Kodiak or Springbar tents

I am wondering about floor seams on the kodiak vs springbar. Springbar has stitched seams and kodiak has welded seams. For you guys out there who have had yours for some years, what's your observation. Are the welded seams holding up ok? I'm not worried about stitched seams. The welded ones I'm not sure about for long term longevity. Like to hear some feedback:)
I have owned a Springbar tent for over 10 years and never had an issue with the floor. My Kodiak tent is only two years old.. and never an issue there either.

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
OK, I just bought a Kodiak Canvas 10X14-the deluxe model. Put it up in the back 40 to get it "seasoned" for about 5 days, then broke it down and put it away for either elk or deer camp.

This tent is absolutely BITCHIN! Very well made-bombproof, in my opinion! Easy to set up even for an old guy who doesn't like to bend, and the deluxe is the one you want-the "bag" the tent goes into is the best, most simplistic, easiest thing I've ever had the pleasure to use. it's only available on the deluxe model, and is worth every penny for the fancier tent! Youtube has a bunch of reviews on them, and nowhere have I found a bad one. My friend Keegan was in elk camp last week for archery elk (yes, he did arrow a cow), and several of his buddies had them. He came away thinking pretty much what I've been saying. Great tent!!

Good to hear those seams are holding up. I do things backwards. My springbar is en route from UT and then I started reading forums. I don't know anyone in my circles who has a tent like these so I'm stabbin in the dark sorta

Good to hear those seams are holding up. I do things backwards. My springbar is en route from UT and then I started reading forums. I don't know anyone in my circles who has a tent like these so I'm stabbin in the dark sorta
You and your friends will love your tent especially when u get caught in bad weather and your tent is still standing and bone dry.

Just saw this thread and I know it's old but wanted to chime in on the new Springbar Highline Tent I just got. True that Springbar's Highline series is made overseas but I couldn't be happier with the quality of this tent. I was in Kirkham's in Salt Lake when I got it and was able to compare the Highline Tents with the USA made ones side by side and I have to say it's super hard to tell any difference. They have put a lot of work into the Highline series to get the same level of quality as they are known for and it shows. Still a little pricier than the Kodiak knock-offs but well worth it. The metal stake loops and quality of canvas are really built to last forever. I had this out in the Crested Butte area last weekend and got hammered by the monsoons. Was super impressed with the performance in such heavy rain, we even had several inches under the tent at one point and didn't have any leaking. Couple other things worth knowing, Kirkham's backs the Highline with the same lifetime warranty as they're other tents and can fix just about anything- and they have them in stock so you don;t have to get on the wait list for a tent. For me that was huge- my buddy had a Kodiak that tore and they did nothing for him- cause they don't have a sew shop. For the money, I think the Highline is hands down the best canvas tents out there. https://springbarcanvas.com/

Just saw this thread and I know it's old but wanted to chime in on the new Springbar Highline Tent I just got. True that Springbar's Highline series is made overseas but I couldn't be happier with the quality of this tent. I was in Kirkham's in Salt Lake when I got it and was able to compare the Highline Tents with the USA made ones side by side and I have to say it's super hard to tell any difference. They have put a lot of work into the Highline series to get the same level of quality as they are known for and it shows. Still a little pricier than the Kodiak knock-offs but well worth it. The metal stake loops and quality of canvas are really built to last forever. I had this out in the Crested Butte area last weekend and got hammered by the monsoons. Was super impressed with the performance in such heavy rain, we even had several inches under the tent at one point and didn't have any leaking. Couple other things worth knowing, Kirkham's backs the Highline with the same lifetime warranty as they're other tents and can fix just about anything- and they have them in stock so you don;t have to get on the wait list for a tent. For me that was huge- my buddy had a Kodiak that tore and they did nothing for him- cause they don't have a sew shop. For the money, I think the Highline is hands down the best canvas tents out there. https://springbarcanvas.com/
Awesome! Love hearing about these tents in rainstorms! They are absolutely the best. We caught in heavy gusts and hard rain on top of a hill this spring with a couple of other friends and their families. The one friends tent nearly took off in flight. We were snug as could be, enjoying rain wind and thunder. Just small tidbit for those researching springbar. The traveler 5 fits a family of four perfectly and a family of 5 decent. My personal recommendation is buy USA made even if it costs more. In the long run 200$-300$ is kinda immaterial.

