NFR: "to" and "too"

Lugan

Joe Streamer
The absolutely dismal level of the U.S. educational system is well demonstrated by the growing popularity of "Jersey Shore" on MTV and by the results of the 2008 election when the illiterate American electorate fell for the the empty and meanlingless "Hope and Change" ruse and Barry Puddin head was voted into office. Sad Days for a once great nation. At least we can text while driving. Grammar and spelling be damned.
Sure, McCain and Palin would have been so much better. We're asked to evaluate a two-headed monster every four years, and told to vote for one head or the other. The rest of the carcass is the same.

Also, your last semi-sentence about grammar lacks a verb, which is ironic.

Lugan

Joe Streamer
Show me where it matters or confuses the reader as to/too intent? I'm ok for conventions as it applies to making sure intent is clear but in this case with two completely different parts of speech, I don't believe for a second that it matters and I also believe that within my lifetime we will see it changed to/too to or 2 for that matter.

Just try moving back in time say 200 years and apply your current grammar rules. Grammar rules change and so does language (English as we know it did not exsist 1000 years ago) the only people who care about arcane rules like to/too are those who don't understand the concept of change. So two two's tutued a two to tutu too.
Fine, then let's adopt Ebonics. That's just English, "changed".

Dam I chek in here and find 4 pages of this, and not one complaint about people who say
"larnix" instead of "lair-inks" when they are trying to pronounce the word "larynx" when referring to the human "voice box."
OK, I'm dun. Any more coffee and I'll have to go pass some "mysterious water.":rofl:
Best reply yet (even though I feel pissed on).

Any more cigarettes and I will no longer possess a larynx.

Maybe I missed something skipping through four pages of grammar police squaring off. Who cares? It's proven that intelligent human beings barely notice such errors(it doesn't reduce the speed of reading at all). Intelligent people automatically re-assemble words in their mind to what they should be. Try reading a paragraph with the letters in the words completely re-arranged. You'll be suprised. Or not.

Roper

Idiot Savant
The end is near, we fall deeper into the shit hole every day. We can't speak or write correctly. We are "dumbing down" our children in schools. And we turn every issue into a tirade against Sarah Palin. If you think this forum has an issue in writing, you should see some of the legal documents produced at "the Lazy B" by professional engineers. I have final approval of them and I only have a GED. Yet I can see the errors quite easily. Why we strive to be stupid instead of improving is beyond my understanding. I have a rope, anyone want their head pulled out...?

Ed Call

Roper, you pessimist. I get to read to a 5 year old fly fishy chicklet that has a remarkable vocabulary and zeal for learning. Then I get read to by her 7 year old sister who is also a fly fishy chicklet that likely has an ability to deliver a story with perfect diction, voice inflection and knows exactly what a poignant pause is and how to use it. Fear not, all is not lost.

Preston

Hey, Jim W.
One of my favorites is "et cetera", (sometimes "etcetera"), Latin for "and others", which is, almost universally mispronounced as "ek cetera" and usually incorrectly abbreviated as "ect." instead of "etc."

steelydan

Newb seeking wisdom
Shit, the spelling police are here. Who cares. A lot of people here don't do half of the spelling here correctly. We all know what it means. Some don't even use Capitals where they belong. We don't get graded on how shit is spelled. We try to get graded on if we are telling the truth or a fib
OK, so if the proper use of capitals is so arbitrary, read the following sentences...

I helped my uncle Jack off a horse.

I helped my uncle jack off a horse.

I think your grammar is an indication of intelligence and self respect.
Can we add than/then to the thread?
How about there/their/they're?

Preston

Roper,
You're only too right about "educated" engineers. I, too, had to spend a lot of my day at TBC correcting the work of people, many with advanced degrees, who had difficulty expressing a simple sentence, let alone spelling the words correctly. One young engineer actually told me with pride that he hadn't read a book in the five years since he had graduated.

Latest posts