Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Beads

Spey 
20K views 185 replies 48 participants last post by  golfman65 
G
#1 ·
OK I am done bitching about beads now. I just think its a crappy way to fish and its just an opinion. Everyone likes to fish the way they feel confident and enjoy fishing. I sometimes blame beads for a bad day? who knows? That fish that seen my swung fly (that I spent time building - not from a bag of plastic balls), has been pricked by the bead = that fish wont bite! I wonder if everyone swung flies, maybe the fishing would be different. I know one thing, if we all swung flies you would see less fisher-people. It is more difficult, in a different way? I can say that flailing that stupid bobber, helicopter bead and bobber effect looks difficult (honestly more difficult). So my efforts to change the outlook of fishing the real way for Steelhead are futile. I would rather be caught belly up, floating in the river than using a bead rig. To share the river with a true bait slinger would be more fun than a bead guy. That's just me and that's just my bitch! To top it all off I read an article in a magazine about a bead guy just this morning. I threw up before I could make it to the toilet.

#41 ·
OK I am done bitching about beads now. I just think its a crappy way to fish and its just an opinion. Everyone likes to fish the way they feel confident and enjoy fishing. I sometimes blame beads for a bad day...
Sucks for you, buddy. Beads are here to stay... even little girls in Montana are pegging beads and hooking fish now instead of nymphin and I dont hear them bitch about it! I suppose you're gonna rag on pink worms next?? To each their own... just dont be self-righteous about your style being holier than thou... if there's one thing I cant stand, its someone who wines about other styles of fishing being... it doesnt make you any more of a fisher-MAN, it just makes you sound like a lil' bitch!

#57 ·
So wait...if I swing beads, what team am I on? Hopefully neither, because I shouldn't have to choose sides. Last time I checked we were all after the same end goal? I could be wrong. Anyway, imagine if all this energy and time spent on these threads, trying to prove what tactic is "right" was put to say, coming up with ways to improve, enhance, and restore our precious resource, I'm pretty sure that more rivers would remain open and there would be more fish to catch.

G
#70 ·
Roby your all worked up like a little girl with bad cramps. You should get out of your trailer and have some fun. Or go to your homocave and paint some beads or something. Don't threaten me with your ignorant self.

#76 ·
people create these threads not for informational purposes, but for straight up attention. what has anyone learned about this topic besides people are gonna try to scare you by saying it's not fishing? who cares. we are all here to catch fish. sure, this is for fly fishing, but it's a hobby, and recreational sport, not a place to tell everyone how stupid they are. i thought this forum was kick ass when i started posting on here. it's failing on me because of people that create these attention threads, if you will. i am done posting in rebellion of these ignorant idiots from their high up cities.

FOR THE LOVE OF SEDRO-WOOLLEY!!!!!

#77 ·
Had to check the URL thought for a moment after reading this stuff I accidently stumbled onto a middle school aged younsters myspace or facebook page. This forum has turned so lame from what it use to be, I've not been here very long but it certainly is a pathetic forum at this point, have fun kids and please just stay home on your computers and don't ever go near water especially flowing water such as a stream or river, for your own safety, please.

#78 ·
I respect opinions of the more traditional types on this forum. The discussions about whether fishing beads or jigs is actually fly fishing is pretty interesting. I have beads in my box but typically lean towards tied egg patterns if steelheading under an indicator. I also have a lot of swinging patterns which are epically rewarding to fish. I really don't know if beads fall into the category of fly fishing but I don't care. I know a couple guys who throw jigs and beads on spinning rods but hold the utmost respect for them as they are just out there to catch fish and get outdoors. These guys care about the resource just as much as I do, and I appreciate learning about their techniques as it makes me a better fisherman. Just recently I hiked in with one of them to a great jig and streamer spot. I threw zoo cougars and other articulated streamers while he threw jigs. We both caught nice fish, talked about our mutual love of being outdoors, fish quality, density, and the overpopulation of folks who claim their superiority for throwing streamers on fly rods instead of jigs on spinning rods.