I cant believe this old thread has been resurrected, I guess it shows the amount of interest in the Springbar and Kodiak line of tents. Either way you cannot go wrong. We've had our Springbar for 6 years and it still works and looks great. Well worth the money.

Richard E

I cant believe this old thread has been resurrected, I guess it shows the amount of interest in the Springbar and Kodiak line of tents. Either way you cannot go wrong. We've had our Springbar for 6 years and it still works and looks great. Well worth the money.
Agree. About ten years ago my mom, Queen of the Yard Sale Bargains, bought a perfect condition Springbar tent for a crazy good price (so good I won't even share it here) at a yard sale. I stayed in this on a fishing trip in SE Oregon where we had wind that made it difficult to stand, and walking in to the wind I felt like I had to lean in to it at a substantial angle to get anywhere. The tent shouldered both snow and rain during this storm, as well. The tent during the entire deluge and blow was BOMBPROOF. My dad put a blue tarp over a portion of the tent as extra protection, but I don't know that it was needed. I was so impressed.

I appreciate some of the earlier comments folks made about REI tents like the Kingdom and what not, and I think in may conditions they would do fine, but I don't know they would have fared as well on the trip as did the Springbar. Kind of like the story of the three pigs; the lighter newer model tents would have been those homes made of sticks, and the Springbar the brick house the wolf couldn't blow down.

I agree that you cannot go wrong with the Springbar Tents, however their absolutely are differences between the Highline Series and the Tents made in Salt Lake City. The Highline absolutely looks like a great value, but the quality in the Sunforger treated canvas is second to none. I have a 25 year old tent that is still Waterproof! It has held up in every condition that has been thrown at it: Rain, snow, sleet, hail! If you are lucky enough to go see them side by side you can feel the canvas on both, and you will notice the difference in the quality of the USA made tents. If money is a factor the Highline series is a great value, and you still get that lifetime warranty covered in Salt Lake City, but if you are like me and want the highest quality tent that will last your lifetime, and want to pass it down to your kids the USA Springbar is the way to go. Easily the best long term value of all three options.

Thought I would write up an update to our Springbar. First thing; still holding up like a champ no issues what so ever after seven years !

I had been intrigued by photos of the Kodiak tents with their wing vestibule. So happening by Cabela’s in preparation to a trip to central Oregon this last week I see one on the shelf. With our pop up canopy busted, and in anticipation of possible bad weather, I decide to chance trying it with my Springbar.

I set up our tent in the back yard and found a couple of issues. One, is the grommets on the wing are too small to fit over the Springbar portico (front awning) poles. This is easily remedied with carefully enlarging the holes with a metal punch. Same issue with the metal ridge pole supplied with the wing. This pole connects the two poles at either end of the awning. I simply enlarged those holes with a metal drill. The Springbar awning is slightly wider than the wing , creating a small ¼ “ gap on one side. I think this can be fixed with a slight relocation of a grommet.

Fairly pleased with this, we were able to create a enclosed area for keeping us and extra equipment dry, and for light cooking. In warmer weather the portico wings ( blue material) can be opened up and extended to create another open shaded area.

Attachments

bigfun4me

Team Infidel
Years ago I was camping in Hells Canyon while bass fishing with friends. We endured a wind storm that flattened every tent in the campground except a couple of Springbar's. I concluded after spending a few nights in a dive motel 75 miles away the Springbar is a much better investment.

Last edited:

Latest posts