What's your favorite deer cartridge? Elk cartridge?

I reload my own- my own personal setups (in .308): Hornady 165gn SST over 4064 for Deer, 180gn SST over 4064 for Elk. I also have some 150gn Interlock that I'd use for Deer if I run out. So far- I don't get off enough shots to run out- Hahaha!

John Dude

Learned skills from George Dickel
New deer rifle for 2017:
My favorite gun for deer has always been my Rem Model 700 Classic in 6.5 Swedish. Outdoor Life reviewed this new Sauer bolt action rifle last fall, the Model 100 XT, and it is supposed to be available in 6.5 Swedish and list priced about 700$. So I had the local dealers order it. Unfortunately, they say the USA distributor is not importing the Sauer in that chambering. So I am getting one in this new-fangled 6.5 Creedmoor. (plus the local dealer is marking it up to 875$ inc the taxes). Expect it in a week or so. Top with a Weaver or Tasco 4 power scope and it's set as a deer gun. If it works out, the 6.5 Remington might be left in the case all fall
I tested this out, 40 rounds of Hornady factory ammo. Consistently the 3 shot groups were LESS THAN 1/2 INCH! right out of the box without any modifications, nor doing handloads on neck-sized brass. Used a Tasco 4 power scope for all the shooting
Definitely using this gun in October.

John Dude

I'm really getting to like the 6.5 Creedmoor as a deer cartridge. Working up loads for it. But not finding much data that uses Vithavouri powders. These are my favorite due to their consistent quality. shooting 120 and 140 grain Sierra bullets, as usual

I haven't hunted for a few years, but my cartridges are semi-antique, somewhat like me. I have two old Mauser-actioned rifles, one in .275 H&H and the other in .375 H&H. And yes, I reloaded. Still have the dies and brass.

John Dude

I haven't hunted for a few years, but my cartridges are semi-antique, somewhat like me. I have two old Mauser-actioned rifles, one in .275 H&H and the other in .375 H&H. And yes, I reloaded. Still have the dies and brass.
I love my 375 H&H, which is on a Mark X Mauser sport rifle I found in the used rack at Warshals about 20 years ago. I don't have anything to shoot at with it, since for elk sized game, I tend to use my 280 Ackley Improved Mauser (Kimber rebuild). Anything bigger than elk or meaner than Donald Trump's Healthcare plan, I don't ever get to hunt (Moose, African dangerous game, etc.). But those kinds of things, the 375 Mag would be my go to gun.

P-FITZ98

my all around gun is a 300 Weatherby, good old model 70 , a Gentry muzzle brake and 2lb trigger job makes it a sweet shooting rifle that drops anything, lights out. Never had any problems with tore up meat, or chasing a wounded animal. Don't use my .270 anymore

John Dude

I'm really getting to like the 6.5 Creedmoor as a deer cartridge. Working up loads for it. But not finding much data that uses Vithavouri powders. These are my favorite due to their consistent quality. shooting 120 and 140 grain Sierra bullets, as usual
6.5 Creedmoor puts away a 3 point mulie buck at about 200 yds out. Single shot in the left side of the chest and he drops like a rock. LT Murray wildlife area.

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
I love my 375 H&H, which is on a Mark X Mauser sport rifle I found in the used rack at Warshals about 20 years ago. I don't have anything to shoot at with it, since for elk sized game, I tend to use my 280 Ackley Improved Mauser (Kimber rebuild). Anything bigger than elk or meaner than Donald Trump's Healthcare plan, I don't ever get to hunt (Moose, African dangerous game, etc.). But those kinds of things, the 375 Mag would be my go to gun.
That .375 is the most versatile caliber on earth. If you load solids and aim a little further back on the body, you can kill anything small like a raccoon or bobcat and still have a nice mount. Same thing for deer, you won’t destroy the meat. Load soft and It’ll drop an elk or grizzly DRT. The funny thing, I’d rather shoot a .375 than a .300 mag, the perceived recoil seems less, depending on rifle weight, of course.

The two biggest limitations are, you don’t want to shoot beyond 200 yards and the cost of ammo is very high!

Last edited:
So there you have it. Use a load appropriate for the game being hunted. Since I posted my response quite a while ago, I have seen all sorts of choices and a little bit of choice-bashing...a bit of blather about "boutique cartridges" and so on...I replied that the choices might depend upon what Grandfather bequeathed to you. In my case it was a pair of beautiful Mauser-actioned rifles custom made by a world famous maker in the UK, the values of which are hard to believe...a comparable .375 H&H rifle was offered for sale in Texas for the cost of a very nice boat...The purpose of the two cartridges, .275 H&H and .375 H&H, was knock-down power at the maximum point blank range (+_ 3" from zero) for iron sights...300 yards for the .275 and 200 yards for the .375. In the 1920s, when the rifles were built, telescopic sights were not as reliable as iron sights, so it was assumed that iron sights would be used. I have the German 4X scope that Grandfather bought for the .275, but it is basically an amusing antique...excellent optics, but the rest...not even close to being waterproof. GF often joked that the weather inside the scope was the same as the weather outside.

Latest posts