WTB backup 12 WT 9' flyrod for Loreto Dorado trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Headed to Loreto in late August to mid September 2011 to flyfish for dorado and need good, inexpensive back-up 12 WT, 9 ft fly rod.
Going with grop of guys for fifth year in row, using Captains from Pam Bolles of BajaBig Fish and sharing 3 bedroom home with pool and may have one opening.
In 2010, we averaged 12 dorado per day C & R per person with fish in the smaller range of 4 to 28#. In 2009, I C & R eight (8) dorado over 40#, but only 3.5 fish per person per day.
Please PM me if you have a good to very good backup 12 WT 9' that is below $120 to sell. Thanks, simpleinterest.

Philster

Are you guys bringing a bazooka case for conventional rods? $50 for an 11/12 ugly stick is some of the best insurance there is. But they are 2 piece.

P.S. I've known Pam for 15 years. Great person, great operation. If it isn't yellowtail season she does rent gear. Or at least she did.

The only convential gear we would use if we needed it would be for squid/calamri.
We fly fish only. Why would you use gear for dorado?
We outcatch gear guys plus enjoy tying our flies, building rods, etc and the thrill of sight casting to dorado.
Still looking for a good 12 Wt well under $100, would prefer to buy locally rather than thru ebay.
Tight lines.
simpleinterst

Philster

The only convential gear we would use if we needed it would be for squid/calamri.
We fly fish only. Why would you use gear for dorado?
We outcatch gear guys plus enjoy tying our flies, building rods, etc and the thrill of sight casting to dorado.
Still looking for a good 12 Wt well under $100, would prefer to buy locally rather than thru ebay.
Tight lines.
simpleinterst
Nope, I flyfish too. Conventional gear is for bait, deepwater Pargo (the big ones, not the little beach guys), Salas jigs deeper than 50 feet, and trolling. If I have to troll, I don't like to use a fly rod. Good fishing flies are often not good trolling flies, and hoochies on a boat rod are always effective:p

Richard E

I have a stout 12 weight Bass Pro rod, 2 pc, with aluminum tube, 8'6", that would be a great backup. Well south of $100 (noticed your budget has come down since the initial posting of $120), and is great for a backup role.

Philster

I have a stout 12 weight Bass Pro rod, 2 pc, with aluminum tube, 8'6", that would be a great backup. Well south of $100 (noticed your budget has come down since the initial posting of $120), and is great for a backup role.
Yeah but it doesn't have that awesome ugly stick clear tip!:clown:

Many thanks to all who replied to thread. Took some advise and bought a close out Albright 9' 12 wt @ $100 for myself and one for a fellow loreto fly fisher. We both thank all for the advise. I signed up on WFF less than a week ago and the advise and help has been outstanding.
simpleinterest jim bishop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts