Camping at Sprague Lake

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
The Game Department access site on the south side of Sprague Lake does it allow camping??

The Department's web site says NO. The Department's Biologist said YES.

Has anybody seen the signs on the ground banning camping??

Thanks.......

Signs at the gate (at least last year) say no camping. There are 2 commercial camp grounds and one rough camping area with a donation box. That site is on the south side road back toward town. The problem there is that if you have a watercraft that needs any significant water to launch you are out of luck. Beach is shallow out a long way and maybe you could back in a boat but I wasn't willing to try. Good Luck. W

Vladimir Steblina

Thanks to all for the replies.

The Department tends to close areas to camping when there are private campgrounds nearby so I sort of figuered the biologist was wrong.

Thanks Dustin, Cow was my back-up site.

Starman77

Vlad, I just read the short article in Northwest Fly Fishing magazine about Sprague Lake and wondered if you found any good rough camping at Sprague or Cow Lake? Was there even an outhouse at Cow Lake (don't see one on the aerial photos)? How was the fishing at Sprague or Cow? PM me if you don't want to post a report online. Thanks!

Rex

Vladimir Steblina

I never did go. I did look at google earth and there was plenty of room for a large rig.

This spring NW flyfishing channeled my mind and listed two or three new places on my list.

Starman77

Thanks, Vlad! That article talked about 10 pounders being caught in Sprague. I imagine that's probably an exaggeration, but it appears that there are some huge trout in that lake.

Rex

Huge trout yes, but extremely far and few between. Did I say extremely, just want to emphasis that.
Two or three years ago double digit trips were coming out of there pretty regular. Haven't heard anything in a year or so,though . Usually when I get over that way I opt for a different lake with double digit browns.

Lugan

Joe Streamer
Cow Lake has no outhouse or other facilities. It's just a road to a very pretty lake and inlet stream...that seem to have zero fish in them. Fished it summer of 2012 with a friend all day and we caught/felt/saw no signs of trout at all.

Starman77

Cow Lake has no outhouse or other facilities. It's just a road to a very pretty lake and inlet stream...that seem to have zero fish in them. Fished it summer of 2012 with a friend all day and we caught/felt/saw no signs of trout at all.

Thanks for the useful information! Too bad about no fish being there. Do you think it just gets fished out or did it summer or winter kill?

Rex

Lugan

Joe Streamer
Thanks for the useful information! Too bad about no fish being there. Do you think it just gets fished out or did it summer or winter kill?

We're still perplexed. WDFW has stocked Cow Lake in recent years (haven't check the past year though), and there was a glowing article about the rainbows in there in (I think) 2011 in NW Flyfishing. The habitat and water temps seemed fine - and this was late June 2012 in hot weather. Nonetheless, that was just one day of water temperature measurement, and our guess remains that the lake probably had a summer kill event between the time of the NW Flyfishing article and our day fishing it. I suppose it's possible that it was an off day and there were/are in fact fish in it, but it was so lifeless that this seems less likely.

We're still perplexed. WDFW has stocked Cow Lake in recent years (haven't check the past year though), and there was a glowing article about the rainbows in there in (I think) 2011 in NW Flyfishing. The habitat and water temps seemed fine - and this was late June 2012 in hot weather. Nonetheless, that was just one day of water temperature measurement, and our guess remains that the lake probably had a summer kill event between the time of the NW Flyfishing article and our day fishing it. I suppose it's possible that it was an off day and there were/are in fact fish in it, but it was so lifeless that this seems less likely.
Didn't fellow WFFer BDD pen that article about Cow lake for Northwest flyfishing? You could probably PM him for more detail.