Maybe the above is just a brain dump. I don't care if how I fish is interpreted as fly fishing in the traditional sense or not, just as I'm out on the river watching the water and hoping that I get a strike. I love the strike on a streamer or a dry, but I'm always out there for the sake of being on a river, thinking about how enriched my life is every day I get a chance to fish.

I always look forward to Stewart Dee's and Golfman's posts. I haven't ventured north to swing flies on the Dean but I hope to get up there in the next few years. Talking to an older shop owner in our area about fishing soft hackles and other traditional patterns helps me embrace how our sport started and exhibits a true connection to the water.

We're all fishing, supporting the industry, and getting away from our TVs. Hopefully we don't digress as a population to just a numbers game. Let's just enjoy our time on the river exploring our favorite natural resource.

Sam

G
#83 ·
Didn't think this would ruffle so many feathers. I think for me I am just frustrated with these big commutes to the coast (5 in a row now) just to fish. Then I never see fellow swingers, mostly gear and bobbers. It makes me feel like the tradition of a swung fly is pastime now. At the end of the day four or five guys are bragging about sticking fish with a pinned bead, (guides included). Great for them, I know heavy flies and sink tips are far from purist, (and I am inches away from going full floating & traditional fly purist style). I feel the idea of a well presented fly and a tight line take is the way. I don't know anything else, since I have never used any other method. I look for the kind of water I want, that has a limitation that is a love hate relationship. Limitations of water conditions, fly speed, color, size, depth and so on appeal to me. I know that is not the case for some of you, my point was cross for most to read and my apologies go out for that. I guess I am just hard headed and a bead hater, don't take me serious. Some of the guys that have fished with me will vouch for my passion to just have fun fishing with all seriousness to catch a fish and watch over the river.

#96 ·
i have a friend, lets call him mark wisdom. everytime he sees a bunyn he gets all soft. bunnys are his weakness. So of course i posted all of these to his facebook. Oolang is possibly the best bunny ever. RIP

Also, a question to Stew D.

What is your opinion on long line nymping and egg pattern? It has the same quality of a swing (tight line, proper presentaion) so as far as i can tell it has the same draw as the swing for you. Please also note the downstream, step by step working of the run. This aids in the prevention of lowholing swingers, as i move through the water in the same fashion.

So do you hate the bead or the bobber? Please adress this issue for me. My first steel ever was caught long lining, as was my first chinook.

thanks for the input and maybe ill get out with you one day and you can help me improve my swing.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=132528033468687

#91 ·
Stewart Dee, I guess your hate on for beads is about the same as mine for monkey inbred fucks that swing intruders/ESLs etc from skagit lines for summer runs...but whatever. Not everyone wants to learn or be challenged or wants to continue to develope as an angler. Oh well. So be it. Frankly I could give a rats ass, but I really dont want to fish with or around guys that dont enjoy fishing the way I like to. Why? Because I have nothing in common with those guys. I gave up the numbers game some time ago and for me the reward comes from time spent at the vise figuring out the hows and whys of when and how I should fish a type of pattern, the time spent figuring out a particular system and when and how to fish it, then figuring out a fun and effective way to present the bug. When it all comes together and I find a willing wild player, its pretty cool. Not too many guys think this way, its their loss. I'll still drink their single malt though...

#93 ·
That and the aggressive Vedder mentality has infested the place. Same happening with the place you and I like too. Gees, even had some asshat show up in camp this year (after we talked about the two of us doing a float), with 5 of his pals....Time to find another river

#94 ·
That and the aggressive Vedder mentality has infested the place. Same happening with the place you and I like too. Gees, even had some asshat show up in camp this year (after we talked about the two of us doing a float), with 5 of his pals....Time to find another river
The guys with the wall tents ? Ran into them too many times .
I`m thinking of heading further west this year .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.