, but waiting on the dies and the scope to arrive. Midway is very slow this time

Latest posts