Favorite winter steelhead patterns.

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
And never forget; tradition can also be an anchor, a ball-and-chain-like impediment to progress that sometimes not only benefits the fisherman, but the fish too. Tradition can be divisive, disruptive, and damaging to the sport. Holding one’s methods and preferences above those of others, a version of elitism if you will, does the sport no good. At a time when the very fish are endangered to the point of extinction, anything that brings division to the rank and file of recreational sport fishermen must be avoided. A sad thing indeed if the sport were to die from lack of fish while we argued the merits of various casting and presentation techniques. Doesn’t it seem far more constructive to direct your passion towards endeavors which might benefit our opportunities to fish, instead of expounding the virtues of this method over that?
why does this argument always come up? can we disagree about methods yet still fight for fish? i for one think we can multitask enough to argue about methods and argue about ways to save our resource.

how far do we let the kumbayya crap go? no fighting for bait bans because we gotta get along with all gear types? i'm not willing to say we should all stop fishing over declining stocks, but our behavior while doing so says a lot about us. it seems many don't like the glare of that mirror.

this isn't just about nymph vs swing. it's about how our sport is evolving in the face of not just declining fish runs, but declining opportunities.

back to the question. i like something big and pink... or orange... or black. whatever i feel confident in at the time gets tied on... and lately it's been the mix of different colors that's been getting the grabs (from the flybox at least).

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
why does this argument always come up? can we disagree about methods yet still fight for fish? i for one think we can multitask enough to argue about methods and argue about ways to save our resource.
How's that been working out so far?

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
How's that been working out so far?
yes, we now have another reason for anadramous fish declines.... internet discussions on nymph vs. swing. it's now harvest, hatcheries, habitat, internet bulletin boards.

the reason why sportfishermen do not all come together has a far more complex reason that disagreements over how to fish. there are legitimate disagreements over harvest and hatcheries. you can see when there is broad agreement on issues groups come together no problem (attacks on the commission, puget sound chinook plan).

someone saying that beads under a thingamabobber isn't flyfishing has ZERO to do with declining fish stocks. i've been to a lot of public fisheries meetings, and i have never heard a nymph vs. swing argument.

there is a large percentage of sportfishermen that just want harvestable fish, and could care less about wild fish or hatchery interactions. they put a lot of pressure on the decision makers. i for one will not join them on their crusade against wild fish restoration, and it's not because they don't swing flies.

Panhandle

Especially on a fly fishing forum. The basis and purpose of a forum is info and debate. What you're complaining about, and not just you, is the nature of a forum. Its a fly fishing FORUM people!

Especially on a fly fishing forum. The basis and purpose of a forum is info and debate. What you're complaining about, and not just you, is the nature of a forum. Its a fly fishing FORUM people!
"Yeah.. so keep your meat hooks off!" Just kidding...stole from the Movie "Stripes" when Francis or "Psycho" says..."And I don't like anyone touching my stuff...so if I catch any of you Homos out there touching my stuff...I'll Kill ya...so keep you meat hooks off."

Actually that whole scene was awesome.

"So keep your Bead hooks off" ...I know "lighten up Francis."

it doesnt matter if you swing or nymph for steelhead that are fakes!
I will take our many available wild fakes out here available 11 months of the year, compared to what has happened to the WA fishery which I used to visit every few years, no more. Further chartreuse and black works well in either locations. Below are wild Michigan steelhead planted from west coast in 1880s, no stocking on this river for a long time, all natural reproduction. River open all year and with an excellent wild king salmon and brown trout fishery. Spring run is just starting we are good thru May.
You ought to try it some time.