Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

fluorocarbon leader vs line

5K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  generic 
#1 ·
I have been buying fluorocarbon leader material at 12-15 dollars per 25 yds. I like it for my lake fishing and chironomid fishing. However, if I am fishing down 20 feet, I am using 5-6 yds at a time of this stuff and it goes fast. Fluorocarbon line is cheaper and you can buy a lot at a time, but I remember reading something about the leader material being different from the line material, I think I read that on the Seaguar site at one time. I seem to remember the leader has more shockabsorbing properties or something of that sort. My question is, do you all use just the leader material, or do you buy the regular line in the big spools to save money, and then do you get a lot of break offs? I must say that I lose very few fish on lakes to break-offs with using the leader material.

Thanks.

Wayne

#2 ·
Wayne, I buy Fluoro by the 200 yard spool, 4 lb is perfect for Chironomid fishing. $13.99 of Seaguar at Outdoor Emporium. I never have any problems with break off, it mostly from bad non-wetted knots. Your fly rod will suffice as all the shock absorbing and I rarely lose fish to break offs with the line.

#3 ·
Wayne,
Last year in Maui I purchased a spool of 6lb fluorocarbon leader materail (J-Line) out of a clearance rack at Maui Sporting Goods. I liked it, so recently, a buddy and I just placed an order for additional spools from the Tokunga store on the Big Island. The price is right and they sell it in a hard or soft.

Here is the link to check out. shipping worked out to about a buck a spool for a dozen spools we ordered. http://www.tokunagastore.com/Menu/JlineFX.htm

Jeff

#5 ·
I buy RIO Fluoroflex Plus in the 110yd vs. the 30yd spools. Significant savings, plus I read that fluorocarbon doesn't age or breakdown from the sunlight like mono, so I figure it won't be wasted. I also heard that tippet material was a bit softer and more shock absorbing than just line. Could just be marketing.

#9 ·
Chef I use pure fluoro all the way with no taper in 2/3rds of the line/leader from the flyline down, and nothing over 8 lb test. Why? Because fluoro sinks faster than mono and I want to get my bugs down fast so I am fishing. I also don't like tapered commercial and or custom made leaders b/c they get caught up in the slip release indicators. I can run up to 40' of 8 lb and still cast it relatively ok even with another 5-6' of 4 lb tippet. Forget about casting this set up from a toon or a tube, cause it doesn't work no matter how good of a caster you are.

#8 ·
You may already know but a lot of 200 yard spools are just coated fluoro line which is junk imo. i use 12 ft. 12 pound steelhead tapered leaders in mono , then have 10 - 8- 6 - n 4 pound floro for going deep and keeping a tapered line even at say 18 ft. ! 3 ft. of 8 to 3 ft. of 4 . pure seaguar fluoro is what i use .

#11 ·
I build my chironomid leaders out of Maxima ultragreen (12-15') then add 3-4' of quality fluorocarbon for tippet. I make a butt section (2') of 10 lb mono with a perfection loop on the end and use a triple surgeons knot to connect a body of 6 lb mono. My tippet varies from 3x-5x fluoro depending on the fishery and bugs I'm using. Maxima is very conservative in rating their mono. The 6lb is plenty stout for trout fishing and has a larger diameter than 3x (10lb) flouro tippet material. The 6 lb holds fine with a slip indi. Add a beadhead or two and this rig sinks quick.

#15 ·
at pass lake or when i will be using large chunks at a time i like to use the P-Line Flouroclear line. It is a fluorocarbon coated mono, and i like it's strength. I've caught 12lb steelhead on the 6lb variety no problem! that is what i use to tie my own tapered leaders, from the 20lb range down to 6 or 4 then i go to the tippet material to save some cash money. the spool of P-Line is like 8 bucks for 300 yards.

#19 ·
I like the Rio fluoroflex plus for small flies, because of the small diameter. I can thread a #20 midge emerger with 4x(7lb) easily, making it easier to land large fish on tiny flies. Other than that, I use P Line 100% fluorocarbon for everything else. Cheap by the big spool.

#22 ·
I know this is an old thread, but to sort of answer your question; If the box says 100% flourocarbon, it's 100% flourocarbon regaurldless who makes it.

Seagar is the only manufacture that sees it's product from the begining, to the shelf. No "middle man". Not sure that means much other than it makes some feel that the "quality control" issue is more well, in control. I use Seagar and P line. Remember, 100% flourocarbon is 100% flourocarbon.

I think there is actually only a few places that the stuff is made....I think. Seems like years ago when I did some research on the stuff, that's what I came up with.

Well, that's probably more than you wanted to know...:hmmm:

#23 ·
By the way, on my last outing I used the P-line and it worked wonderfully. I did have one breakoff on a hook set while chiro fishing (hard to rid myself of that old bass-fishing lip-ripping hook set) but it was at a knot that had already landed a few fish. I am happy with it.

wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.