Chironamid Fishing... Sunday the 23rd

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
My wife isn't too wrathful, in fact she pushes me to fish more... Hmmm maybe I'm missing something. I think she knows that I'm more of a "Distance makes the heart grow fonder" guy than a "Out of sight out of mind" guy.

Ira..

Met up with Chef at Lake Martha this morning, seems like a great guy :) checked on me several times to make sure how I was doing and even offered coffee but I brought enough for the morning. I forgot the strike indicators, so decided to troll a brown leach...20 mins later fish on!!!! It didn't take long to bring it to hand. A nice little brown trout, that measured 9"...wooohoooo I loved it !! Unfortunately , it was my only bite this morning. I fished until just before noon, then was wearing down and toes got pretty cold so I heading in and packed up off to home. Chef was talking about a Loan lake trip next weekend, and I am down with that :) it was a great experience catching my first fish on a fly rod, can't wait until next weekend to do it again :D My casting is getting much better too! Sorry I didn't stick around longer Chef, I will be more prepared next weekend to keep my feet warmer so I can fish longer.

A very nice fish indeed Scott :D , and despite it's size from bite to hand the entire experience was very exciting... Next time out, maybe several to hand and once nice one big enough for dinner ;)

chef, anything you learn about chirono's, will you share with me? i know nothing about them, just how to tie them. all i got is floating line at the moment, hope it will work for them

Rumor has it that Ira is supposed to give a chironamide lesson in Feb on the west side....... :)

Silver: I dont know much at this point. still trying to learn.

Pick up the DVD by Brian Chan about fishing stillwater. He'll cover floating, intermediate and full sinking lines and also show some ties you'll want to have in your collection. While it may seemingly appear to be trivial, there is a complex word in a lake and Chironomid fishing is the way to go if you want to effectively catch fish, and lots of fish. Most of the guys in WA aren't as hardcore as our BC bretheren who have dialed in this effective method of fishing.
Where can i pick up this dvd??

I wish I'd seen this post earlier. I just did my first Chironomid Fishing at pass lake this last weekend. Not going to be my favorite for fly fishing as I really enjoy casting, but for the winter why not.

I wish I'd seen this post earlier. I just did my first Chironomid Fishing at pass lake this last weekend. Not going to be my favorite for fly fishing as I really enjoy casting, but for the winter why not.
winter /spring/summer/fall chronies rock~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm with you Trout Master and Ira, chironomids are a blast to fish! If you think it's boring, you're not doing it right. I'd rather catch 6 fish on chironomids under an indicator than 12 fish on buggers any day!!