$430 Brown: Idiot Award Shoe-In

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
How deep? I'm a decent free diver, up to 30' feet or so. I'd also be willing. You could blind fold me if you didn't want to give up location.

No doubt we could get your rod back.

That brown is just wicked.

Ira..

a_fors

that is an awesome fish! sorry about the rod...but there is hope, maybe someone will catch it for you....i've caught a rod out there before but it was old and crusty!

bakerite

I lost a rod to a fish out of the back of my boat in pass lake years ago. Checked my location. Took my brother and his friend back up with scuba gear and he found the line on the bottom, then the rod with a bonus of some huge crayfish! I would look for a friend with scuba gear.

Kent Lufkin

Remember when you could remember everything?
Idiot Award for losing your rod? Naw. I managed to lose a cousin's rod once landing a fish that wasn't nearly as nice as yours.

K

I've started carrying a small marker buoy with me (can you tell I've lost a few items?). The idea is that as soon as I drop something, I can send the weight down and have a pretty good idea of where my stuff is on the bottom. Then, I can hopefully drag it up with the weight and treble hook I also keep on hand. Fortunately, I haven't dropped anything of value since gearing up. This may not work as well when you don't realize right away that you lost something, but it will at least give you a general idea of where to start looking.

By the way FF, awesome fish.

ceviche

Holy Crap, Tim! That's one slab of a brown! Don't blame you or the fish for the lost rod and reel. It was a version of the camera jinx. Next time, just don't bring the camera--or just toss the camera over the side if you have a big fish on. Much safer that way.

--Dave E.

Ed Call

Tim, you know that magnetic clasp with a section of shock cord for your net...well...maybe you need another one of those.

Holy Crap, Tim! That's one slab of a brown! Don't blame you or the fish for the lost rod and reel. It was a version of the camera jinx. Next time, just don't bring the camera--or just toss the camera over the side if you have a big fish on. Much safer that way.

--Dave E.
Dave - Holy Crap as well...I'm considering this your resurrection! Haven't seen you in way too long. Hope you've been well + we're overdue for a Martha run.

BTW I hope you're happy. This is all your fault. Turning me into a brown trout junkie, and now I've lost my fishing gear and damn near died in a fist fight with one. He told me if I ever came back that more than my rod would end up at the bottom of that lake. You're a bad influence Dave. A bad influence.

Methow Roamer

Seeker of the Exotic and Aquatic
Someone needs to design a fly rod butt insert that is a 25' coil of heavy monofilament with some water soluble adhesive. Rod drops in and the adhesive dissolves, releasing the small cork knob, the coil of line and Ford_Fenders gets to catch that big brown's mate!
Funny that you bring that up. I've actually been designing/developing a product verymuch like that. Still working out the wrinkles. Probably not gonna be available until late next year, but I promise a WFF discount.