What are the must have flies for your Spey arsenal?

When I get my two hander I will try MOAL leechs again,but on my singke hander, they just get too damn heavy to cast. Rabibt fur does look great underwater, but rhea is a good wiggler too.

Bob Jones

Still truckless now farther away
What they all said and maybe something different. What ever looks good to you will help to give you confidense, and then play with sizes and colors and weights. They gave you the reasons and most of the colors and sizes Now you have to go fish and see what the fish react to. Good luck Happy fishin!!

Jergens

AKA Joe Willauer
Black bunny strip on a hook is hard to beat. The Hoh bo spey rocks as well, and anything with marabou is good for me, but as most said, it really doesn't matter. I would just have a selection of 4 styles: Big and Dark, Big and Bright, Small and Dark, Small and Bright.

G

golfman65

what the neck is a steelhead exasperator? I did a search and found nada..need something new to tie, got all my moels, esl's...tubes etc. actually could fish what I've tied for the next year but looking for something new for chits and giggles...

Michael's flies rock!!! One day I found a little sculpin in a side pool on one of the rivers so I ran an exasperater thru the pool with it...I was absolutely amazed at how it looked and swam just like the sculpin. It takes a little time to tie but is totally worth it.

His other killer fly is the Halo...fish go nuts for it...I've caught more fish on the Halo than any other fly!!!!

Check out his Last Light fly too.

Ed Call

1) Go to the GALLERY. Look at the SWAPS in the gallery that are about steelhead. You will do well to have some of those.
2) Go to the GALLERY. Look for the SWAPS in the gallery that are articulated flies. You will do well to have some of those. You will find some in both categories and that should tip you off to it being one to have for sure.
3) Go to the GALLERY. Find patterns tied by Kaeten Labrel. When you find the ones there that also are in the places listed in 1) and 2) above you will do well to have some of those and tie them on your tippet.

The Hoh bo spey rocks as well, and anything with marabou is good for me, but as most said, it really doesn't matter. I would just have a selection of 4 styles: Big and Dark, Big and Bright, Small and Dark, Small and Bright.
The Hobo spey is a killer fly! If I could only fish one steelhead fly, I would choose the Hobo spey. However, I would have to be able to vary the colors depending upon water conditions, etc.

Thanks to everyone who posted.
Just by the numbers I think I've narrowed it down to the following.
  1. Intruders - Various Colors and sizes
  2. ESLs - Various colors and sizes
  3. MOALs
  4. Hoh Bo Spey
  5. Steelhead Exasperator
  6. GPs
I know there were others mentioned; they aren't forgotten. These were the most mentioned in the thread.
Can't wait to get in after it.

Latest posts