Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Advice on afixing regis numbers/decal to pontoons

Boats 
982 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  mojo 
#1 ·
This is such a great site for information. My husband and I both have 9' pontoons. Mine is a denier outer and his is rubber. I do not want to stick the required registration numbers/decal on the outside of the bladder and am interested in how others are handling this.

For the rest of this year they are on a piece of flexible cutting board, zip tied to the frame. Works but not what I want for good.

Any ideas are appreciated - Thanks!
Camille

#2 ·
I have seen some folks that have used patch/d-ring bonding adhesives for the rubber/pvc type boats. I have seen one fabric bladder cover boat that used some sort of fabric glue. I asked the gent a few years ago when I saw his and had a similar boat with the cloth covers. I can't recall what he said the product was, but he got it at the local craft store and he says it worked and lasted just fine. Best of luck.

#4 ·
This is such a great site for information. My husband and I both have 9' pontoons. Mine is a denier outer and his is rubber. I do not want to stick the required registration numbers/decal on the outside of the bladder and am interested in how others are handling this.
Eh? Who says your pontoon boat has to be registered? What do you know that I don't? Thanks.

#5 ·
She's from Idaho, maybe all craft get registerd there. If you are in USCG navigable waters here you have to register your pontoon. Got any other adhesive or mounting ideas to share?

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice - have to register it since I will be using a trolling motor. Which after the 20 mph winds I was in last weekend will be a great addition : )

I think I will settle on a hard plastic (think parking signs) that I can strap on while on the water and take off for transportation.

Will certainly welcome any other ideas!!!

#9 ·
Have you verified that you need them with your trolling motor? Or are you actually running gas? It's really iffy depending on who you talk to.

#10 ·
In California, they also require that any vessel ( could be an inner tube or anything that floats ) powered via gas or electric had to be registered to. The Vessel ID had to be visible both on the starboard and port side.

I also had a toon with denier covers. What I did was stitched on some industrial grade Velcro to my toon. I went and placed the ID numbers on a clear sheet of plastic (the kind you see on cheap posters or picture frames). You can buy it at any craft store. I did it that way so it can be removed when not needed. By placing the ID on that sheet of plastic, it stows away very easily by simply rolling it up! I placed mine away in small section of PVC pipe and stowed it in one of the bladder pockets.

#11 ·
Any water vessel in Idaho and Utah (and I think Montana also) that has a motor on it- gas, electric etc. has to be licensed.
Here's how I did it. Plexiglass, stick on letters and numbers, plastic/nylon quick connect clips- male and female, the male ends go around the frame with velcro strips. I just unclip the plexiglass and put them in the side bags when the boat is transported, or when I don't use the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.